Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Trade Deadline Buyers and Sellers

MLB Trade Deadline Buyers and Sellers

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/14/m...s-and-sellers/

I don't really see any top end starters on that list, but for the bullpen, would the Brewers be a match with Riske or Coffey?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Trade Deadline Buyers and Sellers

I like Dotel

Also wouldn't mind DeJesus and Farnsworth.. 30K's in 37 innings giving up just over a hit an inning.... and has allowed 10 Runs this year..
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see a starting pitcher as being a priority for us. I know we don't have that proverbial ace, but our staff overall matches up very well with other clubs. Add in our offense, and I just don't see the need. IMO our top 2 needs are a well rounded SS (or at least a move to Janish more), and some upgraded bullpen arms.

Let's match the buyers up with their logical seller counterparts.

Buyer: Angels - Bullpen and 1st base
    Seller: Blue Jays - Scott Downs & Lyle Overbay

Braves - RH Bat
    Brewers - Corey Hart

Cardinals - Mid Level Starter
    Indians - Jake Westbrook

Dodgers - Starter & Reliever
    Brewers - Carlos Villanueva & *Randy Wolf (*Not on sellers list)

Giants - Bat
    Marlins - Jorge Cantu

Mets - Bullpen & Top End Starter
    Cubs - Carlos Marmol & Ted Lilly

Padres - Bat
    Royals - Jose Guillen

Phillies - Mid Level Starter, Bullpen & IF
    Oakland - Ben Sheets
    KC - Alberto Callaspo & Kyle Farnsworth

Rangers - Top end Starter (still, really?)
    NO TRADE AVAILABLE that they can afford

Rays - RF
    NA

Red Sox - OF Depth & Bullpen
    Royals - David DeJesus

Rockies - IF
    No good match

Tigers - Bullpen
    Brewers - David Riske

Twins - Top end starter & 3rd Base
    O's - Ty Wigginton (no pitching available in their price range)

White Sox - LH bat
    Brewers - Prince Fielder

Yankees - Bench & Bullpen
    Who knows

Reds - TOR Starter and Bullpen
    D-Backs - Chad Qualls
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-14-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I have never been a Farnsworth fan, but he might be the best bet to improve the pen.

Dotel's ERA and WHIP numbers are a concern. Riske hasn't pitched very much so I wonder about his health. I'm not sure the Reds want to try any more Coffey. If the price is reasonable, Farnsworth might be worth a try.

I also like Callaspo. He was a shortstop in the Angels system, but they were deep at the position. He was right there developmentally with Aybar, and Brandon Wood was a level below and emerging (at the time) as their top prospect. With their depth at shortstop, the Angels moved Callaspo to second base. When the Angels decided Howie Kendrick was a future batting champ, Callaspo became expendable.

I don't know if the Reds and Royals match up though. It seems they have similar strengths in their systems. Seemingly, they wouldn't want Alonso with Hosmer around, and they have minor league pitching depth.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I have never been a Farnsworth fan, but he might be the best bet to improve the pen.

Dotel's ERA and WHIP numbers are a concern. Riske hasn't pitched very much so I wonder about his health. I'm not sure the Reds want to try any more Coffey. If the price is reasonable, Farnsworth might be worth a try.

I also like Callaspo. He was a shortstop in the Angels system, but they were deep at the position. He was right there developmentally with Aybar, and Brandon Wood was a level below and emerging (at the time) as their top prospect. With their depth at shortstop, the Angels moved Callaspo to second base. When the Angels decided Howie Kendrick was a future batting champ, Callaspo became expendable.

