Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Milford, Clifton
    Posts
    1,585

    Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    http://minors.mlblogs.com/

    According to Mayo.

    Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds: Talk about a breakout. The 2007 first-rounder has split the year between the Class A advanced Carolina League and Double-A Southern League, not exactly known as hitting-friendly circuits. Neverthleless, the 22-year-old Mesoraco has hit a combined .319/.389/.631 in 80 games. His 1.021 OPS is good for eighth overall. He's got 20 homers and 53 RBIs. And he's thrown out 42 percent of would-be base stealers. Not a bad combination of skills.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    If he was on the radar prior to the season he might win it, but I guess if hes a candidate thats just as good considering.

  4. #3
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Be shocked if anyone but Dominic Brown won it. I am surprised he isn't mentioned. Arencibia is having one heck of a year but if the Jays move Buck he'll be in Jay Land the next day.
    Last edited by nemesis; 07-20-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,092

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Be shocked if anyone but Dominic Brown won it. I am surprised he isn't mentioned. Arencibia is having one heck of a year but if the Jays move Buck he'll be in Jay Land the next day.
    The award is Brown's to lose. Mike Trout and Mike Moustakas are in the conversation as well.

  6. #5
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    He's got to be the leading candidate for the Reds Minor League POTY. Right? I'm guessing not many picked him as a front-runner for that award back in March.

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,092

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He's got to be the leading candidate for the Reds Minor League POTY. Right? I'm guessing not many picked him as a front-runner for that award back in March.
    No one else is close. Donnie Joseph has been flat out dominant, but as a reliever, you just can't put that in the same class. No one else has been flat dominant like those two guys.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Seriously who would be second? Juan Francisco or Joseph, then its basically who wins the award for having the most mediocre season.

  9. #8
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    I'd pick Dave Sappelt or possibly Danny Dorn before I picked Juan Francisco. The Reds' minor league pitcher of the year will go to Donnie Joseph, Matt Klinker, Matt Maloney, or Jordan Hotchkiss.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd pick Dave Sappelt or possibly Danny Dorn before I picked Juan Francisco. The Reds' minor league pitcher of the year will go to Donnie Joseph, Matt Klinker, Matt Maloney, or Jordan Hotchkiss.
    Sappelt is probably a 2nd place guy now that I think about it.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    368

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No one else is close. Donnie Joseph has been flat out dominant, but as a reliever, you just can't put that in the same class. No one else has been flat dominant like those two guys.
    Sappelt is only leading the Southern league in batting, has a .520 slg avg and a ops of .904. He also has a obp of .384.

    Surprised no one mentioned the Cubs catching prospect Robinson Chirinos
    Avg .319
    Slg. .597
    OBP .407
    OPS 1.004

    That is for a full season at AA.

  12. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,092

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Overall though Sappelt is only at an .857 OPS. Guy has had a very good year, but it hasn't quite been dominant. Yet. Still a 6 weeks left to get to that point.

  13. #12
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Code:
    Player 	        ERA 	G 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	HB 	BB 	SO 	WHIP 	HLD 	GF 
    Carlos Fisher	1.86	23	4	29.0	13	6	6	4	0	6	30	0.66	7	8
    
    Donnie Joseph	1.52	19	9	23.2	12	4	4	2	1	8	40	0.85	1	17
    That's a pretty good battle for best reliever. Fisher has 25% less Ks but he also has 25% less walks. Fisher has a decidedly better BAA.

    For both of them, if anyone wants to score a run against them, they'd better hit a HR. Chances drop off a cliff if they don't.

    Still, I think the edge has to go to Joseph.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,654

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    I didn't realize Fisher was having the season that he is. Good call, goya. By those numbers, you could make a very good case for him as the top reliever, at least. And unlike so many of the Louisville players, Fisher hasn't been compromised by the slumping that seems to accompany the disappointment of not sticking with the big club.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Code:
    Player 	        ERA 	G 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	HB 	BB 	SO 	WHIP 	HLD 	GF 
    Carlos Fisher	1.86	23	4	29.0	13	6	6	4	0	6	30	0.66	7	8
    
    Donnie Joseph	1.52	19	9	23.2	12	4	4	2	1	8	40	0.85	1	17
    That's a pretty good battle for best reliever. Fisher has 25% less Ks but he also has 25% less walks. Fisher has a decidedly better BAA.

    For both of them, if anyone wants to score a run against them, they'd better hit a HR. Chances drop off a cliff if they don't.

    Still, I think the edge has to go to Joseph.
    Thats not Josephs full season stats though. He also had another 23 innings in low A with 40 strike outs and 7 walks.

  16. #15
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    And unlike so many of the Louisville players, Fisher hasn't been compromised by the slumping that seems to accompany the disappointment of not sticking with the big club.
    Fisher had one very bad outing in his 2nd game back from the Reds. (June 5)
    He also gave up a run in his 1st appearance back from the Reds.

    Code:
    Player	        IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	ERA
    Fisher (BS, 1)	0.2	2	3	3	1	0	2	3.72
    And yes, it's true I didn't post Joseph's low A numbers. I kinda figure he was placed in the wrong league then.
    Last edited by GOYA; 07-21-2010 at 02:47 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25