Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday July 16th minor league updates

Friday July 16th minor league updates

Devin Mesoraco is 1-for-1 with a single in his first atbat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friday July 16th minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Devin Mesoraco is 1-for-1 with a single in his first atbat.
    Not sure if there has been discussion anywhere, but is there a chance Mesoraco has found some cream or lotion since last year? I dont' recall seeing a player improving their OPS by .300 over their previous year.....while moving higher up.

Havent' seen him in person, but curious what the minor league experts think.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Mesoraco triples in his second atbat. He's now 2-for-2 with a triple.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Not sure if there has been discussion anywhere, but is there a chance Mesoraco has found some cream or lotion since last year? I dont' recall seeing a player improving their OPS by .300 over their previous year.....while moving higher up.

He's healthy, VR. No more bad thumbs. No need to think the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He's healthy, VR. No more bad thumbs. No need to think the worst.
    3 years of bad thumbs?

That's what the team has said.

He repeated high A ball to start the year, and crushed to a tune of 1.035 OPS in 158 at-bats, so he had success at A ball this year building on last year. He has now carried that to AA.

3 years of bad thumbs?
    High school catcher from a cold weather state. It takes HS catchers a while to develop, especially when you factor in he played in a cold weather state and didn't get a chance to play in as many games as a kid from Florida or California.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    High school catcher from a cold weather state. It takes HS catchers a while to develop, especially when you factor in he played in a cold weather state and didn't get a chance to play in as many games as a kid from Florida or California.
    I'm all for it, just seeing if there has been any speculation before. Does any other player come to mind that has had that type of improvement over a 3 yr career trend like that?

Seriously, VR, check out the Mes threads in the minor league forum. A lot of this has been hashed over. He has comps. Including comps who started slowly and then caught fire. One comp is uber-prospect Carlos Santana. Given the nature of the position he plays, and how hard the defense is to get right, this is not as rare as it would seem.

Seriously, VR, check out the Mes threads in the minor league forum. A lot of this has been hashed over. He has comps. Including comps who started slowly and then caught fire. One comp is uber-prospect Carlos Santana. Given the nature of the position he plays, and how hard the defense is to get right, this is not as rare as it would seem.
    I know it may not be rare, but would like to know others that you guys have seen. Santana had good years, then dropped off, then bouned back.

Mes was out of nowhere.

I am dead serious. Read the threads, I can't recall it now but we've had this discussion. Mes did not "come out of nowhere". He was a former first round draftpick with plus skills that made him so. People have been uber-impatient with him, but he was straight out of high school and learning a tough gig, the bat can take awhile. By all accounts, he is putting both the defense and the offense together.

But I guess I am a bit salty over open musings over PEDs. They are tested all the time in the minors. It just seems awfully unfair to me to do so.

Perhaps the easier explanation is that his skill set that made him a #1 was legit, and he is starting to realize those skills a bit.

VR...here is a thread where some minor league numbers of catchers who have had major league success were discussed...look at pages 3 and 4:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...=Posada&page=3

I am dead serious. Read the threads, I can't recall it now but we've had this discussion. Mes did not "come out of nowhere". He was a former first round draftpick with plus skills that made him so. People have been uber-impatient with him, but he was straight out of high school and learning a tough gig, the bat can take awhile. By all accounts, he is putting both the defense and the offense together.

But I guess I am a bit salty over open musings over PEDs. They are tested all the time in the minors. It just seems awfully unfair to me to do so.

Perhaps the easier explanation is that his skill set that made him a #1 was legit, and he is starting to realize those skills a bit.
    easy mem, we're on the same side here.....
    Thanks for the thread link, I'll give it a look

It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    It happens all the time.
    Awesome....names?

Turn Off Ads?