Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Nix be DFA'ed once Dickerson is back?

Will Nix be DFA'ed once Dickerson is back?

Or will they send Heisey down who replaced him?

Dickerson is rehabbing currently and had a good night tonight. I'm sure it still be another week, maybe even 2 weeks, but Dickerson is a better option offensively and a better option defensively than Nix is.

What do you think happens?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Nix be DFA'ed once Dickerson is back?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Or will they send Heisey down who replaced him?

Dickerson is rehabbing currently and had a good night tonight. I'm sure it still be another week, maybe even 2 weeks, but Dickerson is a better option offensively and a better option defensively than Nix is.

What do you think happens?

I believe Laynce Nix is a good 4th/5th OF or LH bat off the bench but if it was up to me, I'd keep Dickerson and Heisey.

Resident PED Expert

Heisey and Dickerson would be my choice also, but I know Nix is a very popular guy in the Clubhouse. I would suspect Heisey gets sent down. You never know. Dickerson stubs a toe and breaks his Collar bone as a result. DFA Nix would leave them no one really to call up other than Matthews. Let Heisey go back to AAA help get the Bats into the playoffs and come back in September.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Am I wrong for not missing Dickerson one bit? I like the mixture on our team, and I never thought I'd say this but I really am comfortable with the at bats that are given to nix and Heisey. It's gonna take some amount of trusting to let Dickerson back at it comfortably.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I doubt it since it's quite possible Dickerson could get hurt again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Dickerson is better than Nix.

So is Heisey, but I could see Heisey going down if it's close to August when the move is made, so all could be retained for the September call ups.

But I would DFA Nix anyway, as we have other LH options available for call-ups as bench players: Matthews Jr., Dorn etc.

I just think Heisey brings an element as a RH OF we don't have to replace Bruce against a tough lefty. Or that PH we need against a Wagner.

I doubt that Nix is going anywhere. Dickerson's contact problems and injuries make it risky in a pennant race to assume he will cover Nix's role.

Nix isn't a starting player but he does have lefty power off the bench. He fields all three outfield positions well enough to keep the fifth outfielder spot.

I think Nix will be the fifth outfielder for the duration of the season.

I would have to go with Dickerson and Heisey over Nix, laynce just isn't giving us enough power this season to keep him on the roster. I'd offer to send him down to AAA with the promise he'd get the 1st callup should someone (an OF) get hurt (assuming he wasn't claimed, doubtful). Dickersons on base ability is a specific skill set we need for the stretch run and Heisey has just been more productive and is more versatile.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Dickerson optioned down once his rehab is over and not return until September 1.

I wouldn't do anything to give up Nix this year. As others have said, if one of the other outfielders goes down to injury you will want him around. Since Heisey has already used his option for this year he is the logical choice to send down and can be recalled when the roster expands. That way he can also get regular at bats which he clearly will not on the big club.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Dickerson optioned down once his rehab is over and not return until September 1.
    Does he have options?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Does he have options?
    Pretty sure this would be his last option season. He was, if I'm not mistaken, added to the 40-man roster in 2008, meaning he could be optioned in any of these past three seasons.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I agree. Dickerson is the odd man out. He will have to prove he can stay healthy and be the next guy to come up if there is an injury. The guys on the Reds roster have not done anything to be released or sent to AAA. Dickerson is not as valuable as he might think he really is. One thought. If he proves he is healthy, he might be put into a deadline trade???

I think Heisey is future leftfielder.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Dickerson down there for the remainder of the season. He and Nix are very comparable players. Different skill sets to be sure, but they're both 4th or 5th OF'ers with solid defense and speed. Difference, one has more power the other has better plate discipline. Neither great at either.

I believe Dickerson has two option years available. He looked over-matched before the injury, so I would expect to see him optioned if none of the outfielders become injured before then. Then again, Heisey might get optioned 'to get him at-bats'.

Turn Off Ads?