Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Games Over .500

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

30 Games Over .500

Since August 25 of 2009, the Reds are 30 games over .500.

During that same year period, the Cards are 12 games over .500, 9 games below us.

The thought we may actually be better than them isn't based on a recent hot stretch, but has been going on for more than a year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 30 Games Over .500

Better is as better does. The Reds got swept last time. When they start beating them, they can be considered better. Yes, they are better against the bad teams.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Don't the Astros have the better of the season series record agains the Cardinals? Does that mean that StL has a better record than Houston, but only when they start beating Houston, will they be considered to be better than Houston?
    Last edited by membengal; 08-26-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Better is as better does. The Reds got swept last time. When they start beating them, they can be considered better. Yes, they are better against the bad teams.
    My bad.

I hadn't realized that the standings were based on a weighted average.

Query?

If we end up with more wins than the Cards this season, will they still go to the playoffs because they won the season series?

Since one year ago today, who has been the better team? Simple question.

One step further, since opening day 2010, who is better?

Survey says....

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I posted this in another thread earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Going back to last year (the Reds finished 27-13 in their last 40 games), the Reds have now won 100 of their last 167 games (100-67).

Over the last 162?

95-67

Thank you, Scott Rolen. I was wrong. Forgive me.
    There is no doubt the Reds are a better team than the Cards. It would just be nice if the Reds could prove that to them and their fans in person.

Yes, Rolen. If only we had pulled the trigger a little earlier. Also noticed Edwin threw one past second base into the outfield tonight. It brought back memories and made me even gladder that Scotty is with us.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Oh please. I'm pretty sure the Reds won the season series against the Cardinals last year. As somebody else said, the Astros have the Cardinals number this year as well.

Fact of the matter is we've been 4 games better than the Cardinals for 100 and whatever games this season. That's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Oh please. I'm pretty sure the Reds won the season series against the Cardinals last year. As somebody else said, the Astros have the Cardinals number this year as well.

Fact of the matter is we've been 4 games better than the Cardinals for 100 and whatever games this season. That's all that matters.
    If the Reds were a below .500 team like the Astros, then they would own the Cardinals in head to head games. The Cardinals just can't beat the teams they should be able to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    My bad.

I hadn't realized that the standings were based on a weighted average.

Query?

If we end up with more wins than the Cards this season, will they still go to the playoffs because they won the season series?
    If the Cardinals finish with a better record than the Reds this year, then would you consider them the better team?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    If the Cardinals finish with a better record than the Reds this year, then would you consider them the better team?
    There really isn't anything to consider, is there?

This is Cowherd's main argument...that they are just beating bad teams. Guess what? It doesn't matter, not one iota, on the last day of the season...how you got there.

Just get there.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Here's the reason the Cards won't catch the Reds. Well, this plus the 30 games in 30 days begun by a 13-inning loss to a last place team.

Name, 2010 OPS, 2010 OBP
    Winn, .712, .330
    Lopez, .687, .326
    Schumaker, .674, .333
    Molina, .665, .329
    Ryan, .589, .286
    Feliz, .576, .255

Name, 2010 OPS, 2010 OBP
    Nix, .807, .345
    Heisey, .806, .349
    Phillips, .801, .343
    Hanigan, .787, .377
    Janish, .780, .366
    Cairo, .768, 353
    Bruce, .761, .333
    Gomes, .759, .327
    Stubbs, .707, .302

The top 3 players on each team are pretty comparable, but beyond that the Reds offense is quite a bit better. The Cards are starting 4 players who are OPSing less than Stubbs, who has our worst OPS including backups. Pitching-wise the Reds have a ways to go. They have 5 young pitchers who have the potential to become like Carpenter or Wainwright, but only one of them who might challenge right now. I think the Reds will take the division, but unless they get hot at the right time, I doubt they'll go far into the playoffs. The future is super bright!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Oh please. I'm pretty sure the Reds won the season series against the Cardinals last year.
    They split. The Reds were 8-8 vs the Cards last year.

As somebody else said, the Astros have the Cardinals number this year as well.
    Doesn't really matter in my book because we don't. We're 5-10 vs the Cards this year with 3 games left to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    The Cardinals just can't beat the teams they should be able to beat.
    Thank God for that!
    Last edited by GAC; 08-27-2010 at 05:08 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

If everyone beat the teams they should, then 120 win seasons would be the norm. The game is played on the field and a 15 game sample is not much. Put them in the playoffs where the pitching matchups were not set up 4 weeks in advance and see where they stand.

Haunted by walks

I'd just like to thank MattyMo4Life for being a cool fan here and a credit to the Cardinals' otherwise evil fanbase.

Turn Off Ads?