Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your coolest sports experiences

Re: Your coolest sports experiences

Happy Valley for JoePa's record breaking win against OSU, watched PSU come back from a 27-9 deficit to give Joe Paterno sole possession of the CFB career wins record.

Opening Day 2003 in GABP.

Yankees game in which Ruben Sierra hit a HR in the bottom of the 9th to win the game 1-0.

BGSU vs. Central Florida - Daunte Culpepper came to Bowling Green and seemed larger than his lineman...

Reds vs. Brewers in 2008 when they hit 7 home runs (Bruce and Votto played "Anything you can do, I can do better")

Visits to Notre Dame, Michigan, and OSU on game days (games @ ND and UM)

Bengals vs. Ravens in 2005 where the Bengals went up 34 - 0 at one point (Chad did the end zone marker putt IIRC)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Saw Game 7 of the ALCS where the Yanks lost to the BoSox after being up 3-0. As someone who was at the height of their Yankee hatred, this was awesome. I felt like Cartman after Scott Tennerman ate his parents.

Wrestlemania 1 was also a huge milestone when I was young. Tremendous experience.

Oh, and after a Cincy game a few years back, my wife and I got hammered at 5th and Vine and O'Malley's with a Nats scout and Jim Hickey, the then pitching coach for Houston. Very cool night talking baseball with these guys. The scout was extremely nice but Hickey left a little to be desired.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-20-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Benihana

The #1 OSU #2 UM was played in 2006. It was on the BTN last night and I couldn't help but watch it. Probably one of my favorite games ever!
    You're right, my bad. Tried to block it out I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    - Saw the same Bruce Gradkowski, playing for my NFL favorite Tampa Bay, beat the Bengals in the first (and only) game I'd ever attended at Raymond James Stadium. I was born in Tampa, been a lifelong fan of the Buccaneers, but had never been to a game at their new stadium (we moved from Tampa long before it was built). I got tickets to the Bucs / Bengals game as a birthday gift, and went with 3 of my friends. Pretty amazing experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOBasinger View Post
    Bengals @ Redskins game in 04.
    I was at those two as well. 2 of the 4 times I've seen the Bengals play at another team's stadium- random.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-21-2010 at 01:01 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I was sitting on the Pacers bench for this:

YouTube - Reggie Miller Game Winner vs.Celtics

Right before the play started Jalen Rose yelled down at Derrick Mckey (who was inbounding the ball) to "fake him in the nuts". And I spilled water on Dale Davis during the time out.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 07-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    I watched bp from the upper deck at Wrigley...while sitting there talking baseball with Harry Caray. He had some stories. That was just a few months before he died.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Forgot one.

I went to the IU-UK 1975 NCAA regional finals at UD Arena. UK won 92-90. Probably the best basketball game I've ever attended.

IU was 31-0 going into the game and their next year would be their undefeated season. IU was Scott May (I think he played with a broken wrist), Kent Benson, et al and UK was Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Kevin Grevey, et al. UK had a stellar record as well.

Great game that just went back and forth for the whole game. We sat between the UK and IU bands and they played non-stop. Great college game and great atmosphere. I think UK ultimately lost in the NCAA finals to UCLA.

My dad and uncle were at that game and I've heard about it so much, I feel like I was there, even though I was still 6 months away from being born.

Supposedly Joe Hall's pregame speech was "ladder, scissors, net, bridge, state troopers" or something like that. I've heard him tell that story, but it's been a long time.

Edit: Box score and game story can be found here: http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/statist...22Indiana.html

As to mine, it's my 15th birthday. Game 2 of the 1990 NLCS. My mom (not dad... mom) signed me out of school early to go to the ballpark. The weather was great and the Reds won.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 07-21-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Forgot one.

I went to the IU-UK 1975 NCAA regional finals at UD Arena. UK won 92-90. Probably the best basketball game I've ever attended.

IU was 31-0 going into the game and their next year would be their undefeated season. IU was Scott May (I think he played with a broken wrist), Kent Benson, et al and UK was Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Kevin Grevey, et al. UK had a stellar record as well.

Great game that just went back and forth for the whole game. We sat between the UK and IU bands and they played non-stop. Great college game and great atmosphere. I think UK ultimately lost in the NCAA finals to UCLA.
    That's my favorite UK game of all time. It was a big revenge game for UK. Earlier that season IU pummeled UK in Bloomington by about 25 points. Also that was thegame Knight gave Joe B Hall a slap or cuff to the back of his head during the game. It was probably a big turnaround for that team that season because that game made them a lot tougher. I watched the NCAA game at home with my dad and uncle who was in visiting and was a big UK fan too. I think most everyone was expecting another IU blowout. Just a great game to watch and loved watching Knight stopmped off the floor after the game not shaking hands with anyone.

