Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,037

    The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Some ASB musings:

    Ryan Hanigan and Drew Stubbs have about an equal amout of plate appearances: 500 for Hanigan, 527 for Stubbs. But that's were the similarities end.

    Hanigan is a slow-footed catcher with little pop but a nifty .380 OBA.

    Stubbs is sitting on a pretty awful .310 OBA but is averaging 24 homers and 34 steals per 162 game season.

    So who wins, nine Ryans or nine Drews?

    We all know that "outs-are-precious" argument for Hanigan. But in a 162 game season, Stubbs is averaging 94 runs and 77 RBI while Hanigan is averaging a paltry 45 runs and 41 RBI.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Give me 9 Stubbs.

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    In this matchup, will there be a DH? I ask because that might be the deciding factor.

  5. #4
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    This is a really interesting question. Both play difficult defensive positions, both have an offensive strength and weakness, both have an intriguing amount of playing time that makes one want to see more.

    I'd kind of have to give the edge to Stubbs and the only reason is age.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  6. #5
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    This is a really interesting question. Both play difficult defensive positions, both have an offensive strength and weakness, both have an intriguing amount of playing time that makes one want to see more.

    I'd kind of have to give the edge to Stubbs and the only reason is age.
    A stat guy as yoursef, what consideration do you give to the fact that Hanigan typically is your 8 hole batter. I just can't shake the fact that I don't want him up at the dish in a high stress at bat. His 2 K's the other day in Wood's game really got me down on him (In that his stats are decieving...don't get me wrong I like him on the 25 man)

  7. #6
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A stat guy as yoursef, what consideration do you give to the fact that Hanigan typically is your 8 hole batter. I just can't shake the fact that I don't want him up at the dish in a high stress at bat. His 2 K's the other day in Wood's game really got me down on him (In that his stats are decieving...don't get me wrong I like him on the 25 man)
    Against Roy Halladay, wow tough to please or what? Hanny is a solid player in a tight situation, good eye, great contact guy who understands the game and what he must do in each and every circumstance.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-14-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  8. #7
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A stat guy as yoursef, what consideration do you give to the fact that Hanigan typically is your 8 hole batter.
    I consider that having nothing to do with him and entirely due to his manager.

    I just can't shake the fact that I don't want him up at the dish in a high stress at bat.
    I can't really say because be barely has enough career PAs to evaluate his offensive game let alone break it down into situational splits.

    His 2 K's the other day in Wood's game really got me down on him (In that his stats are decieving...don't get me wrong I like him on the 25 man)
    I would have a hard time ranking two poor PAs against one of the best pitchers in baseball in his first game back after being out for a couple-few weeks over his career numbers.

    I think he's a very disciplined hitter who gets on base a lot and seems to be a decent receiver behind the plate.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  9. #8
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    His job was basically make contact. He had 2 at bats. Even against Halladay that gets a thumbs down from me.

  10. #9
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Would Hanigan have the same batting numbers if he batted leadoff Nate, in your opinion.

  11. #10
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would Hanigan have the same batting numbers if he batted leadoff Nate, in your opinion.
    I think it's likely he could put up a 12-ish% BB/rate no matter where he hits.

    Even hitting "leadoff Nate!"

    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  12. #11
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    His job was basically make contact. He had 2 at bats. Even against Halladay that gets a thumbs down from me.
    It's 2 ABs.

    He certainly wasn't alone in "making donuts" that day.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  13. #12
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,797

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    So thats how its gonna be Nate? I ask if you think Hanigan would put up the same batting numbers if he hit leadoff, and your answer is he would have the same BB/rate. Sounds like a dodge to me if I didn't know better.

    In all seriousness, lets talk about BA,OBP,SLG. Do you think Hanigan would put up the same numbers he does now, should he be moved to leadoff. Granted this is a mental exercise, but what do you say?

  14. #13
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Give me 9 Stubbs.

    Power - Check
    RBI's - Check
    Speed - Check
    Runs - Check

    Plus he has alot of room for improvement, Where as IMO Hanny is the best we will ever see him.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  15. #14
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,029

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    God forgive me for sounding like Dusty Baker here, but I like Drew's outfield speed and defense and his speed on the basepaths. I've always attributed his lack of a high average to no one hitting behind him and lack of patience, but that can be cured. You can't cure slow of foot and some people just have no "pop."

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,037

    Re: The Ying and Yan of Stubbs and Hannigan

    Or yin and yang.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25