Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your coolest sports experiences

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Your coolest sports experiences

Game 2 of the '76 Series against the Yanks. I was quite young, so memories are a bit hazy. I was also at game 2 of the NLCS against Pittsburgh in '90. There's no topping playoff games.

I've been at quite a few memorable games over the years. I was at Milwaukee County Stadium when the Reds spanked the Brewers and David Weathers went deep a few years back. I'll also remember the Randa walkoff on Opening Day.

The last couple years I've been able to catch a few games at other parks and going to a new park is always a treat. Eventually I hope to catch all of them.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    5. Attended the OSU/UM game in 2001 (year OSU won the title).
    I was at that game too. But, I also...

1. Attended the OSU/UM game in 1997 (year MICHIGAN won the title)
    2. Attended the 1997 Rose Bowl - UM beats Ryan Leaf and Washington St. to win the National Championship.
    3. Attended the UM 2OT victory in the 2000 Orange Bowl over Shaun Alexander's Alabama team.
    4. Attended the 1996 UC Basketball Sweet 16 victory over Stephon Marbury's Georgia Tech team at Rupp Arena- maybe the best sports atmosphere I've ever seen
    5. Attended Games 1, 2, and 6 of the 1990 Pennant and Games 1 and 2 of the World Series. No big deal.
    6. Attended Reds away games at Wrigley, Old Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, Shea Stadium, Miller Park, and Jacobs Field.
    7. Attended Bengals away games at Pro Player, Raymond James, and Soldier Field.
    8. Attended the 2008 Harvard-Yale football game. Coldest sporting event I've ever been to.
    9. Attended Game 7 of the 2007 Chicago Bulls-Detroit Pistons Eastern Conference Semifinals at the United Center.
    10. Attended 18 (I think) Reds' Opening Days

Games I'm not proud to have attended:

1. The 2005 Bengal Playoff Game aka the Carson Palmer Catastrophe
    2. Games 1 and 2 of the 1995 NLCS aka the Reggie Sanders Nightmare
    3. The 2001 OSU/UM game (see above)
    4. The 1996 UC Basketball Elite 8 loss to Mississippi State at Rupp Arena
    5. The 1999 UC Basketball second round upset loss to Temple at the Boston Gardens

Games I probably should have, but am glad that I did NOT attend:

1. The 2007 OSU/UM #1 vs. #2 game
    2. The 2010 Bengal Playoff Game upset loss to the Jets
    3. Every disappointing second round loss for the Bearcats, and the 2010 Sugar Bowl. What a debacle.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-19-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Have to agree with some that my favorite sports experiences are sitting at minor league ballparks listening to ex-major leaguers (from the 30's and 40's many years ago, and from the 50's and 60's today) telling baseball stories.

1. Seeing Dale Jr. win Daytona Pepsi 400 which was the next race at that track after Dale Sr. was killed.

2. Game 6 of 1990 NLCS, 2-1 Reds win, we go to the World Series.

3. Sugar Bowl 2006 WVU vs. UGA, we actually win our BCS games Bearcat fans!

4. Seeing Dale Sr. race at Daytona the year he won his 7th Championship.

5. Dale Sr. race against Dale Jr. July 2000.

6. Game 3 of 1995 NLDS, 10-1 Reds win over Nomo.

7. 2008 Car Care Bowl WVU vs. UNC.

8. Game 2 of the 1990 NLCS, 2-1 Reds win.

9. 2009 Backyard Brawl, beating sPitt on a last minute field goal with a freshman kicker was huge.

10. WrestleMania VIII Jake Roberts vs. Undertaker, Piper vs. Bret Hart, Flair vs. Savage, and Hogan vs. Sid.

HoBail.

OSU won the National Championship during the 2002 season. The game was played in Jan of 2003.

Benihana

The #1 OSU #2 UM was played in 2006. It was on the BTN last night and I couldn't help but watch it. Probably one of my favorite games ever!

Johnny Cueto Fan

SteAlers @ Bengals game in 09. One of the best comebacks ever.

Bengals @ Redskins game in 04.

Freel's diving catch to rob Albert Pujols.

David Ross walk-off home run.

Opening Day in 2008.

Just went to Wrigley a couple weeks ago when they played the Reds.

When I was real young my dad took me to my first Buckeyes football game. Amazing atmosphere. Must go again.

Living in Atlanta for the 96 Olympics. Saw an event on 11 of the 16 days.

Michigan @ Ohio State 2002.

I had the fortune of going to college at the same time as Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress, so I've got a lot of great college basketball memories.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to being in a mostly empty Jacksonville Stadium on a dreary day in early December 2006 for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    But nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to being in a mostly empty Jacksonville Stadium on a dreary day in early December 2006 for this game.
    I attended Wake's next game. As a Louisville fan, I liked that better.

Forgot one.

I went to the IU-UK 1975 NCAA regional finals at UD Arena. UK won 92-90. Probably the best basketball game I've ever attended.

IU was 31-0 going into the game and their next year would be their undefeated season. IU was Scott May (I think he played with a broken wrist), Kent Benson, et al and UK was Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Kevin Grevey, et al. UK had a stellar record as well.

Great game that just went back and forth for the whole game. We sat between the UK and IU bands and they played non-stop. Great college game and great atmosphere. I think UK ultimately lost in the NCAA finals to UCLA.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Games I was at:

Homer Bailey's first game
    2003 Iowa / Michigan football, Iowa homecoming, Iowa won 30-27
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post

3. Sugar Bowl 2006 WVU vs. UGA, we actually win our BCS games Bearcat fans!

7. 2008 Car Care Bowl WVU vs. UNC.

9. 2009 Backyard Brawl, beating sPitt on a last minute field goal with a freshman kicker was huge.
    Was there for all of those. Unfortunately, was also there on 12/1/07. I'm still not over that game. Probably never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    HoBail.

OSU won the National Championship during the 2002 season. The game was played in Jan of 2003.
    I screw up college football years all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Games I was at:

Homer Bailey's first game
    Was there for that as well. That was pretty awesome.

Also forgot I got to see Clemens win 350 in old Yankee stadium. Also got to see Rivera close that one.

Another cool experience was seeing Hoffman close a game at Petco and come out to Hell's Bells. Truly gave me chills.

In the pits and garage at numerous NASCAR Winston Cup (now called Sprint Cup, of course) events, rubbing shoulders and eating meals with drivers, owners, and pit crews.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Rijo's comeback night was pretty cool. Forgot I was at that one.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've got a number of experiences at sporting events that I consider to be "cool" for personal reasons, but that I'm sure don't even register as blips on the radar screen for normal people:

- Managed to sneak into the 2001 SEC Championship game, where LSU backup QB Matt Mauck brought a #21 LSU squad back from a 7 point halftime deficit to beat the BCS #2 then-undefeated Tennessee Vols 31-20. Tennessee fans were already booking rooms for the national title game that year.

- Saw the University of Toledo beat a #9 ranked Pitt Panthers team. Toledo's QB, then-unknwown Bruce Gradkowski, was 49-62 for 461 yards (15 of those to also then-unknown Lance Moore for 162 yards) and 3 TDs. One of the more exciting college games I've ever attended.

- Saw the same Bruce Gradkowski, playing for my NFL favorite Tampa Bay, beat the Bengals in the first (and only) game I'd ever attended at Raymond James Stadium. I was born in Tampa, been a lifelong fan of the Buccaneers, but had never been to a game at their new stadium (we moved from Tampa long before it was built). I got tickets to the Bucs / Bengals game as a birthday gift, and went with 3 of my friends. Pretty amazing experience.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?