Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July 19 Transactions

Re: July 19 Transactions

Watson seemed to find some control the first few seasons in the minors, unfortunately his last few seasons he reverted back to what plagued him with the Vols. I would imagine someone will take a shot on him.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can I ask what about Junior Arias's plate discipline says he should sniff the Pioneer League this season?
    What about Billy Hamilton's 2009 suggested he was ready for Billings this year? The kid was an out machine in the GCL. Sometimes kids talent exceeds their skills. I don't think Junior Arias should be in the Pioneer league this year. But not exactly for the same reason you do. I think with a kid like Arias he still has some adjusting to do that Hamilton doesn't. Arias does seem to be the better hitter, certainly more power, but Hamilton had to deal with a tougher hitters league in the GCL as opposed to the hitter friendly AZL. That said, the next HR Hamilton hits as a Mustang will be his first professional HR. Kid has zero power, but that isn't his game.

I think Arias would struggle a bit in the Pioneer league but eventually adjust. I don't see the need to rush an 18 year old kid. 19 in the Pioneer league is still pretty young.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Billy's game...

I am perfectly willing to accept a guy who doesn't hit home runs at either 2nd or SS or CF. All he has to do is play GG defense, lead off, OBS at > .400, 150+ hits a year, and steal 30+ bases a year. If he is doing this I could care less about him hitting one HR his whole major league career.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Billy's game...

I am perfectly willing to accept a guy who doesn't hit home runs at either 2nd or SS or CF. All he has to do is play GG defense, lead off, OBS at > .400, 150+ hits a year, and steal 30+ bases a year. If he is doing this I could care less about him hitting one HR his whole major league career.
    Power will probably develop unless hes Luis Castillo which given his speed wouldnt be a bad major league player, and depending on his D could be a very good major league palyer.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Billy's game...

yeah, I'd like it to be 1976 too. Name a single MLB SS or 2B that does this without some power component to his game? Andrus and..... I got nothing.

of the 21 2B that qualify for a batting title, only 1 will steal 30 bases this year. Chone Figgins, and one other might, Ryan Theriot. BP is going to fall short, but might steal 20. Not a single 2B fits your criteria of anything near a .400 OBP without power except Kinsler, and he's been hurt this year. He'll still finish with 10+ HR's

At SS, that number increases to 3 that more than likely will, and 6 total that could steal 30. Half of those will have double digit HR's, with Ramirez maybe hitting 30 if he gets hot. Only Andrus is devoid of power. Only Furcal comes close to a .400 OBP (.391). Ramirez is second at .377, and Andrus 3rd at .358

CF is a different animal, as many as 17 guys with a shot at 30 SB's. 11 of those will finish with 10+ HR's, 6 of those with 20+ HR's.

Your expectations of what a MI is, are well, unrealistic.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

More signings and Roster moves from Baseball America. 46th round draft pick Patrick Quinn among the signings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9577

Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: OF Drew Poulk (NDFA—North Carolina State)
    Draft pick signed: RHP Pat Quinn (46)
    Released: RHP Jon Adkins, LHP Derrick Lowery
    Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Mark Serrano
    Reinstated from DL: SS Jake Kahaulelio, OF Sean Conner

Drafted as a first baseman last year from Young Harris (Ga.) JC, Derrick Lowery tried his hand at pitching before drawing his release. He gave up nine runs on 12 hits over 5 1/3 innings in the Rookie-level Arizona League.

From the Billings Gazette:

DeShields announced the promotion of starting pitcher Clayton Shunick to Dayton, the Cincinnati Reds’ Single-A affiliate in Ohio.

Shunick, a fifth-round draft choice in 2008 making his second stop in Billings, missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery but went 3-0 with a 3.80 ERA in five July starts to earn a promotion.

“Good for him. That’s really what we’re all about down here,” DeShields said. “We’re not trying to keep guys here. It’s all about getting guys to the next level. He’s made the adjustments he needed to make and he got the call.”
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html

Clayton Shunick was a pick I really wanted to see the last few years. Hopefully that arm stays on.

The Cincinnati Reds have made one player transaction impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's series opener against the Jacksonville Suns.

OF Sean Danielson has been released. Danielson hit .258 with one home run, eight RBI and nine stolen bases in 79 games for the Mudcats. Danielson had signed with the Reds last December after spending the previous two seasons in the Boston Red Sox organization.

Danielson had been placed on the temporary inactive list over the weekend.

-The Insider-

My first guess is he asked for it since they put him on the TI list. I'll find out though.

The Cincinnati Reds have made a set of player moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to Thursday night's game with the Jacksonville Suns.

RHP Daryl Thompson has been placed on the disabled list for the second time this season, retroactive to July 25th, while RHP Matt Klinker has been reassigned to Carolina.

Thompson, who pitched four innings in Montgomery on July 24th, was scheduled to start Friday night against the Suns. Klinker, who compiled a 4-1 record at Triple-A Louisville, returns to the Southern League where he remains the ERA leader (1.75) and will start in Thompson's place on Friday.

DISABLE: RHP Thompson, Daryl (To DL, retro 7/25)
    ADD: RHP Klinker, Matt (From Louisville)

The Reds really need to make a decision on Thompson. His last three starts have been three or four innings each. The present plan isn't working.

-The Insider-

It might just be a paper move. I'll find out tonight though for sure.

-The Insider-

Nvm, it's not a paper move. DT expected to only miss one start, according to Mudcats radio twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Watson seemed to find some control the first few seasons in the minors, unfortunately his last few seasons he reverted back to what plagued him with the Vols. I would imagine someone will take a shot on him.
    Well his control problems in the upper minors were a result of no one offering at his one good pitch (Knuckle Curve) that he couldn't throw for a strike if they didn't. Those kids in Dayton were hacking away on it. He just couldn't/didn't try to develop himself, and he wasn't in the best of shape either. He always looked like a young Burba or Mark Portugal to me. I guess someone in development/reds brass early on wanted him to lose some lbs. and he may have for a short time but not sure that continued. I just don't believe the kid had the discipline to reach/play major league ball.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?