Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please let him opt out

Please let him opt out

The Reds could lose Gary Matthews Jr. to free agency if they donít call him up by next Tuesday, July 24th, according to ESPN.comís Jerry Crasnick. Matthews has an out clause that will enable him to opt out of the deal he signed with the Reds if he isnít in the majors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Please let him opt out

I would rather GMJ be up here as our 5th outfielder than Nix. Nix brings nothing to the table besides a giant swing and a miss. GMJ would actually bring a higher OBP than Nix as a PH, and with a PH you want a guy that can get on base and get to your starting bats. Not saying GMJ is a good PH by any means, but Nix is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I would rather GMJ be up here as our 5th outfielder than Nix. Nix brings nothing to the table besides a giant swing and a miss. GMJ would actually bring a higher OBP than Nix as a PH, and with a PH you want a guy that can get on base and get to your starting bats. Not saying GMJ is a good PH by any means, but Nix is bad.
    The problem is Dusty won't use him as a PH, he will be one of our staring OF, so yes he will do more damage then Nix ever could.

I do agree that I'd rather see GMJ up here than Nix.

IF GMJ is so good why have 2 other teams released him, with one willing to eat a HUGE contract just to get him off their team?

Also where do you put Dickerson when he comes back?

Dickerson >>>>>>> Matthews. Let him go.

Dickerson is made of glass. Do we really want to rely on him if and when he ever comes back?

I'm all for bringing him up if we get rid of Nix, but he better not get much playing time. Or if he gets hot, trade him.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    IF GMJ is so good why have 2 other teams released him, with one willing to eat a HUGE contract just to get him off their team?
    Never said GMJ was good, but Nix is terrible.

When is Dickerson coming back? I haven't heard an update on him in a while, but would obviously prefer Dickerson to Nix or GMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Never said GMJ was good, but Nix is terrible.

When is Dickerson coming back? I haven't heard an update on him in a while, but would obviously prefer Dickerson to Nix or GMJ.
    The difference is that Nix plays very little which is fine, second i don't believe he is horrible, just not on the level of our base 4, third, GMJ will not be used like Nix is, he will play in place of either Stubbs or Bruce which is a bad thing.:thumbdown

If GMJ didn't have a massive contract that he didn't live up to people would view him a lot differently. He's not as awful as some people try to make him out to be, and has had more success than either Dickerson or Nix throughout his career. I think he should be brought up and Nix should be DFA.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    If GMJ didn't have a massive contract that he didn't live up to people would view him a lot differently. He's not as awful as some people try to make him out to be, and has had more success than either Dickerson or Nix throughout his career. I think he should be brought up and Nix should be DFA.

He had 1, count them 1 good season and that was a result of his little friend called PED. His numbers do NOT warrent a promotion to a starting position on this club. Stay with Nix until Dickerson is ready, let GMJ walk...

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    He had 1, count them 1 good season and that was a result of his little friend called PED. His numbers do NOT warrent a promotion to a starting position on this club. Stay with Nix until Dickerson is ready, let GMJ walk...
    How many good seasons have Nix and Dickerson had? That's right, absolutely none. Nix numbers and Dickerson's injury history do not warrant a spot on the team. GMJ has been good enough in AAA for me.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    How many good seasons have Nix and Dickerson had? That's right, absolutely none. Nix numbers and Dickerson's injury history do not warrant a spot on the team. GMJ has been good enough in AAA for me.
    Neither of them are starters, they are bench players, GMJ is not going to come up here and sit the bench. He is going to play, so are okay with him in the outfield over Bruce or Stubbs?

Turn Off Ads?