Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs: Volquez's Return

Fangraphs: Volquez's Return

Link:

It would be unreasonable for Cincinnati to expect Volquez to become a true ace for them, but he should become the best pitcher on the team, at least until Harang’s return. The fact that they’ve been able to hold first place until the cavalry could arrive is a great sign for the team. If Volquez can even be 75% of what he was in 2008, the Reds will be in excellent shape in their quest for the NL Central crown.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Fangraphs: Volquez's Return

I agree with this snippet. I don't think Volquez is the 2008 Volquez all year in 2010; maybe a start or two in late September against a team that has pretty much packed it in. But if he can just be solid and consistent and collect outs for six innings at a time and keep our offense in the game; he's a huge lift and a shot in the arm.

Coming off major surgery to hear that he's throwing hard again is really a testament to him either being a genetic freak or an extremely good work ethic or both.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

At this point, if Volquez can simply be better than LeCure / Maloney, it's a net win for the ballclub. Anything above that is gravy, IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

The problem is that Volquez has always been effectively wild. He's going to be throwing high stress pitches almost every inning with his style.

Hopefully the Reds keep a keen eye to watch if he is overthrowing.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    The problem is that Volquez has always been effectively wild. He's going to be throwing high stress pitches almost every inning with his style.

Hopefully the Reds keep a keen eye to watch if he is overthrowing.
    One of the benefits of Tommy John surgery is that the pitcher has to start from square one all over again, and this gives a coaching staff the ability to refine his mechanics. Just look at Bray this season compared to before the surgery.

Who knows if that happened with Volquez, but you are right that his delivery was a very high stress one, so here's hoping that the Reds coaching staff made some adjustments to it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

"best pitcher on the team, at least until Harang's return?"

You know, I've been as stubborn as anybody in clinging to the notion that Aaron Harang is going to return to his 06-07 form, but I gave up earlier in this year.

Does anybody reading this think Harang is the Reds best pitcher?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

You know, I've been as stubborn as anybody in clinging to the notion that Aaron Harang is going to return to his 06-07 form, but I gave up earlier in this year.

The guy just didn't do his research. The argument is that up until this year, Harang's peripherals (K/BB, GB/FB and HR/9) have been very close every year, which would lead one to believe that his higher ERA these past two and half seasons has been the result mostly of bad luck.

However, that really has not been the case, as RMR pointed out in a very good post about Harang. His peripherals especially his HR/9, have been getting worse , and his tERA, which judges a pitcher based on how hard his pitchers get hit, have been much higher these last two and half seasons.

Harang is still a decent pitcher, but just not close to the TOR arm he was three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post

Yeah, that was a brutal snippet there. Not sure if he meant his return from the DL or his return from the couple of year sabbatical he's been on.

Oh, and Keith Law called and said that he disagrees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yeah, that was a brutal snippet there. Not sure if he meant his return from the DL or his return from the couple of year sabbatical he's been on.

Oh, and Keith Law called and said that he disagrees as well.
    Even if Harang does return to his old form, I still wouldn't put him ahead of Cueto, Arroyo or Leake. But those guy don't miss bats enough to impress some people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Even if Harang does return to his old form, I still wouldn't put him ahead of Cueto, Arroyo or Leake. But those guy don't miss bats enough to impress some people.
    I think this season, Harang, Leake and Arroyo all provide similar levels of production.

Which is, to me, all the more reason to trade for someone better.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I know this is crazy, but what about Harang as closer?
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

Harang at his best was certainly better than Cueto, Arroyo and Leake this year. Though Cueto is getting close, he doesn't give us the innings that the old Harang did.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    I know this is crazy, but what about Harang as closer?
    The word on the street is that this is crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I agree with this snippet. I don't think Volquez is the 2008 Volquez all year in 2010; maybe a start or two in late September against a team that has pretty much packed it in. But if he can just be solid and consistent and collect outs for six innings at a time and keep our offense in the game; he's a huge lift and a shot in the arm.

Coming off major surgery to hear that he's throwing hard again is really a testament to him either being a genetic freak or an extremely good work ethic or both.
    I want Volquez to do as well as the next guy, but don't forget about why he was suspended for 50 games. I'm sure that has something to do with a positive recovery to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I think this season, Harang, Leake and Arroyo all provide similar levels of production.

Which is, to me, all the more reason to trade for someone better.
    I want what your drinking

Turn Off Ads?