Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

Re: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but that isn't true. It might be company policy to not give anything more than dates of employment, but it's not the law. Employers can give more information if they choose to do so. There is a myth that employers can't give bad references, that is 100% incorrect. They can give you a bad reference, IF, it's factual or without malice. The issue of slander or defamation comes into play only if your former employer knowingly gives false information that prevents you from gaining future employment. If you were to sue, you'd also have to prove they knowing gave false information to a prospective employer and prove damages (that their reference cost you the position, which no hiring company is going to admit to you), and most states have held harmless laws for employers in this area in any event.

With that said, most companys don't bother, they don't feel like paying the legal bills (even though the employer would probably win 99% of the cases).
    good catch r4l, I misspoke on 'the law'. Most companies nowadays do limit to dates of employ, but you are correct on the legality
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's starting to make more sense now. A former co-worker just informed me that she already started training someone today to take my place. So, now I see why they were trying to build such a case against me, though I was able to rebuff most of the things they accused me of doing wrong by showing them my training manual and that what I was doing was following exactly what I was taught.

The company had a long and storied track record of finding more than one candidate that they liked for an open position, so in order to hire both candidates, they'd look for someone to fire to replace with a new person at less money. That just happened to be me this time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Been there man. Just won a suit b/c I was terminated illegally when I had a chronic illness.

Life throws some curveballs doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear about the crap you've been through. I just sent you a PM. I might be able to help you when you get back to the tri-state area.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Been there man. Just won a suit b/c I was terminated illegally when I had a chronic illness.

Life throws some curveballs doesn't it? I'm sorry to hear about the crap you've been through. I just sent you a PM. I might be able to help you when you get back to the tri-state area.
    Glad to hear your situation resolved positively, JayBruce32.

Sava, JayBruce32 would be an excellent resource to talk to. I hope everything works out for you. I unexpectedly lost a job in the past so I know how lousy you are feeling. Keep your chin up.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Glad to hear your situation resolved positively, JayBruce32.

Sava, JayBruce32 would be an excellent resource to talk to. I hope everything works out for you. I unexpectedly lost a job in the past so I know how lousy you are feeling. Keep your chin up.
    As I told him, I have some connections in a large collections firm in Cincinnati (I hope it's not the same one he worked at elsewhere...anyone know where savafan is from? )

You'll get back on your feet Sava.... I have no doubts.... we Reds fans are resilient! Plus there's no alternative
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    As I told him, I have some connections in a large collections firm in Cincinnati (I hope it's not the same one he worked at elsewhere...anyone know where savafan is from? )

You'll get back on your feet Sava.... I have no doubts.... we Reds fans are resilient! Plus there's no alternative
    Got your PM. I'll get back to you soon on that.

Not the same firm, but our largest competitor. My non-compete clause was only if I left the company of my own free will, so that would be somewhat poetic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm curious if anyone out there thinks I have a good shot at getting unemployment.

For the record, my boss never spoke with me about any problems. The first verbal warning they claim I was given wasn't given to me by my supervisor, or any supervisor at all, but by someone who was technically, a peer of mine, though in a different department, and it came via cellphone to me while I was at home, not on the clock at work during office hours. The second verbal warning they claim I was given was at the very same time as my first and only written warning, which also didn't come from my boss, nor anyone who worked in my department or my building, but a supervisor in an entirely different department altogether who was someone that I used to have problems with when I was a supervisor, and ranked above him. The first and only time my boss spoke with me was via conference call with this supervisor of another department, claiming he had given me four chances via warnings to stop helping people and that it was his recommendation that I be fired because I'm not trustworthy, and my boss said that he had no choice but to side with the supervisor. This was for helping someone with about six files at the end of the day between 4:50 and 5:00 after I had gotten all of my work done. Nothing in the employee handbook said that there was any rule about helping out co-workers, and there was no unwritten rule about it, as the supervisor who recommended I get fired had asked me to help out other co-workers, which I did...he just didn't want me helping this particular one, for whatever reason isn't clear to me. In fact, none of our conversations were ever made directly clear to me, as he was rather bumbling with his words and never explained things clearly, even back in the days when I was a supervisor and my entire department had problems with him and the work that he was doing.

Shouldn't my boss, at some point in time, have spoken with me and made clear that I was in jeopardy of losing my job for being a team player and helping out others, perhaps found some other things for me to do if I was getting my work done and didn't want to sit around and read a book or go home early without clocking out like other people? Or is there some way for them to spin it to look justified?

Retired

Just file for it. If they dispute the claim, they will have to show documentation that it was for cause.

Be on the look out form them making stuff up, or falisfying documentation, it happens A LOT.

I wouldn't be surprised by it.

I'd not only file, I'd make noise about suing for wrongful termination if that is possible.

While we are only getting sava's side of the story, it sounds like BS. File, and absolutely see about working for their competitor if possible.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    This was for helping someone with about six files at the end of the day between 4:50 and 5:00 after I had gotten all of my work done. Nothing in the employee handbook said that there was any rule about helping out co-workers, and there was no unwritten rule about it, as the supervisor who recommended I get fired had asked me to help out other co-workers, which I did...he just didn't want me helping this particular one, for whatever reason isn't clear to me.
    One possible explanation: If I am working on getting a struggling employee let go, I don't want anyone helping them with their work.

GL

I'm guessing that right now the unemployment office isn't looking to spend a lot of time on each case. It might be different in Ohio, but in California the default is to the employee.

What a perfect storm of crap being thrown my way. The woman who was going to take over our lease here in Columbus just lost her job also, so she's now out. We've got an apartment to move into in Cincinnati in two weeks and need to find someone to take this one in Columbus. Meanwhile, I don't have a job, I'm here while my girlfriend and son are 2 hours away. I don't know what's going to happen, so I don't know whether to look for jobs in Cincinnati or Columbus. Because we're not technically "living" together right now, though we're on a lease together here, planning on being on a lease together there, and we're reconciled, the Hamilton County Jobs and Family Services refuses to lift the child support order.

It's kinda like my whole world is crashing right now.

^^^
    Hang in there, man. I'm prayin' for ya.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    ^^^
    Hang in there, man. I'm prayin' for ya.

Your prayers may have worked, at least as far as the apartment goes. Working on negotiating something out now. Here's praying and hoping!

Turn Off Ads?