Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Zack Cozart

  1. #16
    Member dunner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    607

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm not sure how likely it is Cabrera won't come back. I feel like he will. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Janish is the starter next year. I think he'll out hit a rookie Cozart, who can ride the bench like Janish has. Seems fair. Can Cozart fill in at 2b or 3b?
    If cabera comes back next year I would hope its to fill the same role hatteberg did a few years ago. Give some veteran leadership and insurance until the young player is ready, and once he is then head to the bench.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Ryan Hanigan was never a prospect to get excited about, but by replicating his numbers in the minors at the major league level, he has shown that he has a lot of value. The same is likely for Cozart. Cozart will probably never be an all-star (although I wouldn't rule it out completely), but he will at least be valuable to a major league team somewhere. That doesn't sound exciting to some, but personally, I'm thrilled.

  4. #18
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Ryan Hanigan was never a prospect to get excited about, but by replicating his numbers in the minors at the major league level, he has shown that he has a lot of value. The same is likely for Cozart. Cozart will probably never be an all-star (although I wouldn't rule it out completely), but he will at least be valuable to a major league team somewhere. That doesn't sound exciting to some, but personally, I'm thrilled.


    As bad as the SS position has been the last few years, I can't blame you.

    Since Larkin retired, it's been Aurillia, Lopez, Gonzalez, Hariston, Keppinger, Janish and now Cabrera. Not to much to be excited over. 5 of the 7 couldn't or can't play neutral D at the position and the two that can or did have had trouble at the plate. Cozart could possibly do both.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  5. #19
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    As bad as the SS position has been the last few years, I can't blame you.

    Since Larkin retired, it's been Aurillia, Lopez, Gonzalez, Hariston, Keppinger, Janish and now Cabrera. Not to much to be excited over. 5 of the 7 couldn't or can't play neutral D at the position and the two that can or did have had trouble at the plate. Cozart could possibly do both.
    Agreed, Cozart is a big step in the right direction. And the fact that he has the discipline that he has shown bodes well for further improvement there. Besides Mes he might be the most usable piece left on the farm. IMO he is an above average SS similiar to but a little more well rounded if slightly less talented than J.J. Hardy. He (and Janish) might bridge the perfect gap to a potential star SS like Hamilton or one of the other many talented youngsters.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  6. #20
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Another big game for Zack Cozart today: 3-for-5 with two doubles and his 15th HR. He's now hitting .313/.402/.575 - .977 OPS in July and .266/.333/.457 - .790 OPS overall. Pretty solid numbers overall.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Zack Cozart

    You know every once in a while some players play better at the major leagues? I have a feeling Cozart will be one of them. Seeing better pitching will probably give him a bump.

    Total guess work on me.
    Last edited by GIDP; 07-25-2010 at 07:47 PM.

  8. #22
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    You know every once in a while some players play better at the major leagues? I have a feeling Cozart will be one of them. Seeing better pitching will probably give him a bump.

    Total guess work on me.
    Funny you mention that, as I was kind of thinking the same thing the other day. I'm excited about the possibility of his taking over the position next year. He's slowly improving year over year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Funny you mention that, as I was kind of thinking the same thing the other day. I'm excited about the possibility of his taking over the position next year. He's slowly improving year over year.
    Yea I mean I have nothing to prove it or any stats to back it up but I just have a hunch that his power might show up a little more and that his strike out rate might lower a tad.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262

    Re: Zack Cozart

    What is O cab's contract like next year? Thought they were reporting $3 millions option with $1 million buyout. Anyone know if it is player or team option?

    Worried if Ocab is here next year, there is no chance Cozart gets a chance.

  11. #25
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    What is O cab's contract like next year? Thought they were reporting $3 millions option with $1 million buyout. Anyone know if it is player or team option?

    Worried if Ocab is here next year, there is no chance Cozart gets a chance.
    Orlando Cabrera
    1 year/$3.02M (2010), plus 2011 mutual option
    $1.5M signing bonus
    2010:$0.77M
    2011:$4M mutual option ($1M buyout if player exercises and club declines; $0.5M buyout if player declines)

    I can't make sense of the math, but to answer your question, it's a mutual option, but if Cabrera picks up the option, it doubles the cost of the buyout.

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    This.

    I think alot of my frustration with the masses is unless a guy has a TOR arm or at least 3 plus tools, he immediately isn't a prospect worthy of playing for the Reds. There are not many SS in the entire minors that profile as .750+ OPS guys in the ML who also play decent D at the position. Cozart is one of them. Short of Mesoraco he is to me the single most cost saving, important prospect in the Reds system.
    I think a playoff-worrthy team can afford carry one position starter primarily for thier glove (usually SS or C). They just have to be of GG qualtiy defensely and hit at the bottom of the order.

  13. #27
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Cozart has done a great job on the basepaths this year. He's 23-for-26 in stolen base attempts. He's only three stolen bases behind the league leader (Desmond Jennings).

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Whats interesting is that his BB% has doubled this season, but his power has dropped.

    Imagine if the BB% stays where it is and his power numbers come back up a little. Could be looking at one heck of a good player.

    A mid .700 OPS would put him around Stephen Drew type of bat. I could live with that, especially if he picks up a little in the slugging.

    Actually nvm I was looking at his stats from 2009.

    FAIL. Still my previous points still kinda stand since the stats arent all that much off. His BB rate is around 8% and the ISO is up over .180.
    Last edited by GIDP; 07-25-2010 at 11:07 PM.

  15. #29
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Code:
    Month	AVG	AB	R	H	2B	HR	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	OPS
    
    July	.313	80	19	25	6	5	12	18	7	1	.402	.575	.977

  16. #30
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Zack Cozart

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Whats interesting is that his BB% has doubled this season, but his power has dropped.

    Imagine if the BB% stays where it is and his power numbers come back up a little. Could be looking at one heck of a good player.

    A mid .700 OPS would put him around Stephen Drew type of bat. I could live with that, especially if he picks up a little in the slugging.

    Actually nvm I was looking at his stats from 2009.

    FAIL. Still my previous points still kinda stand since the stats arent all that much off. His BB rate is around 8% and the ISO is up over .180.
    His numbers in 2009 are a bit skewed. He was raking the first half of the year and had a injury (ankle?) that took him out of the field for a long while IIRC, and tried to DH on it. His numbers fell drastically during that stretch but once he fully healed, he had a bit of an upswing in his #'s...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25