Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Sabo: Reds Hall of Famer

Chris Sabo: Reds Hall of Famer

When Spuds was playing I was a youngster who didn't have an appreciation for a player's overall contribution to his team.

So I gotta say, when they flashed Sabo's career line up on the screen the other night....it didn't look good. I remember him being very popular...thats about it.

To those who were around back then...what are your impressions of Chris Sabo?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Sabo: Reds Hall of Famer

Good defense. Hacker at the plate. Some stolen bases, but not a very good base runner. His great post season in 1990 got him in the Reds HOF.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Loved Spuds, in retrospect he's my 1st Reds player I suspected of juicing.

Odd choice based on his #'s alone...would hate to see the Reds HOF become too much of a popularity thing. So do they induct Hal Morris too? Herm Winningham? Luis Quinones? They now have a case!

Spuds was "famous" as a member of the Reds, and in the city of Cincinnati, so in that respect, I guess he belongs in the Reds Hall of Fame. 1988 Rookie of the Year, made the All-Star team as a rookie, had some pop, was pretty fast, really could pick it at third.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Odd choice based on his #'s alone...would hate to see the Reds HOF become too much of a popularity thing. So do they induct Hal Morris too? Herm Winningham? Luis Quinones? They now have a case!
    Well, if Cesar Geronimo can be a Red's HoF'er, then the flood gates are wide open.

I loved the Chief, he had a great arm and was an excellent CF, but that was about it.

Oh, and he played on the Big Red Machine.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sabo in his first stint with the Reds had a 112 OPS+. That's pretty darn solid.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sabo in his first stint with the Reds had a 112 OPS+. That's pretty darn solid.
    Very solid, where does that rank on the Reds All-Time list.

Sidenote - Joey Votto is the Reds all-time OPS leader per Baseball Reference

Spuds was the most popular player on the Reds for years. His rookie card flew out of the shops, and his #17 was easily the most popular jersey sold. He had a lot of Rose/Rosales in him, and was a fan favorite for his goofy look and even goofier quotes.

He had some very solid years, including the Championship 1990 season, when he was inserted into the leadoff slot and and was a real spark at the top of the lineup. He also had a great post season, and could have won the World Series MVP, it was a close call between him, Hatcher and Rijo.

Remember, those numbers were all pre-Roids. He was a true All-Star at the beginning of his career. When he left for Baltimore, he signed pretty big contract for the time, but injuries got the best of him, and he never regained his form.

For anyone around at the time he played for the Reds, he was an easy choice for the Hall of Fame. And it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Best Stats. Sabo was a true star for the Reds.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Well, if Cesar Geronimo can be a Red's HoF'er, then the flood gates are wide open.

I loved the Chief, he had a great arm and was an excellent CF, but that was about it.

Oh, and he played on the Big Red Machine.
    Don't sell the Chief short. He played Gold Glove centerfield for 8 years and posted a 95 OPS+ as a Red. That's very rare and impressive. He probably would have been the best player on the 1982 or 1983 Reds.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Don't sell the Chief short. He played Gold Glove centerfield for 8 years and posted a 95 OPS+ as a Red. That's very rare and impressive. He probably would have been the best player on the 1982 or 1983 Reds.
    His OPS+ is below league average, by definition.

That's not Hall of Fame material in my book.

I loved Geronimo for what he was, but he was never even close to the best player on any team that he ever played for. He did win 4 GG's, from 1974-77, and played a wonderful, graceful CF.

In only one year did he post 500 AB's. He never made an All Star team.

The CF on that 1982 team was a guy who was a much better player than the Chief- Cesar Cedeno (who had 5 GG's), who was on the downside of a very nice career.

If the Reds HoF is merely a popularity contest, then that's fine. Even Chris Sabo said last night he didn't think he belonged in any HoF. I agree with him.

While just about everybody seems to have his or her own utopian idea of what the criteria should be for someone to be inducted into a Hall of Fame, be it the Reds or the one located in Cooperstown, one of the best measures for determining whether or not a particular player should be inducted is to look at who has already been inducted.
    The Reds Hall of Fame includes Mike McCormick, Jerry Lynch, Smoky Burgess, Lonny Frey, Billy Werber, Gordy Coleman, Tommy Helms and Cesar Geronimo. Those guys were all quality ballplayers, many if not most of them all stars, but take at look at what they accomplished as Reds and compare their stats to those of Sabo. If those guys are Reds Hall of Famers (and they are), then Sabo belongs in the Reds Hall of Fame as well.
    None of those guys, including Sabo, will ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, and none should be, but the standard for induction into the Reds Hall of Fame, set over a half century, is a lot lower than that for admittance into Cooperstown.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Well, fans do vote on this so it really can't help being a bit of a popularity contest.

Sabo was a staple at 3rd for 5-6 years. He and Heinie Groh are the only 2 3B in the Reds HOF. That shows you the trouble the Reds have had filling that spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I thought the hall of fame was based on a player's complete credentials. I had no idea it was supposed to be soley based on offensive statistics as some of you seem to think.

Sabo is deserving, IMO. He was a major player here the majority of his career. Should have won a couple gold gloves and he could have easily been the 1990 World Series MVP.

Geronimo is also deserving. He's the best defensive outfielder the Reds have had in the last 50 years. He gave them strength up the middle with Johnny, Davey, and Little Joe. Two time world champion. Also hit .306 for the 1976 season. Definately deserves to be in the Reds HOF.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I thought the hall of fame was based on a player's complete credentials. I had no idea it was supposed to be soley based on offensive statistics as some of you seem to think.

Sabo is deserving, IMO. He was a major player here the majority of his career. Should have won a couple gold gloves and he could have easily been the 1990 World Series MVP.

Geronimo is also deserving. He's the best defensive outfielder the Reds have had in the last 50 years. He gave them strength up the middle with Johnny, Davey, and Little Joe. Two time world champion. Also hit .306 for the 1976 season. Definately deserves to be in the Reds HOF.
    What about Harry Craft and Wayne Granger do they get rubber stamped as easily?

Turn Off Ads?