Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why does Votto take pitches before the pitch?

Why does Votto take pitches before the pitch?

So I've noticed this on a number of occasions this season and it's confusing at best and maddening at worst...

Today, 3-1 count and Votto all but steps out of the box, taking the pitch, before the pitch leaves the pitchers hand. This isn't an isolated example, either. He does this fairly often. I'd think he'd be looking to drive something (one pitch in one spot) on a 3-1 count but he gave up on the pitch before it was delivered.

Now, don't get me wrong, the guy has been the NL MVP thus far, but I just don't understand why he does this. My wife has noticed it as well so I'm not nuts here.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why does Votto take pitches before the pitch?

He definitely does that. I'm guessing he has given himself his own personal red light in that situation. He seems determined to draw more walks this year.

whatever he's doing, it's working for him.

Everybody does this, though. Watch when Phillips shows bunt, he takes the pitch every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    So I've noticed this on a number of occasions this season and it's confusing at best and maddening at worst...

Today, 3-1 count and Votto all but steps out of the box, taking the pitch, before the pitch leaves the pitchers hand. This isn't an isolated example, either. He does this fairly often. I'd think he'd be looking to drive something (one pitch in one spot) on a 3-1 count but he gave up on the pitch before it was delivered.

Now, don't get me wrong, the guy has been the NL MVP thus far, but I just don't understand why he does this. My wife has noticed it as well so I'm not nuts here.

Thoughts?
    Many players do the same. I'm not concerned. Just because he makes it obvious he is taking a pitch doesn't make it a problem...some players just do a good job of not showing it...not like the pitcher is gonna notice and make an adjustment throwing it right down Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Many players do the same. I'm not concerned. Just because he makes it obvious he is taking a pitch doesn't make it a problem...some players just do a good job of not showing it...not like the pitcher is gonna notice and make an adjustment throwing it right down Broadway.
    I'd love to see him act like he is backing out and then simply unload on one. Kind of a modified butcher boy, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I really hope I find a girl that picks up on this stuff. Good for you man.

I'm not saying that it's nec. a bad thing, just kinda baffling why he'd do it in a high-leverage spot/count. I just am curious as to why he does it is all. Obviously, everything he's doing is working well (save for some baserunning issues), so I'm not giving him grief. Just an observation.

Turn Off Ads?