Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

Re: The Insanity of Mel Gibson

"Inappropriate behavior", "personality flaws", "emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life" -- maybe you're not dimissing his behavior but sure spinning it pretty hard.
    Last edited by Rojo; 07-19-2010 at 06:54 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

[QUOTE=Rojo;2162918]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    "Inappropriate behavior", "personality flaws", "emotional/security issues when it comes to his love life" -- maybe you're not dimissing his behavior but sure spinning it pretty hard.
    You say spin, I say adding much needed perspective to the conversation.

After all, this is based on the accusations of a woman that claims to be scared for her life, yet a) may have extorted him for money and b) comes across as not having any fear whatsoever on those tapes - to the extent she's perfectly calm and sounds more like baiting him to go off than being afraid of what he may do; and c) the ex-wife is standing behind him claiming he never lifted a finger toward her or was abusive.

So yeah, I tremendously question the seriousness of this. It really comes across as not too much more than blowing off a lot of steam, albeit done in extremely poor taste and in a hostile manner.

If this situation was as dire as she's suggesting, i.e. she was fearing he would hurt her, this course of action is not consistent with that pattern of behavior. If she's not actually afraid, despite these words, I don't know how I should be concerned with their veracity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If had only forced himself to vomit on her...

None of us KNOW what happened, and Mel hasn't come out with his side of the story. Maybe he did hit her. Assuming those tapes haven't been edited, he certainly didn't deny it. However, what preceded that? Did she hit him first? Take a swing at him and he reacted? It's possible. We don't know, but it's possible.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

[QUOTE=Brutus the Pimp;2162933]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    You say spin, I say adding much needed perspective to the conversation.
    And doing a lousy job of it. You undercut your argument by soft-peddling these rantings as "inappropriate."

[QUOTE=Rojo;2163222]

And doing a lousy job of it. You undercut your argument by soft-peddling these rantings as "inappropriate."
    I would say you're doing a lousy job of taking all the other questions into account. Tit-for-tat.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Man Pills

I would say you're doing a lousy job of taking all the other questions into account. Tit-for-tat.
    What questions? We're not a jury. He says racist and sexist stuff constantly. Most folks think he's sexist and racist and unglued.

Tell us where we're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    What questions? We're not a jury. He says racist and sexist stuff constantly. Most folks think he's sexist and racist and unglued.

Tell us where we're wrong.
    I posted several issues in Post #62. Several folks have pointed out that we don't know exactly what happened beyond those tapes. Even those tapes are not in full, could have been edited and are very suspicious given some of the other circumstances. That we're not playing with a full deck on this story should be obvious. We can't make full conclusions, though it's not stopping people from trying - which is usual.

Man Pills

I posted several issues in Post #62. Several folks have pointed out that we don't know exactly what happened beyond those tapes. Even those tapes are not in full, could have been edited and are very suspicious given some of the other circumstances. That we're not playing with a full deck on this story should be obvious. We can't make full conclusions, though it's not stopping people from trying - which is usual.
    Police have him on record spouting anti-Semitic garbage. Are you saying the police are lying?

Has anyone else read Whoopi Goldberg, who claims to be a long time friend of Gibson's, defense of him?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Has anyone else read Whoopi Goldberg, who claims to be a long time friend of Gibson's, defense of him?
    Here's a link about that...

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20..._the_view.html

We don't even know the circumstances yet.

Also, I'd like to know if anything like this ever happened with his ex-wife and mother to 7 of his kids.
    I'm not looking forward to the he said/she said for any conclusive evidence. Basically, no one deserves to be spoken to that way. Even beyond that he has shown once again he's still a racist jerk.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm not looking forward to the he said/she said for any conclusive evidence. Basically, no one deserves to be spoken to that way. Even beyond that he has shown once again he's still a racist jerk.
    While that may be true, that's not illegal.

While that may be true, that's not illegal.
    Maybe I've lost track of this thread titled "The Insanity of Mel Gibson", but we're not talking about legality here - at all. Mel Gibson is a monstrous jerk and I think that's abundantly clear.

I'll take into effect the 5th definition of monstrous, which is "deviating greatly from the natural form or character". Yep, that's what I heard.

I'll wait for "gold digger gate" to settle and if those conspiratorial "edited tapes" are found guilty, I'll apologize to potty mouth Gibson and his racist friend, Whoopie.

Like I said a few days ago, you have to take these cases seriously, because lots and lots of women actually do suffer from this kind of abuse throughout their lives by maniacal, monstrous jerks. Right now she's got the tapes and he's got lawyers and rich friends.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

Life if rarely black and white. People aren't either good guys or bad guys. We are all very complex, mixed up individuals who can be both very bad and very good without contradiction. But that doesn't excuse our actions or make them any less dangerous when they become threatening.

Whether or not Gibson was baited or encouraged or whatever the circumstances turn out to be, his response was monsterous, evil, unjustifiable, and dangerous. I have been baited, and I have exploded for no good reason, and said things that I still to this day regret. But I have never in such a fit of anger said anything as sexist, racist, anti-semitic, violent or hateful as what Gibson said.

No matter the circumstances, it it obvious that Gibson is a hatefilled misogynist, racist who needs help before he seriously hurts himself or others. The fact that he seems like a nice guy 99% of the time is all the more reason to be even more afraid of him.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?