Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer's Quotes on his possible return

Homer's Quotes on his possible return

From Fay:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Bailey is still a ways away obviously. Given how late it is in the season, their position in the standing and the depth of starting pitching, would the Reds consider Bailey for a relief role?

“I don’t know,” Dusty Baker said. “Right now, we’re conditioning him as a starter.”

Bailey has never relieved – except under the piggy-back system used in the minors one year – but he’s willing.

Whatever they want me to do,” he said. “You’ve got to learn to make adjustments. I’ll do whatever they want me to.
    Just thought worth highlighting that since there seems to be a lingering perception that Bailey is still headstrong and not a team player. Sounds like he wants to do what he can to help. I like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer's Quotes on his possible return

Bailey could be very useful in the bullpen. His command concerns me some...but I think down the stretch, Bailey could be useful in the pen while increasing his value to the team and as a possible trade target if the Reds decide to move him. If not, they could stick him back in the rotation next year (if there is room)!

I kinda look at Bailey and wonder if he might not be an in-house replacement for Cordero someday. Not sure how easy that conversion is, but it is far from unheard of, see, e.g., Papelbon...

I think Homer is unfairly labeled as 'not a team player'. He is sometimes reactionary no doubt, being upset about the DL and all, but he seems to always do whatever is asked of him. Theres a difference in not doing what is asked and not being a yes man.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think Homer is unfairly labeled as 'not a team player'. He is sometimes reactionary no doubt, being upset about the DL and all, but he seems to always do whatever is asked of him. Theres a difference in not doing what is asked and not being a yes man.
    Full agreement. Kinda why I thought the above quote was worth noting.

Future Reds Closer. I doubt there will ever be any room for him in the rotation again. I'm sure he'll be in the bullpen when he comes back and eventually the new closer.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    That's my thought to. His reaction to the DL, I thought was about wanting to work through it. After he was DL'ed, he certainly seem to understand that what was best for his long-term future (and the team's), was the best approach. The last two seasons has shown a much more mature Homer Bailey which has been for the better. Along with all the other young arms, he's helping to continue the dilemma of the plethora of starters we have.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The two biggest transitions, I would think, would be the mental aspect of developing that mental toughness as a set-up guy/closer, and also the physical grind of being able to pitch 3-4 days in a row in one inning spurts.

Question is, can Bailey adjust? I think eventually, he can develop the mental toughness.

Plus, he can probably air it out and throw 97-98 mph if he only has to go one inning a night.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

i have never read what Homer's exact issue/injury is. can someone fill me in? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i have never read what Homer's exact issue/injury is. can someone fill me in? thanks.
    Shoulder tightness was the issue. I don't think it's been any more specific than that.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Shoulder tightness was the issue. I don't think it's been any more specific than that.
    thanks. thats all i ever heard as well.

Starting out in the pen could let him restretch his arm out. Then when Leake/Volquez needs shut down he could jump back into the rotation. Would make Owings a replacable arm in the pen?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

On the shelf all season with a sore shoulder. Not quite the breakout year I had hoped for.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Future Reds Closer. I doubt there will ever be any room for him in the rotation again. I'm sure he'll be in the bullpen when he comes back and eventually the new closer.
    If he performs like he did the last month and a half of last year...he's not in the rotation? If he performs like he was trending prior to the DL this year...he's not in the rotation? He's stated before that he's a slow starter, both in the season and in a game. I agree with that assessment. And it doesn't fit a relievers' mold. A relievers' got to get ready in a hurry and come in guns a'blazin'. That's not Homer.

No, I see the Reds dealing either Arroyo or Harang and sitting Leake down. Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, Arroyo/Harang is what I'm thinking for the stretch. Leake in the wings along with Maloney.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If he performs like he did the last month and a half of last year...he's not in the rotation? If he performs like he was trending prior to the DL this year...he's not in the rotation? He's stated before that he's a slow starter, both in the season and in a game. I agree with that assessment. And it doesn't fit a relievers' mold. A relievers' got to get ready in a hurry and come in guns a'blazin'. That's not Homer.

No, I see the Reds dealing either Arroyo or Harang and sitting Leake down. Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, Arroyo/Harang is what I'm thinking for the stretch. Leake in the wings along with Maloney.
    No. he's not in the rotation.

He's not better than Cueto.
    He's not better than Volquez.
    He's not better than Leake.
    He's not better than Wood.

And one of Arroyo/Harang will be kept.

It remains to be seen whether he's better than Maloney or Chapman. He might be better than LeCure, but I see LeCure as a future long reliever anyway.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?