Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Mes be ready to start 2011 in Cincinnati?

Will Mes be ready to start 2011 in Cincinnati?

It took a little time, but the light has clearly come on for this guy. It seems like he will be ready for Louisville by the end of this season, then fighting for a job with the Reds next season. If you look at where Brian McCann (another high school catcher) was in his fourth pro season at the AA level:

198 PA, 166 AB, 27 R, 44 H, 13 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 26 RBI, .265/.359/.476

Versus what Mesoraco is doing right now in AA in his fourth pro season:

127 PA, 113 AB, 29 R, 34 H, 9 2B, 1 3B, 9 HR, 21 RBI, .301/.354/.637

It compares pretty favorably. McCann was a year younger and was called up to Atlanta about midway through that season, never playing a game in AAA. Is there any reason to think that Mes won't be ready to play at the major league level next season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Mes be ready to start 2011 in Cincinnati?

as much as I hope he does, I cant see him being up for the start of 2011. That seems like such a massive jump considering they didnt even let Bruce make that jump. Then again its a different GM running the show now.

I'm completely guessing but Im going to say mid 2011 at the earliest depending on injuries. A strong finish and the same big numbers in AAA might make me revisit my thoughts.

His power is absolutely silly so far this year.

The one thing that doesn't compare well to McCann is the strikeout-to-walk ratio. Mesoraco this season is at 54 K's and 28 BB (and 25 K's to just 9 BB in AA). McCann was 26 K's to 25 BB in his AA season. That ability to make contact and to take walks is probably a big part of why he never had any major growing pains at the major league level.

I don't think the Reds are going down that road. I bet he spends a lot of 2011 in AAA.

Well, whenever he does come up I assume it will be to take the job every day?

Dont most players struggle with K:bb for a bit once they change levels?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Well, whenever he does come up I assume it will be to take the job every day?
    Unless Hannigan goes somewhere I dont see them going full bore Mes starting. I see him getting the treatment Hanny got last season, with maybe a little bit more playing time.

Whenever it does happen, I think they'll be much more inclined to make sure Mesoraco gets in the lineup than they were Hanigan. It's hard to ask a guy that you want to be your catcher of the future to continue to develop without consistent playing time. To me that means no less than three out of every five games, preferably more.

Nothing against Hanigan, who I like. I just think the kid has all-star potential.

I would not want him to START 2011 in Cincinnati. I don't even want him starting AAA until the beginning of 2011.

My hope for him is for him to start AAA in 2011 and if he has a great year down there, for him to get a September call-up next season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Whenever it does happen, I think they'll be much more inclined to make sure Mesoraco gets in the lineup than they were Hanigan. It's hard to ask a guy that you want to be your catcher of the future to continue to develop without consistent playing time. To me that means no less than three out of every five games, preferably more.

Nothing against Hanigan, who I like. I just think the kid has all-star potential.
    No doubt about it that Hanigan has less potential, I do see him being the vet to the rook just like Ramon was to Hanny. I think Devin will get more playing time than Ryan did if thats how it lays out. I'm guessing Hanny is traded by the time he reaches his 2nd year of arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I would not want him to START 2011 in Cincinnati. I don't even want him starting AAA until the beginning of 2011.

My hope for him is for him to start AAA in 2011 and if he has a great year down there, for him to get a September call-up next season.
    Ideally I would agree with most of this, though I wouldn't have an issue if he spent the last 2-3 weeks in AAA if Louisville is making a run at 2nd place (only 3 games back right now). I figure that if the Reds catchers can stay healthy next year, your plan will be followed. But if the starter goes down and he is still hitting next season, that we could see him sooner than September.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think the Reds are going down that road. I bet he spends a lot of 2011 in AAA.
    I would hope he does. He did get an opposite field shot last night.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

The Reds are going to add him to the 40-man roster in the off-season anyway, so I could see him getting a September call-up. If he tears the cover off the ball in spring training while there's an injury to Hanigan or whomever Hernandez' replacement will be, I could see him starting 2011 with the big club. But like Doug said, expect him to get plenty of time in AAA next year.

I was going to ask. What's Hernandez' situation for next year? A team option correct? If it's not unreasonable I may be inclined for the Reds to pick that up.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I was going to ask. What's Hernandez' situation for next year? A team option correct? If it's not unreasonable I may be inclined for the Reds to pick that up.
    It's a vesting option. If he plays 120 games, he will be with the Reds next year. If not, he is due to become a free agent.

Turn Off Ads?