Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Central & NL Wildcard Scoreboard Watching, Part II

NL Central & NL Wildcard Scoreboard Watching, Part II

With the other thread (Reds are in first place in the NL Central) approaching 1,000 posts, this may be a good place to continue discussion on the Reds' playoff chase.

The Reds are currently a half game out of the NL Central behind St. Louis, but they do lead the NL Wildcard by a half game over the Giants. The Rockies, Mets, Dodgers and Phillies are also in the thick of the wildcard race, and at this time there are realistically about nine teams in the NL in playoff contention.

As nice as it'd be to squarely concentrate on St. Louis and the NL Central division title, I think the wildcard will be also be a legitimate focus as the season wears on. It's starting to reach the point where not only do we want the Cardinals to lose, but I'm also rooting for other NL playoff contenders to lose on a nightly basis if it helps the Reds playoff chances.

Tonight's games of interest:

Philadelphia @ St. Louis

San Diego @ Atlanta
    Colorado @ Florida
    NY Mets @ Arizona
    San Francisco @ LA Dodgers
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: NL Central & NL Wildcard Scoreboard Watching

I will NOT watch the wildcard. The Reds ARE gonna win the division, and have no need to worry about it!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I will NOT watch the wildcard. The Reds ARE gonna win the division, and have no need to worry about it!

2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I said that in 1999, and then the division title left the building. A few nights later, the wildcard also left the building.

My theory on the postseason is just get in any way possible, then the door of possibilities are there for the taking. Sure I'd prefer the Reds win the division, but the wildcard also provides a path to the pennant and World Series.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I think it's best to keep an eye on the whole picture.

My theory on the postseason is just get in any way possible, then the door of possibilities are there for the taking. Sure I'd prefer the Reds win the division, but the wildcard also provides a path to the pennant and World Series.
    I think it's best to keep an eye on the whole picture.
    Yeah, I know... but ya gotta believe!!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Showing your age, young man. You'll soon learn to be pessimistic like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I said that in 1999, and then the division title left the building. A few nights later, the wildcard also left the building.

Word.

I've been watching the Wild Card scrum for weeks now.

Have to hope that as the NL West returns to playing each other, that they devour their own and help the Reds get some seperation.

Personally, I think the Reds best shot is the division title. Those NL West teams are all very strong and it would be hard to best all of them. But it should make it fun this second half. Lots of teams to watch.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Showing your age, young man. You'll soon learn to be pessimistic like the rest of us.
    Don't listen to 'em 320! You've got the right attitude, keep it! This is NOT the same club that has turned the fans into grumpy old men for the past 10 years. Keep the optimism!!!
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Don't listen to 'em 320!
    Oh I don't. Funny thing is I'm a pessimistic person in general, but an optimistic Reds Fan!!! THIS IS THE YEAR!!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think there's actually a very good chance the Wildcard comes out of the central. In the both the East and the West, you have 4 teams with a realistic shot at the division or the wild card fighting it out; they'll beat up on each other a bit. In the Central, it's just us and the Cards.

Code:
    Wild Card Teams	W	L	PCT	GB	
    Cincinnati	52	42	.553	-
    San Francisco	51	42	.548	0.5
    Colorado	50	42	.543	1.0
    LA Dodgers	49	44	.527	2.5
    NY Mets		49	44	.527	2.5
    Philadelphia	48	44	.522	3.0
    Florida		45	47	.489	6.0
    Milwaukee	43	51	.457	9.0
    Chi Cubs	42	52	.447	10.0
    Washington	40	53	.430	11.5
    Houston		38	55	.409	13.5
    Arizona		35	58	.376	16.5
    Pittsburgh	32	60	.348	19.0
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So, the Cardinals' weird baseball luck with who they are dealing with for opposing pitchers continues. You will recall that they played three against the Mariners last month and didn't have to face Lee or Hernandez (who then pitched against the Reds), and now I just realized that in their current series against Philly they will miss Halladay and Hamels, meaning Kendrick (lit up last night), Moyer and Blanton are the pitchers they draw.

Annoying.

(And, yes, I know the Reds got lucky and missed Jiminez last weekend. But that has been the exception rather than the rule this year, if a team has an ace, the Reds have generally had to deal with it).

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    So, the Cardinals' weird baseball luck with who they are dealing with for opposing pitchers continues. You will recall that they played three against the Mariners last month and didn't have to face Lee or Hernandez (who then pitched against the Reds), and now I just realized that in their current series against Philly they will miss Halladay and Hamels, meaning Kendrick (lit up last night), Moyer and Blanton are the pitchers they draw.

Annoying.

(And, yes, I know the Reds got lucky and missed Jiminez last weekend. But that has been the exception rather than the rule this year, if a team has an ace, the Reds have generally had to deal with it).
    And it looks like it's again paying dividends for the Cards. They lead big over Philly 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th. This'll be their 7th win in a row, yet over the last 5 games the Reds have kept pace.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    And it looks like it's again paying dividends for the Cards. They lead big over Philly 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th. This'll be their 7th win in a row, yet over the last 5 games the Reds have kept pace.
    I'm not sure how have "kept pace" when in the last 5 games they have won all 5 and we haven't.

Turn Off Ads?