Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volquez returns Saturday - How do we welcome him?

Volquez returns Saturday - How do we welcome him?

As John Fay mentions here, Edinson is likely to start Saturday night:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...rowing-harder/

How should we, as fans of the Reds, welcome him back? Should the 50 games suspension for performance enhancing drugs affect how we cheer for Edinson?

I definitely want to see him do well, but I also remember being disgusted by Giant fans for unashamedly cheering for their cheater. Now that it's our guy do we just look the other way?

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez returns Saturday - How do we welcome him?

I don't recall Bonds ever breaking any rules. As for Edinson I don't see why you would treat him any differently than any of the other Reds. I'll be cheering for him out in the bleachers.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

I'm gonna welcome him with open arms

It will embarrassing if we boo him
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    It will embarrassing if we boo him
    I'm not so sure. How many times have fans said "just once I want to see a player admit fault and take full responsibility." I've sometimes thought "just once I want to see fans hold a home player accountable for their actions." But maybe I'm alone in this.

As for those saying we should embrace him: is that because you don't think he did anything wrong or because you don't care if he broke a rule? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I'm not so sure. How many times have fans said "just once I want to see a player admit fault and take full responsibility." I've sometimes thought "just once I want to see fans hold a home player accountable for their actions." But maybe I'm alone in this.

As for those saying we should embrace him: is that because you don't think he did anything wrong or because you don't care if he broke a rule? Just curious.
    No doubt it was wrong and he broke a rule. But I don't think he did it as the same reason as Bonds and those guys. I hope we don't act like the Cubs and boo our players
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

He's not going to be booed. There is no reason to debate it. People remember the first half of 2008, not him being suspended while he was on the DL.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Most of the elite athletes in all sports around the world are using PED's like HGH and various synthetic steroids. Baseball players have certainly cut back, as you can just by watching the game. But I'm sure that many/most are still using to the degree that they can without getting caught. Volquez got a little greedy and didn't give everything time to get out of his system before testing.

If you want to know more about PED usage, follow the ongoing drama in pro cycling where Floyd Landis has been telling everyone how athletes are beating testing and continuing to use steroids etc. If you think they are doing it in sports like cycling, I'm sure they are in baseball where more money is involved. In cycling you get an immediate suspension much longer than baseball, 2-3 years, so the risk is greater in cycling. But they still do it because it is the only way to be competitive.

Also, if athletes around the world were no longer using PED's, you would see average times coming down in sports like track & field, cycling, swimming etc. However, the times keep getting faster in these sports.

Standing Ovation. I already forgot about the suspension. We need him to help carry this team to the playoffs...I know I will be standing and yelling at the game Saturday night 100% behind him and the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    I hope we don't act like the Cubs and boo our players
    Every team boos their players now and then. But I can't remember a time when a team booed one of their guys for cheating. "When you're hitting .200, it ain't 'Boone!' " (Bret Boone).

So it seems to me the general consensus thus far is that taking PEDs really isn't that big of a deal? Not something that fans will/should get worked up about?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Standing Ovation. I already forgot about the suspension. We need him to help carry this team to the playoffs...I know I will be standing and yelling at the game Saturday night 100% behind him and the Reds.
    Me too. I was stoked when I saw he's was getting the start knowing I'll be there
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

You have to look at intent. If I recall and I may be mistaken, didn't this have something to do with fertility drugs because he was trying to have a kid with his wife or significant other?

Granted, if he knew that would violate a drug test than he shouldn't have done it. If it was an honest mistake and all he was trying to do was become a parent then that is no cause for booing and certainly doesn't make him a cheater.

Besides, the guy has done his time for doing the "crime" so to speak, baseball has moved on (or he would not be able to be activated). I say cheer away.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post

my feeling is that he broke the rules, got caught, and payed the price for it. its over and done with and hes a Red so im gonna cheer for him.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Bonds never did pay the price for cheating, plus he used performance enhancer when it mattered (he was playing). Volqueze did not use them to get better, just to get healthy, not too mention his "man problem". Volqueze served the time, now lets see him do well in his young career.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Bonds never did pay the price for cheating, plus he used performance enhancer when it mattered (he was playing). Volqueze did not use them to get better, just to get healthy, not too mention his "man problem". Volqueze served the time, now lets see him do well in his young career.
    Yeah, that.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt that he didn't do it as a performance enhancer. Tho to be completely honest, it DOES make me feel a bit the hypocrite.

Turn Off Ads?