My list is short of actual game experiences but here it is:

1. 1988 All Star Game in Cincy. Just a great atmosphere to be in.

2. 1982 SEC Tournament in Lexington. The SEC Tourney wasn't as big then as now so I'm sure it wasn't as big a deal to most. But still very neat to see all the teams and their fans come in.

3. July 1,1973 doubleheader Reds/Dodgers. The turnaround games for that season for the Reds. Probably one of the best days of my childhood too. It was banner day and I got to walk on the field between games. Just an awesome experience for a 10 year old kid.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Can't believe I forgot this story when I started this thread. A lot of my friends refuse to believe it, and I don't care if you believe it or not, but I SWEAR that every single word of this story is true.

When I was in 7th grade (year 2002), I was attending a practice round at the Memorial tournament, and was attempting to follow Tiger Woods. This was right in the beginning of "Tigermania", and he had an absolutely huge crowd, even though it was a practice round. Anyways, I skipped ahead two holes, and waited in between the 10th green and the 11th tee to try to get an autograph on my program. I waited, and waited. As I waited, the crowd grew around me. Tiger putted out on 10, and began his walk towards 11. I had my blue sharpie out, and my program ready. As Tiger comes, so does EVERYONE else following him. I get bombarded by people trying to get up to the front where I was. People are reaching over top of me, to the left of me, to the right of me. I've never felt so claustrophobic. My blue sharpie cap is off, and my arms are extended out into the walkway. However, at this point, my arms are stuck because so many people are trying to reach around me. I lose my hat in the fray. I can barely even see Tiger as he walks by. But I did feel him.

After the fray, I walk back to the top of the hill behind the tee box, and meet back up with my friends.

"Did you get it? Did you get it?"

"No. But guys, I think I just wrote on Tiger Woods."

"What? What are you talking about?"

Sure enough, we look over at the tee box, and see Tiger and his then-coach Butch Harmon examining a 7"-9" blue streak across his white shirt from his left pectorl to his left bicep. We started dying laughing.

To this day, I do not have a Tiger Woods autograph, but by God, he has mine.

As an epilogue, I told this story to my parents when I got home, and I'm pretty sure they didn't believe me. Later that evening, we were sitting in the kitchen eating dinner, and the news played a short clip from the practice round, that showed Tiger getting his ball out of the hole on the 18th green. Sure enough, as he stood up, the big blue streak showed up on camera as clear as day.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Can't believe I forgot this story when I started this thread. A lot of my friends refuse to believe it, and I don't care if you believe it or not, but I SWEAR that every single word of this story is true.

When I was in 7th grade (year 2002), I was attending a practice round at the Memorial tournament, and was attempting to follow Tiger Woods. This was right in the beginning of "Tigermania", and he had an absolutely huge crowd, even though it was a practice round. Anyways, I skipped ahead two holes, and waited in between the 10th green and the 11th tee to try to get an autograph on my program. I waited, and waited. As I waited, the crowd grew around me. Tiger putted out on 10, and began his walk towards 11. I had my blue sharpie out, and my program ready. As Tiger comes, so does EVERYONE else following him. I get bombarded by people trying to get up to the front where I was. People are reaching over top of me, to the left of me, to the right of me. I've never felt so claustrophobic. My blue sharpie cap is off, and my arms are extended out into the walkway. However, at this point, my arms are stuck because so many people are trying to reach around me. I lose my hat in the fray. I can barely even see Tiger as he walks by. But I did feel him.

After the fray, I walk back to the top of the hill behind the tee box, and meet back up with my friends.

"Did you get it? Did you get it?"

"No. But guys, I think I just wrote on Tiger Woods."

"What? What are you talking about?"

Sure enough, we look over at the tee box, and see Tiger and his then-coach Butch Harmon examining a 7"-9" blue streak across his white shirt from his left pectorl to his left bicep. We started dying laughing.

To this day, I do not have a Tiger Woods autograph, but by God, he has mine.

As an epilogue, I told this story to my parents when I got home, and I'm pretty sure they didn't believe me. Later that evening, we were sitting in the kitchen eating dinner, and the news played a short clip from the practice round, that showed Tiger getting his ball out of the hole on the 18th green. Sure enough, as he stood up, the big blue streak showed up on camera as clear as day.
    That is awesome! haha great story

I love this thread, I'm going to add a few more of mine.

-As a 14 year old, I watched my beloved Northern Illinois Huskies lead by Michael Turner defeat #14 Maryland, the highest ranked team they have ever beaten, in overtime. Next to the Illinois/Arizona game, this has to be my favorite.
    YouTube - Northern Illinois Upsets Maryland (2003)

Then after traveling to see them lose games at Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa (twice), Minnesota, and Wisconsin (twice) I finally got to see them upset another BCS opponent last year. The NIU fans at this game were LOUD.
    YouTube - Northern Illinois at Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I attended Wake's next game. As a Louisville fan, I liked that better.
    I was there, too. Good game. Bummed at the outcome, but I still find it hard to comprehend that my school was in a BCS game. Kinda like watching Northwestern in the Rose Bowl or Butler in the NCAA title game. Did it really happen?

