Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Overall though Sappelt is only at an .857 OPS. Guy has had a very good year, but it hasn't quite been dominant. Yet. Still a 6 weeks left to get to that point.
    it was only 19 games at High A. I'd say he's been fairly dominant.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    it was only 19 games at High A. I'd say he's been fairly dominant.
    But it was 19 pretty bad games with a sub .700 OPS. I can't call a guy with an .860 OPS fairly dominant. He has been good, maybe even very good.

a .905 OPS against tougher competition, and a larger sample size. And I read he's a good defender too. That is pretty dominant. Not Mez dominant, but he should be in the discussion for Reds minor league POTY.

a .905 OPS against tougher competition, and a larger sample size. And I read he's a good defender too. That is pretty dominant. Not Mez dominant, but he should be in the discussion for Reds minor league POTY.
    I dont know if anyone is disagreeing but there is also "of the year" on the award. I think you have to take in the bad time he had into the equation when you are handing out some hardware like that.

The player of the year is for that, the year. It isn't player of the year looking at your last stop.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The player of the year is for that, the year. It isn't player of the year looking at your last stop.
    Thanks for clearing that up. So if he finishes the year at AA with an OPS of .905+ he shouldn't be in the discussion because of 19 games. At the beginning of the year.

gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I dont know if anyone is disagreeing but there is also "of the year" on the award. I think you have to take in the bad time he had into the equation when you are handing out some hardware like that.
    see above. it was 19 games.

I'm not saying he should win the award. That should be Mesoraco. I'm saying he's in the conversation right now.

Thanks for clearing that up. So if he finishes the year at AA with an OPS of .905+ he shouldn't be in the discussion because of 19 games. At the beginning of the year.

gotcha.

see above. it was 19 games.
    Being in the discussion is fine, but based off his year he isnt really close to a couple other guys. Lets say at the end of the year his stats are through the roof, he will be in the discusion just as much as anyone, but yes those first 19 games cant be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Being in the discussion is fine, but based off his year he isnt really close to a couple other guys. Lets say at the end of the year his stats are through the roof, he will be in the discusion just as much as anyone, but yes those first 19 games cant be ignored.
    Say his stats are through the roof. He goes on a monster tear in August, pushing his OPS to well over 1.000+ wanna bet nobody in the Reds FO will give a whit about those 1st 19 games?

Say his stats are through the roof. He goes on a monster tear in August, pushing his OPS to well over 1.000+ wanna bet nobody in the Reds FO will give a whit about those 1st 19 games?
    That is the thing though, if he does that in August, it will probably push his season OPS over .900. In which case, he would have been dominant. But right now, he is sitting at.857 for the season.

TRF vs. Doug

Sappelt is like the anti-Stubbs
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Yes if his OPS is over 1.000 those first 19 games wont matter as much, but thats also just like if Mesoraco went into a slump and finished very poorly. The whole season worth of stats matter.

Resident PED Expert

So after such a solid season at the dish and in the field where does this place Sappelt in the order of prospects in the Reds system still considered rookies? Top 10 -15?

Chapman
    Wood
    Mesoraco
    Heisey
    Alonso
    Joseph
    Cozart
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Yorman
    Hamilton
    Duran
    Soto
    Sappelt

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    So after such a solid season at the dish and in the field where does this place Sappelt in the order of prospects in the Reds system still considered rookies? Top 10 -15?

Chapman
    Wood
    Mesoraco
    Heisey
    Alonso
    Joseph
    Cozart
    Francisco
    Frazier
    Yorman
    Hamilton
    Duran
    Soto
    Sappelt
    JMO but production doesn't necessarily equate to being a good prospect. I'd rather push guys ahead of him who have a better upside. Watching him play at Dayton he seemed like a poor mans Ryan Freel someday, IF he makes the proper adjustments. Poor arm, power is minimal (though decent for his size), needs to improve his approach at the plate for his talent to translate to the majors. Future backup CF type at best IMO. I'm thinking mid twenties as a ranking.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    JMO but production doesn't necessarily equate to being a good prospect. I'd rather push guys ahead of him who have a better upside. Watching him play at Dayton he seemed like a poor mans Ryan Freel someday, IF he makes the proper adjustments. Poor arm, power is minimal (though decent for his size), needs to improve his approach at the plate for his talent to translate to the majors. Future backup CF type at best IMO. I'm thinking mid twenties as a ranking.
    Not sure if you knew this (I didn't until this season), but Sappelt had an arm injury last season. Perhaps that explains some of the throwing issues.

Lets take a closer look. Yes, Merasco has a higher OPS, but only with the bases empty. With runners only Sappelt had a OPS of 1.111 versus Merrasco's .862, with runners in scoring position sappelt beats merrasco 1.042 versus Merasco's .621. Merrasco has six errors this year versus 0 for Sappelt.

The only guy who beats Sappelt's Southern league totals is Robinson Chirinos who also beats merrasco's AA totals in average and OPS. So Merasco may not even be the best catcher let alone the POY

Turn Off Ads?