Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

Re: Mesoraco Minor League POTY Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Lets take a closer look. Yes, Merasco has a higher OPS, but only with the bases empty. With runners only Sappelt had a OPS of 1.111 versus Merrasco's .862, with runners in scoring position sappelt beats merrasco 1.042 versus Merasco's .621. Merrasco has six errors this year versus 0 for Sappelt.

The only guy who beats Sappelt's Southern league totals is Robinson Chirinos who also beats merrasco's AA totals in average and OPS. So Merasco may not even be the best catcher let alone the POY
    Yea I'm just going to quote this and say "No"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lets take a closer look. Yes, Merasco has a higher OPS, but only with the bases empty. With runners only Sappelt had a OPS of 1.111 versus Merrasco's .862, with runners in scoring position sappelt beats merrasco 1.042 versus Merasco's .621. Merrasco has six errors this year versus 0 for Sappelt.

The only guy who beats Sappelt's Southern league totals is Robinson Chirinos who also beats merrasco's AA totals in average and OPS. So Merasco may not even be the best catcher let alone the POY
    Chirinos is also 26 years old.

Merasco may have had an OPS of .862 with runners on and another guy named Merrasco may have had an OPS of .621 with runners in scoring position, but what were Mesoraco's stats in these situations?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not sure if you knew this (I didn't until this season), but Sappelt had an arm injury last season. Perhaps that explains some of the throwing issues.
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Still I rank him mid twenties most likely.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Still I rank him mid twenties most likely.
    I will be seeing him soon. I am going to be paying attention to the arm. If it is average, he is a top 15 prospect for me as long as nothing else jumps out as a red flag. If its still the same weak arm I saw last year, then he is closer to 20.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I remember thinking Sappelt had a strong arm in college. I've heard reports of him having a weak arm, but I always doubted them. Had I known it was injury-related, I would've been more understanding of the claims.

I will be seeing him soon. I am going to be paying attention to the arm. If it is average, he is a top 15 prospect for me as long as nothing else jumps out as a red flag. If its still the same weak arm I saw last year, then he is closer to 20.
    That high huh, what do you think about his bat as far as a major league projection goes? Just my thinking .270/.310/.390/.700, if he improves his plate discipline and base stealing % I like him alot more, but watching him he seems like your classic hacker who is about as undisciplined in every way i.e. baserunning, hitting and fielding.

He can help a team and if he improves those areas he can help quite a bit but at 23 his developing those tools ever is worrisome at best. Where would you rank guys lower (levels wise) than him but with higher upside like I don't know Valor, Arias, Fellhauser etc.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

That high huh, what do you think about his bat as far as a major league projection goes? Just my thinking .270/.310/.390/.700, if he improves his plate discipline and base stealing % I like him alot more, but watching him he seems like your classic hacker who is about as undisciplined in every way i.e. baserunning, hitting and fielding.

He can help a team and if he improves those areas he can help quite a bit but at 23 his developing those tools ever is worrisome at best. Where would you rank guys lower (levels wise) than him but with higher upside like I don't know Valor, Arias, Fellhauser etc.
    He is and has been around 2-1 K-BB for his career. Not exactly a 'hacker'. Not sure where I would put Arias yet, need to talk to some people still about him. I am not so sure that Fellhauer has a higher upside than Sappelt simply because of the defense he brings. Valor, total wild card right now. Maybe back end of the 30's?

Can a player from the VSL be organizational POY? Ronald Torreyes is having a ridiculous season down there. After today's (07/22) game his slash line reads: .386/.464/.609/1.072. He has played 2B/3B/SS/LF. He has stolen 14 bases. He must be tough because he has been HBP 12 times. His LD% is a sick 31%.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Can a player from the VSL be organizational POY? Ronald Torreyes is having a ridiculous season down there. After today's (07/22) game his slash line reads: .386/.464/.609/1.072. He has played 2B/3B/SS/LF. He has stolen 14 bases. He must be tough because he has been HBP 12 times. His LD% is a sick 31%.
    A boy who is a man among boys. I saw that LD% last night and was amazed. He has some zip in that swing for certain. His power numbers could jump off the page once he gets to the US and develops a better diet and workout regimen.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

He is and has been around 2-1 K-BB for his career. Not exactly a 'hacker'. Not sure where I would put Arias yet, need to talk to some people still about him. I am not so sure that Fellhauer has a higher upside than Sappelt simply because of the defense he brings. Valor, total wild card right now. Maybe back end of the 30's?
    I don't think K/BB is necessarily a good indication of whether or not one is a hacker it just proves he isn't a hacker with poor contact skills, neither is Willy Taveras. A better indicator is BB% and Sappelt while not completely inept (at the minor league level mind you) isn't much of a walker. He is walking at somewhere around 6.5% of the time, not Francisco bad but not great either. And unless he changes something that number should decrease as he moves forward. At the major league level we're talking maybe 30-40 BB's a season at best, not at all good especially for a guy who hopes to be a leadoff type.

--Woody Hayes

I don't think K/BB is necessarily a good indication of whether or not one is a hacker it just proves he isn't a hacker with poor contact skills, neither is Willy Taveras. A better indicator is BB% and Sappelt while not completely inept (at the minor league level mind you) isn't much of a walker. He is walking at somewhere around 6.5% of the time, not Francisco bad but not great either. And unless he changes something that number should decrease as he moves forward. At the major league level we're talking maybe 30-40 BB's a season at best, not at all good especially for a guy who hopes to be a leadoff type.
    30-40 walks is not terrible for a guy who makes a lot of contact though. Sure, I want a guy who walks 80 times and can lead off.... but those guys are very rare, because most guys who walk that much hit in the middle of lineups. Sappelt's value is going to be tied mostly to his defense. The fact that there is a chance he can bring some offensive value to the table as well is just icing on the cake. Basically, he is like a Paul Janish (if his arm is better than it was last year while he was hurt) but with a bat that might play. There is pretty good value there.

Give me a break. I agree that K-BB may be valid, but the Reds' outfielders haven't been exactly stellar in that catagory this year

Stubbs 99 K's, 31 BB over 3-1
    Gomes 76 K's 20 BB nearly 4-1
    Bruce 90 K's 37 BB's over 2-1
    Heisey 20 K's 10 BB's 2-1
    Dickerson 19 K's 1 BB's 19-1

Totals 305 K's 80 BB's

Even with out Dickerson the ratio is 3-1

What do you think were planning to do with Mesoraco and Grandal? I think Grandal is just a trading and Mesoraco will be the future C. It would be nice to have 2 great catchers in the future but it would be way to expensive

With Brown being called up by the Phillies, do you think he loses some votes as Minor League Player of the Year? His numbers will stay the same while others continue to pile on.

Turn Off Ads?