A few others:

* 1990 Liberty Bowl. I grew up an Ohio State fan, but I was pulling for Air Force that night. Air Force Sr. LB Brian Hill was game MVP. He was OSU trainer Billy Hill's son. It was the only time Billy got to see him play in person in college.

Brian went to my HS. I was a HS Sr. at the time. After the game, my uncle who wrote for the Memphis paper, got me down on the field. I had on my HS letter jacket, and I got to talk to Brian for about 30 seconds while he was still in uniform on the field after his final college football game.

* Reds won the 90 Series my Sr. year of HS. My dad (in very un-dad-like fashion) pulled me out of school so that we could drive down for the Fountain Square parade. Always the early bird, my dad made sure that we were the first fans in the Square. Literally. We set up shop before anyone else was there. I was in the front row for Chris Sabo's victory celebration tirade about the A's.

* During the mid-70s, my family went to a Reds-Padres game in Cincinnati. I was probably about 5 or 6 at the time. Got there when the gates opened to watch batting practice, infield practice, etc. My dad & I walked down to the railing next to the visitor's bullpen and watched Rollie Fingers work out. When he was done, Fingers walked over to me, asked my dad for a pen, and autographed the ball for me. If I could grow facial hair, I'd grow a Rollie Fingers stache.

* Watched in person as George Foster homered in his first game back in Cincinnati after going to the Mets. I cheered. Loudly.

* 9/22/04 - Reds vs. Braves. It was epic. Anderson Machado scored on his own bunt in the 4th inning (3 runs total on the play), and John Smoltz gave up 5 runs in the 9th to blow a save.

* Saw a game in Tiger Stadium in then-owner Tom Monaghan's "luxury" box. Only time I have ever worn dress slacks and a sports coat to a sporting event.

1. Attended the 1995 Rose Bowl. PSU capped a 12-0 season with a drubbing of Oregon, punctuated by an 80 TD run by Ki-Jana Carter on the 2nd play.

2. The Bengals trading up to #1 to draft Ki-Jana was pretty darn awesome for me. I was living in State College and was a huge Nittany Lion fan. If only his knees had held out.

3. 1995 "Snow Bowl" between Michigan and PSU. It snowed 18" on Wednesday. 100's of volunteers cleared out the stadium, but there was still snow everywhere. Joe-Pa had two personal fouls called against him for people throwing snowballs at Michigan players. Me and a buddy meanwhile (age 13) were pelting a stupid, fat, shirtless Michigan fan 15 rows below us who decided to make himself a target.

4. 2003 - 23rd ranked Wisconsin (where I was a Junior) beats #3 and defending national champion OSU 17-10 when Lee Evans burns Chris Gamble late in the 4th quarter. Our starting quarterback, Jim Sorgi, had been knocked out of the game with a throat injury when an OSU linebacker tried to strangle him after a play.

5. Reds/Cubs in 2000. My first game at Wrigley and Sean Casey takes my pen, signs a dozen autographs for other people, gives it back, and starts to head back to the dugout. After a few steps, he turns back and signs my hat, flashing me a classic Mayor grin.

6. 2001 Twins/As double header. Both games went in to extras and a young reliever named Johan Santana pitched 5+ innings in relief in the 2nd game. We got to the park at noon and didn't go home until midnight.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

1970 All Star game

Seeing Leo Durocher windmill Pete Rose around third base and flatten Ray Fosse to win the game was completely awesome. The buzz of everyone walking out of the game was absolutely tremendous. It was quite the moment.

Plus, as a 17 yr. old long hair hippie, I got to boo Richard Nixon.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Here's another for me...

I'm a Falcons fan and they were rolling in 1998. So I got a bunch of guys together and went to the Sunday night Falcs/Giants at Giants Stadium. All day tailgate, Falcs crush them, an all around great day.

So after the game we hit the pub at the hotel next to Giants Stadium and Paul McGuire was drinking at the bar. A friend of mine is a huge Titans fan and they were pretty good that year also. So we walk up to McGuire and my friend asks him who's better: The Titans or the Falcs. After McGuire says "After tonight, you'd have to say Atlanta", he looks him right in the face, points his finger at him and yells "You don't know what the F you're talking about". The whole bar went silent and we just dragged him away.

An absolute classic.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)
    Was a Columbus clippers batboy in he 90s when jeter, pettite, posada and rivera were all there.

Very fun times

Turn Off Ads?