Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Isringhausen

Re: Reds Looking at Isringhausen

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Notice that after the deal was made, none of the reporters claimed the Reds were in it till the end? Also, no names were reported coming from the Reds.
    I also noticed that Jocketty is notorious for playing his hand so close to his chest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Notice that after the deal was made, none of the reporters claimed the Reds were in it till the end? Also, no names were reported coming from the Reds.
    Jocketty himself said they made what they thought was an extremely competitive offer. He sure sounded "serious."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Jocketty himself said they made what they thought was an extremely competitive offer. He sure sounded "serious."
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...when-necessary

Calling BS on the so-called budget crunch. If ther eis a deal to be made, it will be made.

That was a great article Boss, thanks for posting.

I believe Jocketty will make a move to improve this club, and I predict it will be a name that hasn't been mentioned yet as available, and will surprise us.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    That was a great article Boss, thanks for posting.

I believe Jocketty will make a move to improve this club, and I predict it will be a name that hasn't been mentioned yet as available, and will surprise us.
    Let's hope he OPS .900, throws 95 MPH, and can throw out of the bullpen on days he doesn't start.

Let's hope he OPS .900, throws 95 MPH, and can throw out of the bullpen on days he doesn't start.
    Don't forget record-setting range at shortstop.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Means nothing, other than nobody in the Reds org feels like leaking who is available. Why tip your hand and let the world know you were OK giving a certain guy up.

As far as Isringhausen goes -- don't read anything more into it than Jocketty giving a look to a guy he knows well. If he can help, brilliant. If not, nothing lost. It in no way precludes a bigger move later or suggests that this is the best the Reds can do -- it merely says that Isringhausen is available for a free look and the Reds intend to take it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Calling BS on the so-called budget crunch. If ther eis a deal to be made, it will be made.
    Agreed. BTW, Fay suggests that Jocketty offered Alonso + 2 or 3 prospects for Lee, but I'm unclear from his phrasing whether he means this package as a hypothetical scenario or a real one that actually happened in negotiations. Just curious, because I saw other reports that seem to contradict this, saying that Jocketty was willing to part with Francisco but not Alonso.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Izzy apparently was impressive 'for a guy who hasn't thrown in a while'.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Izzy apparently was impressive 'for a guy who hasn't thrown in a while'.
    Isringhausen impresses Baker
    Posted by jfay July 20th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Right-hander Jason Isringhausen threw for the Reds coaches and front office staff today.

“He looked good for a guy who’s been out a while,” Dusty Baker said. “He looked strong.”

The Reds are considering Isringhausen, 37, for a bullpen role. I’ll update after I talk to Walt Jocketty.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My question is...if the Reds were going to bring up Springer or sign Izzy, who would they replace? The pen has been pretty good as of late with the exception maybe being Cordero.

Resident PED Expert

What I liked reading in this article is that it does sound like Fay had some insight on Jocketty drawing the line on Wood in the deal. Makes me feel much more confident that he realizes Wood's value to the future. If he wouldn't deal Wood for Lee then I would imagine he has to be in the almost untouchable category.

Keep in mind Wood isn't going to be pitching against to many good teams for the rest of the year and has a shot of sustaining very good numbers for the rest of the season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Offer Isringhausen Contract
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 20 at 4:51pm CST]
    Walt Jocketty can't resist those former Cardinals. The Reds have offered Jason Isringhausen a contract and expect resolution soon, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer (via Twitter). Jocketty told Fay that he expects to hear from Isringhausen within a day or two.

The Reds watched Isringhausen throw today and manager Dusty Baker told Fay that he liked what he saw (Twitter link). If the Reds do sign the 37-year-old, he'll help former Cards teammates Scott Rolen and Russ Springer try to lead Cincinnati back to the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?