Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettitte out 4-5 weeks. Yanks looking for pitching?

Cruisin' for trouble

Pettitte out 4-5 weeks. Yanks looking for pitching?

I like the fact that the Reds have excess starting pitching, even if there is no clear ace (Volquez TBD). I hate that I want to get rid of Harang considering what he has meant to the team the last few years, but would you trade Harang to the Yankees for a mid-level prospect, provided the Yankees pick up the remaining tab?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pettitte out 4-5 weeks. Yanks looking for pitching?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    I like the fact that the Reds have excess starting pitching, even if there is no clear ace (Volquez TBD). I hate that I want to get rid of Harang considering what he has meant to the team the last few years, but would you trade Harang to the Yankees for a mid-level prospect, provided the Yankees pick up the remaining tab?
    If we're talking a "mid-level prospect," I'd hope for more from Harang, and with the Yankees, us not eating a lot of his salary, if any. I know that's not the popular belief, but I'd hope for one or two mid-level prospects. But I think Harang would be a good fit for them. And it help with the logjam.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Harang and Maloney for C Austin Romine or P Noesi.

Romine profiles as a good defensive catcher with offensive tools, while Noesi doesn't walk anyone and K's a ton (but is a long way away). Or they could always grab Montero, who the Yanks might not trust to catch at all. (And they have a 1B in his prime not likely to move for a prospect.)

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Romine profiles as a good defensive catcher with offensive tools, while Noesi doesn't walk anyone and K's a ton (but is a long way away). Or they could always grab Montero, who the Yanks might not trust to catch at all. (And they have a 1B in his prime not likely to move for a prospect.)
    Double Post... Sorry.
    Last edited by nemesis; 07-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Resident PED Expert

They might give up Montero if we give them Alonso in a package with Harang. Alonso is ARod's good good buddy and a good candidate for DH.

I could see them giving up Noesi for Harang. That is a Yankee like trade.

While in Portland, Maine, earlier this year, I saw Romine playing for Trenton against the Sea Dogs. His defensive mechanics were awful. The Thunder brought in a hard throwing right hander with the runners in scoring position. Every one of the guy's first three or four pitches were breaking sharply to Romine's right, and he never once shifted his body to catch them. He reached and backhanded them. The four or fifth pitch went under his glove and to the backstop allowing the tying run to score. I watch a lot of baseball and can't recall a catcher ever employ a backhand grab at such pitches. For me, he is just another overhyped Yankee prospect.

As for Harang to the Yankees, I'd be surprised if they'd settle for a pitcher of Harang's ilk. I suspect they might be interested but only after exhausting efforts for Oswalt or maybe Haren. Really, they may be the only team capable of taking on the $25 million owed Oswalt plus his option.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

We always get the screws put to us when we deal with the Yankees. I will pass..
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    We always get the screws put to us when we deal with the Yankees. I will pass..
    For example...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    They might give up Montero if we give them Alonso in a package with Harang. Alonso is ARod's good good buddy and a good candidate for DH.

I could see them giving up Noesi for Harang. That is a Yankee like trade.
    I want what you're having.

Montero for Alonso and Harang? No chance!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The Yankees don't need pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Yankees don't need pitching.
    True, but the Yankees have been known to throw money at situations, regardless of it actually helping the team or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For example...?
    Off the top of my head:

Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill.

Drew Henson, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, and Ed Yarnell for Denny Neagle and Mike Frank.

Brandon Claussen for Aaron Boone and Gabe White.

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Returns on Roberto Kelly eventually turned into Sean Casey.

Returns on Denny Neagle and Mike Frank eventually turned into Bronson Arroyo.

Returns on Brandon Claussen have not turned into anything that I can remember.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Off the top of my head:

Drew Henson, Jackson Melian, Brian Reith, and Ed Yarnell for Denny Neagle and Mike Frank.

Don't forget Hal Morris for my main man Van Snider!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Off the top of my head:

I'll give you Kelly for O'Neill but that was almost 20 years ago.

Neagle and Frank didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Except for that pennant winning HR, Boone didn't turn into anything special for NY.

Bottom line is I'm going to deal with any team that can help me out. I'm not going to worry about a trade that went bad 20 years ago.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For example...?
    Jerry Hairston for Chase Weems!

Turn Off Ads?