Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

Re: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

I never received notification one way or the other, but I also never received any unemployment compensation. Really not sure what happened.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm curious if anyone out there thinks I have a good shot at getting unemployment.

For the record, my boss never spoke with me about any problems. The first verbal warning they claim I was given wasn't given to me by my supervisor, or any supervisor at all, but by someone who was technically, a peer of mine, though in a different department, and it came via cellphone to me while I was at home, not on the clock at work during office hours. The second verbal warning they claim I was given was at the very same time as my first and only written warning, which also didn't come from my boss, nor anyone who worked in my department or my building, but a supervisor in an entirely different department altogether who was someone that I used to have problems with when I was a supervisor, and ranked above him. The first and only time my boss spoke with me was via conference call with this supervisor of another department, claiming he had given me four chances via warnings to stop helping people and that it was his recommendation that I be fired because I'm not trustworthy, and my boss said that he had no choice but to side with the supervisor. This was for helping someone with about six files at the end of the day between 4:50 and 5:00 after I had gotten all of my work done. Nothing in the employee handbook said that there was any rule about helping out co-workers, and there was no unwritten rule about it, as the supervisor who recommended I get fired had asked me to help out other co-workers, which I did...he just didn't want me helping this particular one, for whatever reason isn't clear to me. In fact, none of our conversations were ever made directly clear to me, as he was rather bumbling with his words and never explained things clearly, even back in the days when I was a supervisor and my entire department had problems with him and the work that he was doing.

Shouldn't my boss, at some point in time, have spoken with me and made clear that I was in jeopardy of losing my job for being a team player and helping out others, perhaps found some other things for me to do if I was getting my work done and didn't want to sit around and read a book or go home early without clocking out like other people? Or is there some way for them to spin it to look justified?
    Excellent chance of unemployment. Been fired many times, (nature of my business) and scored unemployment everytime. Companies as a policy always deny the first claim so be prepared to appeal. You will get the backpay. Gets boring after the first three months though. Always landed a better job than the one I left too.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I never received notification one way or the other, but I also never received any unemployment compensation. Really not sure what happened.
    Put a call into them... you should be able to find out the status; and don't be surprised if you get it. Companies are giving unemployment these days more and more to avoid any problems. I know the process takes a while.

Glad you're back in the Queen city, you're going to land on your feet soon.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Well, I finally got my notice from the unemployment office, on the same day that it was dated that I had to reply by, where they informed me that my claim was denied because I had "broken a company rule". I would love to know what that rule might have been.

Anyway, by the end of today, I had 3 job offers. I went with the one with the best hours, higher pay and allowed me to start sooner. I might add that this company is another law firm that was on the Enquirer's list of Top 50 Places to Work in Cincinnati (came in at #12). I was honest with them about why I was fired, how it all went down, and they assured me that what the firm did was illegal, and in fact, it's been brought to my attention that they had done something similar to another employee in the past (before I worked there) and were sued, and that person won a wrongful termination suit against them.

But anyway, I'll be back to working again next Tuesday. It's been a rough year, and I haven't made it to a Reds game yet, which is depressing. Hopefully I'll have my bills caught up in time to catch a playoff game.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Well, I finally got my notice from the unemployment office, on the same day that it was dated that I had to reply by, where they informed me that my claim was denied because I had "broken a company rule". I would love to know what that rule might have been.

Anyway, by the end of today, I had 3 job offers. I went with the one with the best hours, higher pay and allowed me to start sooner. I might add that this company is another law firm that was on the Enquirer's list of Top 50 Places to Work in Cincinnati (came in at #12). I was honest with them about why I was fired, how it all went down, and they assured me that what the firm did was illegal, and in fact, it's been brought to my attention that they had done something similar to another employee in the past (before I worked there) and were sued, and that person won a wrongful termination suit against them.

But anyway, I'll be back to working again next Tuesday. It's been a rough year, and I haven't made it to a Reds game yet, which is depressing. Hopefully I'll have my bills caught up in time to catch a playoff game.
    Congrats on the new position!
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Congrats on the new position!
    Thank you, I'm pretty excited. I did my due diligence prior to choosing this company, and everyone who works for them that I've spoken with loves working there and has nothing but good things to say, which is what I'm looking for.

Thank you, I'm pretty excited. I did my due diligence prior to choosing this company, and everyone who works for them that I've spoken with loves working there and has nothing but good things to say, which is what I'm looking for.
    My firm has a wonderful family like atmosphere. It makes all the difference in the world. Glad to see you've found something similar.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Retired

Congrats on the new job.

You would have won the appeal. Your former employer would have been forced to supply documentation proving their claim. If they don't have any, and it sounds like they didn't, they lose. It's sad so many employers do this type of thing. They expect loyalty, but give nothing in return. :thumbdown

Life moves on Sava. Best of luck with the new job!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Congrats sava! Good luck!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Congrats on the new job.

You would have won the appeal. Your former employer would have been forced to supply documentation proving their claim. If they don't have any, and it sounds like they didn't, they lose. It's sad so many employers do this type of thing. They expect loyalty, but give nothing in return. :thumbdown
    Just found out from the former co-worker who was fired at the same time as me that he has hired an attorney to fight them on his case, so it makes me feel good that at least someone is sending them a message over this, even if it couldn't be me.

Good luck, Sava.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Glad to here you got a good job Sava.

I'm currently going through a lot of drama at my job. I have a bad feeling that my days are numbered. I feel like I am being punished because I do exactly what my bosses tell me to do. I had some temp employees lie to the staffing agency and I was threatened to be fired before even being asked my side of the story. It's a longer story than that and I would share, but do not want to high jack Sava's thread.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Glad to here you got a good job Sava.

I'm currently going through a lot of drama at my job. I have a bad feeling that my days are numbered. I feel like I am being punished because I do exactly what my bosses tell me to do. I had some temp employees lie to the staffing agency and I was threatened to be fired before even being asked my side of the story. It's a longer story than that and I would share, but do not want to high jack Sava's thread.
    Feel free to high jack Jpup, this can be a good outlet. Trust me.

Quite the journey Sava. Glad to hear it ended on a high note. All the best to you. Starting your new job Tuesday, with the Reds having an "8" game lead. Life is good!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?