Turn Off Ads?

Thread: if volquez..

if volquez..

can pitch like that down the stretch, this team is going to be hard to beat and knock out of the central division crown, I am not getting the cart before the horse but, the guy looked dominant tonight, it's fun to be a reds fan right now!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: if volquez..

Great game today. Volquez has electric stuff with a lot of movement. Even without the best control he is effective. Today his control was even pretty good.

Volquez coming back effective would be the same as trading for a TOR pitcher.

The advantage the Reds had over some of these other teams is they had two high quality arms coming back from injury that are the types of talent that teams would maybe be looking to try to acquire at the trade deadline.

Given Bray's spotty history and injury problems, I'll admit that he may not be the top of arm or player teams target at the deadline. But he's still a potentially high leverage arm you just added to your bullpen, and you didn't have to trade anybody to get him.

Then you go out and add a guy who two years ago was an All Star and 17 game winner and out pitched Cliff Lee when those two went head to head that year. And again, you don't have to trade anyone to get him, because he's already in your organization, you just hope he stays healthy to give you the type of numbers he's capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    The advantage the Reds had over some of these other teams is they had two high quality arms coming back from injury that are the types of talent that teams would maybe be looking to try to acquire at the trade deadline.

Given Bray's spotty history and injury problems, I'll admit that he may not be the top of arm or player teams target at the deadline. But he's still a potentially high leverage arm you just added to your bullpen, and you didn't have to trade anybody to get him.

Then you go out and add a guy who two years ago was an All Star and 17 game winner and out pitched Cliff Lee when those two went head to head that year. And again, you don't have to trade anyone to get him, because he's already in your organization, you just hope he stays healthy to give you the type of numbers he's capable of.
    That is the big advantage of developing talent in house-- you don't have to give anything up to get it, and it is cheap. A lot of times when you make a trade you wind up trading away equal or greater value to what you get. That results in no net gain to your organization.

The Reds could very well get their next 3B and C from within. Juan Fransisco and David Mesoraco. This would save a lot of money, freeing up space to keep Votto, Cueto, Volquez, Bruce et

Bullpen or what ever

The next 14 days are going to be very interesting to see what the organization does with the pitching staff. With Harang and Bailey both potentially ready by the 31st, a promising Travis Wood and a healthy and dominant Volquez, it will be a big test for Walt and his front office staff. I'm sure they're working hard to move Harang and to try and improve the roster if feasible. This is a fun time to be a Reds fan!

I actually forgot how much I love watching him just completely befuddle hitters with that change. Seeing those huge hacks tonight was great.

rumor has it that the Padres are looking for a 5th starter/long reliever. I would gladly give them Harang or Bailey for a good prospect or Heath Bell.. lol

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I had to see it to believe it. Seeing is believing. Volquez changeup is really nasty. REALLY NASTY.

I was more impressed than I thought I'd be.

I hope it continues.

Turn Off Ads?