Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Best Outfielders?

3 Best Outfielders?

On the way home I am listening to the Doc Rogers show and he is ranting about Stubbs and Bruce. Of all the outfielders we have, whether on the current roster or in the minors, who do you think should play everyday?

I really think you have to have Stubbs out there. I know he has his struggles at the plate, but when he's on, he's very good. Bruce is struggling badly, but he has a cannon. Gomes is well Gomes, inconsistent at the plate too, but the other two guys are solid defensive players. It's tough to sit Bruce, but I feel Heisey should be out there. Don't forget about Dickerson too. Just my opinion..
    Last edited by redsfan_12; 07-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 Best Outfielders?

Stubbs Heisey Bruce

Give me that outfield and you can take any other version you can put out there.

you cant play Bruce right now....is he the starter? Yes...does he need to sit when he goes into this same slump that he always goes in? Yes.....Jay Bruce is making the same mistakes that he makes every time he is in a slump. He swings at pitches that kids in little league dont swing at. He sits on fastball and lunges when its not a fastball.....at some point you either have to coach him to not do those things or sit him and let him know that is why you are sitting him.....he is so good that once he gets these slumps out of him, he is going to be a All Star staple in the OF. Jay Bruce is in a slump because of Jay Bruce....and that needs to be addressed. HE is still very young so he is going to come out of it.....but he needs to take his spot on the pine when he plays like this.

Clearly, Heisey needs to play more or go back to Louisville. They are only retarding his progress the way they are using him now. He needs to play more often...somewhere.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Every time I count out Jonny Gomes, he comes up with a key hit in an rbi situation. He can go 0-4 in a game and then come up with a guy in scoring position and he'll knock him in some way. He has over 60 rbi's. He could possibly end up with 100 to 110 rbi for the season. How do you take him out?

Bruce DOESN'T HIT with RISP. He's terrible. He may have a cannon for an arm, but Heisey is no slouch. And in minimum duty, Heisey has hit more in the clutch than Bruce has in 2.5 years. I'm really down on Jay. I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a good return while he still has some value.

I'd trade Bruce, bring up Francisco. And I have no idea why Dusty can't platoon these guys.

LF Gomes (RH), Francisco (LH)
    CF Stubbs (RH)
    RF Heisey (RH), Nix (LH)

Frankly, next year I'd be happy with Nix gone and Danny Dorn as our LH bat off the bench and backup OFer/1Bman. He's played both at triple A this year.

I think the three best are playing Gomes, Stubbs and Bruce. How do you sit Gomes who leads your team in RBI and while his defense is not great he has made strides. Stubbs batting seventh on a team with pop, speed, great arm, and lights out defense is not a guy I would sit. Then you have Bruce who is very young and fans seem to forget that at times. He is the least appreciated defensive player on this team. He gets to so many balls that look like hits, throws guys out and keeps guys from going first to third a lot and keeps double plays in order. He is still growing as a hitter and he has been up and down all year. Now, I would rest these guys from time to time and give Heisey and Nix a chance to play especially Heisey when a lefty is starting over Bruce.

Gomes, Stubbs and Bruce.

BA w/ RISP has absolutely no predictive value. Outside of this season Bruce has more RBI than the average MLB hitter with his number of PA's. Keep in mind that Bruce is still only 23 years old, has been an MLB average hitter and a plus defender. The only knock against him is his walk rate, which is something that almost always gets better as a player ages. Trading Bruce now would be the epitome of selling low.

Bruce has also scored the 3rd highest runs on the team. It might be 4th with his recent slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    BA w/ RISP has absolutely no predictive value. Outside of this season Bruce has more RBI than the average MLB hitter with his number of PA's. Keep in mind that Bruce is still only 23 years old, has been an MLB average hitter and a plus defender. The only knock against him is his walk rate, which is something that almost always gets better as a player ages. Trading Bruce now would be the epitome of selling low.
    Great post. Trading him rigtht now would be selling incredibly low. Having said that, if this organization was foolish enough to give up on a 23 year old like Jay Bruce they could still get good value for him because other GMs would covet a talent like him with his most productive years still 4 to 5 years away.

Gomes, Stubbs and Bruce.

If this team has a successful 2nd half these three have to be major contributors. I think Stubbs and Bruce have to play as their potential sets them apart. Both are still learning the game at this level and will only get better with experience imo. Gomes' statistics and leadership have earned him the 3rd spot over Dickerson.

Stubbs, Bruce, Gomes.

I would not trade Jay at all....to young and to much upside. I see no way though that you guys think Nix has any value on this team at all...give me a guy that makes contact but less power and I take it....It just looks to me like Nix is always swinging for the fence when a simple fly ball or right side grounder would suffice just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I would not trade Jay at all....to young and to much upside. I see no way though that you guys think Nix has any value on this team at all...give me a guy that makes contact but less power and I take it....It just looks to me like Nix is always swinging for the fence when a simple fly ball or right side grounder would suffice just fine.
    He seems like quite the guess hitter and despite his size and strength seems like he has only warning track opposite field power. His value however is that he does have some pop and that he can play all three outfield positions. Too bad Danny Dorn is not a better defender or he might be up here.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I agree. I like Dickerson over Nix and think one of the reasons Nix may have gotten the start today was to see what value he has to the team. Someone else mentioned that Heisey needs to play and I agree it would benefit him in the long term to play, however in the short term he has been an excellent pinch hitter and team contributor so Heisey and Dickerson would be my backup outfielders with Nix being Designated for Assignment. Remember, if/when we recall Dickerson someone has to come off the 40-man and Nix is the logical choice imo.

Turn Off Ads?