Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verducci weighs in on the Reds

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Verducci weighs in on the Reds

Hadn't seen this on the site yet...more national pub.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Verducci weighs in on the Reds

From that article:

Rookie Travis Wood, 23, allowed the Rockies one run over six innings in his first home start on Sunday, giving him a 2.03 ERA after four big-league starts. Wood was the 60th pitcher taken in the 2005 draft, the 30th selected out of high school.

"Right now he's a solid fourth or fifth [starter]," Jocketty said, "with the potential to be a two or three one day."

That was a nice mix of "Help is on the way" and the ol' "Yea but look who it was against..."

The Reds have their flaws. They don't have a legitimate leadoff hitter. (Orlando Cabrera, who has a .292 on-base percentage and is the least patient hitter on the team, hits there most often, while overall their leadoff hitters post a .277 OBP, the worst mark in baseball.)
    He makes it sound like they switch off when in reality once Dusty flipped them in the lineup it's been Phillips hitting leadoff pretty exclusively. Big difference.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    That was a nice mix of "Help is on the way" and the ol' "Yea but look who it was against..."
    Yeah, that bothered me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I figure it's hard for Verducci to admit he was wrong. That lets him do it. Both he and Heyman have been less than optimistic about Cincy's chances at various points throughout this season...

I hate the idiotic bandbox of a stadium argument.

GABP has played about as slightly better offensive ball park than Riverfront.
    This year it is playing neutral according to Baseball-Reference.(Please let me know if there's a better site.)

The dimensions aside from right field and right center are pretty much average. This was a big deal when the Reds two biggest power hitters were both lefthanded. Admittedly Votto's and Bruce are left handed, but it's not like the cheap right field fence has helped Rolen(17 HR) Gomes, Phillips, Stubbs(13 HR.)

People believed that GABP was a cheap ball park for homers because the Reds throughout the 2000's were a team built for the home run both for and against.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I've always wondered about the "neutrality" of a given ballpark. Were a lot of HR's hit in GABP because of the park or because the Reds pitching kinda sucked?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I didn't take the "look who it's against" argument to be a shot. I took it at face value: that the Reds won't have a ton of land mines the last month of the season -- which in theory should greatly improve the chances they're in the race until the end.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I didn't take the "look who it's against" argument to be a shot. I took it at face value: that the Reds won't have a ton of land mines the last month of the season -- which in theory should greatly improve the chances they're in the race until the end.
    Beyond even lacking land mines, they'll be playing teams that will have sold off key components and will be giving the 40 man a once-over in September.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Problem is the Indians took the Twins to the woodshed last night and MLB TV said they don't even know how to be afraid and know to lay down. That is what I worry about when you start taking wins for granted against the Astros, Pirates and Cubs of the world. As I recall Seattle swept us and KC took 2 of 3 at home.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Problem is the Indians took the Twins to the woodshed last night and MLB TV said they don't even know how to be afraid and know to lay down. That is what I worry about when you start taking wins for granted against the Astros, Pirates and Cubs of the world. As I recall Seattle swept us and KC took 2 of 3 at home.

Yep. We've played spoiler ourselves a few times over the past decade.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The whole thing has a bit of a backhanded compliment feel to it. I guess it's the umpteen times he brings it up. I don't recall the Cards getting hammered for their weak division brethren low these past 10+ years.

Speaking of which we are 5-7 against the Cards which means we are holding our own with the "best" in the division 2 at their place and 3 in ours.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-20-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't really buy the "easiest schedule" notion. For the most part it balances out over the course of the year. The Reds can't help it that their division sans StL is bad this year. They can't help it that they already have finished their series against Philly and the Mets. They can't help it that the have already played the majority of their games against the Cards.

The Cubs and the Brewers have some talent and have been playing better lately so I wouldn't list them as creampuffs.

I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them make a run at the Reds and Cards in August.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

People believed that GABP was a cheap ball park for homers because the Reds throughout the 2000's were a team built for the home run both for and against.
    wiser words have never been spoken.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?