Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Re: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Is it worth checking out?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

She was taping Mel (and perhaps baiting him) so that their unborn child will be her custody.

I like Mel. This spells the end of his career, but I like the guy. Everyone has some problems.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    She was taping Mel (and perhaps baiting him) so that their unborn child will be her custody.

I like Mel. This spells the end of his career, but I like the guy. Everyone has some problems.

That's your take on what he said? Seriously?

Their child's not unborn, she's 8 months old now. And she also got bruises thanks to dear old dad who just had to slug mom while she was holding the baby.
    Last edited by WMR; 07-17-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Gibson is one of my favorite directors of all time, but those are the words of a raving lunatic, I don't care if he's 'being baited' or not.

You're really sympathizing with a man who told a woman that he hit her while she was holding THEIR CHILD because she 'deserved it'?

His words are way beyond indefensible.

Evil broad, obviously set him up. Golddigging scum

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Gibson is one of my favorite directors of all time, but those are the words of a raving lunatic, I don't care if he's 'being baited' or not.

You're really sympathizing with a man who told a woman that he hit her while she was holding THEIR CHILD because she 'deserved it'?

His words are way beyond indefensible.
    It was his opinion. I see nothing wrong with what he said (the poster, that is).

Gibson has problems. How is that incorrect? By all accounts, he's a great guy outside of his relationships and around his work. He clearly has emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life. No one is disputing that.

I share Jay's view on this. Some people listen to those words and say, 'wow, what a lunatic.' And make no mistake, those were some unreal audio clips to listen to.

But casting people off as a crazy lunatic does nothing for them or us. I hear those and I want to know what it is going on in his head that made him that way. Contrary to popular belief, I believe people with that kind of anger problem has psychological issues that if we better understood, we could treat or help them and better prevent it from happening to others.

I don't subscribe to the idea that everyone is a victim. Nor would I ever dismiss words or actions as being no big deal because of some psychological scars. However, I also don't see the need to belittle someone's opinion for liking the guy and being disappointed that he has problems. Shame on someone for having compassion and humanity to those with problems or have behaved inappropriately.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Pity poor Mel. Be a millionaire a thousand times over, cheat on your wife, lose most of your fortune, shack up with your mistress, threaten to shoot her.

Most guys go through midlife crises without waving a heater at their mistress. I think Mel--who's had every advantage known to man--can muster the courage not to do so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Pity poor Mel. Be a millionaire a thousand times over, cheat on your wife, lose most of your fortune, shack up with your mistress, threaten to shoot her.

Most guys go through midlife crises without waving a heater at their mistress. I think Mel--who's had every advantage known to man--can muster the courage not to do so as well.

FCB types it perfectly, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Shame on someone for having compassion and humanity to those with problems or have behaved inappropriately.
    Behaved inappropriately? Nothing wrong with compassion but let's not whitewash his actions here. How far down the social ladder does your compassion extend?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

FCB types it perfectly, as usual.
    "Hello credibility, wait wait where are you going..."

There are plenty of guys out there with psychological issues that cause them to say or do things that put their family at risk. I don't have a problem with people showing compassion for the guy, but you have to make sure his child and ex are protected. If that means prosecuting him and sentencing him to jail and/or treatment, that is what you have to do. So many people fail at treatment because they don't understand the full extent of their illness and the danger it poses to themself and others. Maybe his ex knows how to push his buttons, but it's clear he needs to do something before he causes more serious harm and ruins the lives of people he loves as well as his own.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Behaved inappropriately? Nothing wrong with compassion but let's not whitewash his actions here. How far down the social ladder does your compassion extend?
    I'm not whitewashing anything. What he said/did was completely wrong.

I think the difference where I'm coming from is that I judge actions, not people. What Mel Gibson did was despicable, upsetting, reprehensible, etc. However, as an individual, I think he's a guy that means well but is a ticking time bomb when it comes to love and relationships.

This isn't about him or her. Clearly I don't like what happened to her and I hope she gets out of there and in a situation she feels safe from harm. I just don't want to let myself define someone based on this narrow series of incidents. Instead, I just hope we continue as a society, to find out why this pattern is repeatable with some individuals.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm sure Mel Gibson's anti-Semitism and misogyny is just tongue-in-cheek wink wink, nudge nudge stuff.

I get it: people can be monsters and great artists. But I don't think this outburst is caused by some closed-off part of himself--his anger and hatred permeates a good deal of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not whitewashing anything. What he said/did was completely wrong.

I think the difference where I'm coming from is that I judge actions, not people. What Mel Gibson did was despicable, upsetting, reprehensible, etc. However, as an individual, I think he's a guy that means well but is a ticking time bomb when it comes to love and relationships.

This isn't about him or her. Clearly I don't like what happened to her and I hope she gets out of there and in a situation she feels safe from harm. I just don't want to let myself define someone based on this narrow series of incidents. Instead, I just hope we continue as a society, to find out why this pattern is repeatable with some individuals.
    For me, it isn't a narrow set of indictments. He has been caught boozing with all kinds of women, slurring jews, slurring blacks and abusing, physically and verbally, women. I don't doubt he's got some perspectives on gays as well, just to round out the minority circuit. All this while being preachy in all his films.

Look, as anyone who's been near a loved one enduring verbal abuse from their spouse, ex-spouse, whatever, I have NO SYMPATHY for Mel Gibson. He is a monster. This woman may have saved her life by doing this. At least now she can rest assured.

To side with him in this case is ignorant, completely ignorant. You'd have to have listened to Tracy Jones' take to even imagine it. That kind of rage he displayed is just not justified under the circumstance.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

To side with him in this case is ignorant, completely ignorant. You'd have to have listened to Tracy Jones' take to even imagine it. That kind of rage he displayed is just not justified under the circumstance.
    We don't even know the circumstances yet.

Also, I'd like to know if anything like this ever happened with his ex-wife and mother to 7 of his kids.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?