Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday July 16th minor league updates

Re: Friday July 16th minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    obm....did you see Chapman, or just follow on the net?

How far do you think he is from getting the call?
    Just followed via gameday. I think he's a lock to be called up in September but I figure we'll see him in August.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just followed via gameday. I think he's a lock to be called up in September but I figure we'll see him in August.
    Can't wait. An exciting time to be a Reds fan.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Mes' night ended 2 for 3 with a BB. He's up to .310/.366/.655 for a 1.022 OPS at AA since his call-up to Carolina. That's in 116 at-bats (and slightly more plate appearances).

He was 1.035 at high A before his call-up.

If I have the Wild Card stuff read right, L'ville is within 5.5 games of a Wild Card in the IL. So, as bad as their start to the season was, they still have playoff life.

Juan Francisco's line is up to .280/.316/.540 for a .856 OPS. 11 HR and 16 doubes in 211 at-bats.

After finishing last in the first half, Carolina is 11-11 to start the second half and just one game back in their division.

So Juan Fran hits a 3 run homer in the 7th, and a 2 run Hr in the bottom of the ninth to win the game...gets barely a nod here...hmmm (unless I have dates/games wrong or something).

A bat that the Reds could possibly use some time this year. Can his LF defense be any worse than Gomes?

Thought his walkoff was Thursday night's game, and it was certainly talked about a bit in that thread.

And I just listed his updated stat line right above your post.

ETA:

There is also plenty of recent Francisco chatter here:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83416

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I know it may not be rare, but would like to know others that you guys have seen. Santana had good years, then dropped off, then bouned back.

Mes was out of nowhere.
    It wasn't out of nowhere at all. Last season his K and walk rates were almost where they are now. His isolated power was well above average for the league/age he was in last year, but since it was the FSL, it was hidden a little bit.

This year the discipline is very similar with a slight upgrade. His power has gone from well above average to elite. For a guy who was hitting for well above average power while being injured, I don't know how big of a surprise it is that he is showing the power he is.

The AZL Reds won 19-4.

Junior Arias: 3-for-5 walk, 2 RBI
    David Vidal: 3-for-5 3 HR (#2, 3, 4), walk, 8 RBI
    Domonic D'Anna: 2-for-4 two doubles, 2 walks
    Robert Maddox: 4-for-6 2B, HR (#1), 4 RBI
    Samuel Diaz: 4-for-6

Jonathan Correa: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 10 K

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...inrok_dodrok_1

Billy Hamilton is now OPSing over .800 with Billings. .295/.376/.442 - .818 OPS in 95 atbats. 6 doubles, 4 triples. He got off to a slow start too. His BB/K ratio is at 9 BB/11 K in July (62 atbats).

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    So Juan Fran hits a 3 run homer in the 7th, and a 2 run Hr in the bottom of the ninth to win the game...gets barely a nod here...hmmm (unless I have dates/games wrong or something).

A bat that the Reds could possibly use some time this year. Can his LF defense be any worse than Gomes?
    Not a lot of people, including me so I'm not just saying this to sound sarcastic, think Juan will produce at the major league level enough to warrant being a regular. Althought he could be a good bat off the bench when runners are on because of his willingness to put everything hes got into the swing. Its not a matter of his D being compared to Gomes, its what is his bat compared to Gomes. I dont do the stat work a few people do but if I recall not many people who compare Juan to other players think, with out some major luck falling in his favor, is someone who can be a super productive major league hitter. I hope he can be.
    Last edited by GIDP; 07-17-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Billy Hamilton is now OPSing over .800 with Billings. .295/.376/.442 - .818 OPS in 95 atbats. 6 doubles, 4 triples. He got off to a slow start too. His BB/K ratio is at 9 BB/11 K in July (62 atbats).
    Hope it keeps up.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    After finishing last in the first half, Carolina is 11-11 to start the second half and just one game back in their division.
    It is very disappointing to see the team come off the break getting swept at home. They were playing very well going into the AS break. Carolina was 7-3 in July until Montgomery got in town. All three games with Montgomery were close but 0-3 is 0-3. The Mudcats are in third place this morning. Chattanooga in for four this weekend. Matt Fairel to kick the series off tonight.

obm....did you see Chapman, or just follow on the net?

How far do you think he is from getting the call?
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...t-in-the-works

"He hasn't gotten into the routine," Reds general manger Walt Jocketty said. "He's better when he goes one inning. We want him to point where he can go on back-to-back days and go more than one inning."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It wasn't out of nowhere at all. Last season his K and walk rates were almost where they are now. His isolated power was well above average for the league/age he was in last year, but since it was the FSL, it was hidden a little bit.

This year the discipline is very similar with a slight upgrade. His power has gone from well above average to elite. For a guy who was hitting for well above average power while being injured, I don't know how big of a surprise it is that he is showing the power he is.
    Thanks Doug. Guys poor performance are often blamed on injuries or lack of full recovery, and it's not very we get to see a Red doing that.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?