I don't know if the Reds and Royals match up though. It seems they have similar strengths in their systems. Seemingly, they wouldn't want Alonso with Hosmer around, and they have minor league pitching depth.
    Callaspo is a butcher. Brutal defender. I do think we match up well with KC though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Callaspo is a butcher. Brutal defender. I do think we match up well with KC though.
    Really, I didn't know that, he's looked solid (and versatile) every time I have seen him. Good bat off the bench at least.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I just don't see a starting pitcher as being a priority for us. I know we don't have that proverbial ace, but our staff overall matches up very well with other clubs. Add in our offense, and I just don't see the need. IMO our top 2 needs are a well rounded SS (or at least a move to Janish more), and some upgraded bullpen arms.
    Agreed, and that is probably why Lee isn't here right now. Walt isn't going to overpay when he might not need to get that guy. If a TOR guy is there for the taking and the price is in the budget, 100% he'd make the deal. But I think they are happy with this team and with the future of the team. They aren't going to burn it down just because they are within striking distance in 2010. That would be a rookie move, to be quite honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Let's match the buyers up with their logical seller counterparts.

Buyer: Angels - Bullpen and 1st base
    Seller: Blue Jays - Scott Downs & Lyle Overbay

Braves - RH Bat
    Brewers - Corey Hart

Cardinals - Mid Level Starter
    Indians - Jake Westbrook

Dodgers - Starter & Reliever
    Brewers - Carlos Villanueva & *Randy Wolf (*Not on sellers list)

Giants - Bat
    Marlins - Jorge Cantu

Mets - Bullpen & Top End Starter
    Cubs - Carlos Marmol & Ted Lilly

Padres - Bat
    Royals - Jose Guillen

Phillies - Mid Level Starter, Bullpen & IF
    Oakland - Ben Sheets
    KC - Alberto Callaspo & Kyle Farnsworth

Rangers - Top end Starter (still, really?)
    NO TRADE AVAILABLE that they can afford

Rays - RF
    NA

Red Sox - OF Depth & Bullpen
    Royals - David DeJesus

Rockies - IF
    No good match

Tigers - Bullpen
    Brewers - David Riske

Twins - Top end starter & 3rd Base
    O's - Ty Wigginton (no pitching available in their price range)

White Sox - LH bat
    Brewers - Prince Fielder

Yankees - Bench & Bullpen
    Who knows

Reds - TOR Starter and Bullpen
    D-Backs - Chad Qualls
    In your view why wouldn't the Rockies and Marlins (Uggla) be a good match?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    When Callaspo was in the Angels' system, he was skinny little guy with a good middle infielder's glove. He has bulked up, added some power to his bat, but lost some range. He still has pretty good hands, can provide some offense, and wouldn't be a bad bench addition.

How do the Reds "match up well with KC"?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/14/m...s-and-sellers/

I don't really see any top end starters on that list, but for the bullpen, would the Brewers be a match with Riske or Coffey?
    Hopefully the Brewers have forgave the Reds for tricking them into taking Weathers last year for their playoff run.Besides, doesn't Coffey hate the Reds?

Yeah, Coffey isn't too fond of the Reds.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Hopefully the Brewers have forgave the Reds for tricking them into taking Weathers last year for their playoff run.Besides, doesn't Coffey hate the Reds?
    No, He hates Redszone....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Seattle is still a good match for the Reds, if they're interested in Aardsma. Not sure I see too much different between he and Qualls though. Dotel and Lindstrom are two more interesting options. Mariners fans are pretty much anointing Brandon League as their next closer, and quite a few want Aardsma gone. I don't know much about him, other than the few times I saw him in the Cinci interleague series. His k and bb rates are better than Cordero (if that says anything). Aardsma and League are both under control for 2 more years, I think...so Seattle might not have a lot of motivation to move.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Seattle is still a good match for the Reds, if they're interested in Aardsma. Not sure I see too much different between he and Qualls though. Dotel and Lindstrom are two more interesting options. Mariners fans are pretty much anointing Brandon League as their next closer, and quite a few want Aardsma gone. I don't know much about him, other than the few times I saw him in the Cinci interleague series. His k and bb rates are better than Cordero (if that says anything). Aardsma and League are both under control for 2 more years, I think...so Seattle might not have a lot of motivation to move.
    Aardsma's numbers are very similar to Cordero's. Do we really need another Coco?

Turn Off Ads?