Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Anyone else been following this daily saga? There are 4 different audio releases out there now of Mel saying all sorts of nutty things. You can listen to them all on www.radaronline.com if you haven't caught the insanity yet.

Probably the most fascinating celebrity audio I've ever heard, it blows the Bale stuff away in the first five seconds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

On a side note, I would LOVE to know what Radar Online paid for these recordings. They have them exclusively on their site.

Somewhere Tom Cruise is laughing. Cruise goes from resident Hollywood-town crazy to second fiddle after this performance from Mel. On a more serious note -- Mel Gibson really is a messed up human being. Physical abuse and death threats against his ex wife/girlfriend? I wonder what kind of sentence (if any) he'll receive.

While the guy has definitely gone off the deep end, and his comments are simply outrageous, I'd like to know where this audio was obtained from? Cell phone? Isn't that a violation of the law, an invasion of one's privacy? I could see if she received those calls, and out of fear for her safety, personally turned them over to police. But other then that, I don't know.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While the guy has definitely gone off the deep end, and his comments are simply outrageous, I'd like to know where this audio was obtained from? Cell phone? Isn't that a violation of the law, an invasion of one's privacy? I could see if she received those calls, and out of fear for her safety, personally turned them over to police. But other then that, I don't know.
    Under federal law, only the consent of one part is required to record. So in that case she would be allowed to use the recordings. But as I'm assuming this took place in California she would be in violation of the law, as the consent of all parties is required in that state. Now, that said, the person on those recordings is truly behaving like a monster regardless of the legality of recording him.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The thing is I don't think these calls will be admissable in court due to the way she recorded them but there's nothing to say she can't release them to the public. It's a free country.

I know I enjoy every second of them.

Knowing that Mel has been diagnosed as a manic depressive, and has a history of alcoholism, and the rumors that this is all about her not letting him see his daughter after she agreed to the visitations in court, I empathize with him as someone who is a father and has dealt with depression, not saying that I condone the actions or language that he used.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The thing is I don't think these calls will be admissable in court due to the way she recorded them but there's nothing to say she can't release them to the public. It's a free country.
    It is a free country, but that doesn't mean you can do what you want without being held responsible for your actions. I CAN go out and do 100 on the highway. But I will get punished for it by the law.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is a free country, but that doesn't mean you can do what you want without being held responsible for your actions. I CAN go out and do 100 on the highway. But I will get punished for it by the law.
    Nah. They're more likely to pick off the guy going 75 cause he's easier to catch.

In all seriousness I agree with you. She has the right to release the tapes, and she also has to be prepared to deal with the consequences. Just like Gibson has the right to be insane, but has to be prepared for the public backlash.

I think she was baiting him during the calls. Smart girl.

Gibson's family is pretty interesting....and kooky. His father Hutton, was born in the US to an American father and an Australian opera soprano. Hutton went on to become an uber-Catholic writer, the 1968 Jeopardy grand champion and a conspiracy-weaving, holocaust-denying, anti-semite.

Hutton married an Irish immigrant and moved the family from upstate New York to Australia when Mel was 12.

Mel holds dual American-Irish citizenship.

(Gotta love wikipedia)

I believe CA is one of the states where only one party needs to provide consent to legally tape a phone call. I KNOW, however, that there is a caveat that allows one to record a phone call without receiving permission if one has a legitimate reason to fear for one's life.

Now whether or not Mel is really capable of 'putting her in a rose garden' ... those utterances, and dozens of others, give her a clear legal right to record the phone calls under that stipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    On a side note, I would LOVE to know what Radar Online paid for these recordings. They have them exclusively on their site.
    Stern had the founder of Radar on today (formerly editor in chief of Enquirer magazine) who claims they didn't pay for them nor did they receive them DIRECTLY from Mel's wife.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think using them in court was ever the idea. I think they are just being released, one every day so far, until Mel just throws money her way. A LOT of money her way. It's essentially extortion. Radar on line claims to have "30 minutes worth" of tirade material that they are leaking daily.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Knowing that Mel has been diagnosed as a manic depressive, and has a history of alcoholism, and the rumors that this is all about her not letting him see his daughter after she agreed to the visitations in court, I empathize with him as someone who is a father and has dealt with depression, not saying that I condone the actions or language that he used.
    Also if you know anything about his childhood and his relationship to his father (his father is one of the most famous Holocaust deniers in the world) you would understand that he's been fighting serious demons his whole life.

Nothing justifies his actions and words, but I have to feel sorry for someone who clearly experiences such emotional turmoil in his private life.

For what it's worth, I know many people who have worked with him and everyone says the same thing. He is one of the nicest and most generous stars to work with. He actually has a clause in all lf his contracts that any special treatment he gets, the whole cast and crew gets. They all eat first class meals, travel first class, etc.

Again, those tapes reveal a monster, but clearly a tortured monster.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?