Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Isringhausen

Re: Reds sign Isringhausen

I would rather see Isringhausen get a chance than watch Burton's tired old nibbling act again.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would rather see Isringhausen get a chance than watch Burton's tired old nibbling act again.
    I hope Izzy gets a chance soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    I hope Izzy gets a chance soon.
    Is that sarcastic or wishing him well?

I am not putting much stock in what happens at AAA with numbers since he is essentially going through spring training. I am looking for him to help out as a 7th or 8th inning bridge, in situations like tonight where Arthur or Massett gets pulled early.

Didn't Isringhausen get removed as The Cards' closer late in the 2006 season? I know I remember Wainwright closing out quite a few of those games. I just can't remember if it was performance or an injury that led to Wainwright being the closer down the stretch and in the postseason for StL. I do know Izzy blew 10 saves in '06.

Watching Cordero tonight scared me to death. I hope The Reds will have sense enough to do something about that situation if it gets worse. There are many guys I'd rather see pitching the final inning of a ballgame these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Is that sarcastic or wishing him well?

I am not putting much stock in what happens at AAA with numbers since he is essentially going through spring training. I am looking for him to help out as a 7th or 8th inning bridge, in situations like tonight where Arthur or Massett gets pulled early.
    A little bit of both. I like Izzy a lot, and I would love to see him do well. Unfortunately, I don't expect him to do well. He didn't do so well as the Cards closer in his later years.
    Last edited by MattyHo4Life; 08-15-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Watching Cordero tonight scared me to death. I hope The Reds will have sense enough to do something about that situation if it gets worse. There are many guys I'd rather see pitching the final inning of a ballgame these days.
    Wait...would Izzy be the closer??? I thought he would be a middle relief type guy. Would the Reds really use him as a closer again?

Wait...would Izzy be the closer??? I thought he would be a middle relief type guy. Would the Reds really use him as a closer again?
    I don't think anyone paying attention thinks that. I see him as another power pitcher to help get 1-3 outs in the late innings of a close game.

There isn't any possible scenario that I would want Izzy on the ML roster.

I was always excited to see Izzy pitch against the Reds his last 3 years...and that was, 3 years ago? Ondrusek, Smith and Masset have pitches with an combined ERA around 1.50 for the better part of two + months. Carlos Fisher has been pitching well.

Micah Owings as a closer would be preferred.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Didn't Isringhausen get removed as The Cards' closer late in the 2006 season? I know I remember Wainwright closing out quite a few of those games. I just can't remember if it was performance or an injury that led to Wainwright being the closer down the stretch and in the postseason for StL. I do know Izzy blew 10 saves in '06.
    I think he had some injury in September...I don't remember what it was though. Wainwright was in the bullpen due to an injury as well.

I don't think he'd be the closer. I was just drawing some similarities to the end of Izzy's tenure in StL and Cordero's current struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I was always excited to see Izzy pitch against the Reds his last 3 years.
    That's how I felt about Danny Graves. I loved it when the Reds put him in against the Cards. lol

Izzy always made me nervous. Even when he earned a save...it seemed like he loaded the bases.

I don't think he'd be the closer. I was just drawing some similarities to the end of Izzy's tenure in StL and Cordero's current struggles.
    Ohhhh...well, Izzy lost his job as the closer in 2008 to Ryan Franklin.

That's how I felt about Danny Graves. I loved it when the Reds put him in against the Cards. lol
    It's funny. We got Ryan Franklin right after he was suspended for being a steroid cheat. And he blew several huge games (including at least one against the Cards) in 2006. And then later, Franklin goes to a team managed by Tony LaRussa and is all of a sudden lights-out. What an amazing coincidence. I'm sure there is absolutely nothing untoward going on, given Tony's history of strictly regulating the use of performance-enhancing drugs in his clubhouse.

All I know is if Ryan Franklin is on PEDs - I can't imagine how pedestrian his stuff would be if he were clean. I have no idea how he's made it as a closer.

All dyslexics must untie!

Even when he earned a save...it seemed like he loaded the bases.
    We got one of those, too. He's well paid but his nickname should only be "Co"
    'cause he's like drinking a mocha without the coffee kicker
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?