Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce and Stubbs

Bruce and Stubbs

Both are a joy to watch in the outfield. Offensively, Bruce is reputed to have the higher upside. Probably right, but so far this year the comparison is interesting.

OPS - Bruce .760, Stubbs .753.
    OBP - Bruce .329, Stubbs .322.
    SLG - Both at .431
    BA - Bruce .257, Stubbs .251.
    HR - Stubbs 13, Bruce 10.
    Doubles - Bruce 21, Stubbs 9.
    SB - Stubbs 18, Bruce 5.
    RBI - Stubbs 48, Bruce 37.
    Runs - Both at 51.
    K/BB - Bruce 89/37. Stubbs 95/31.

Bruce has 339 official at bats, Stubbs has 311.

I note the RBI difference, which favors Stubbs, and the Doubles difference, which favors Bruce. I think this year the two are pretty close offensively.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce and Stubbs

Wow I thought this would be the other way around. Stubbs with more doubles and Bruce with more homers and RBI.
    Most Vottomatic Player

So, imo, the one to be most concerned about here, looking at this, is Bruce. Stubbs, if he can learn to make more contact, is only going to get better at the plate, not worse. Bruce, on the other hand...we've been waiting 2 years now for him to "make the next jump" and it's just not happening. I am officially concerned. Yes, his defense is stellar and has def. helped the Reds this season, but his bat just is NOT improving.

I think Stubbs is near his peak OPS for the year (meaning I don't think it will be higher by year end), and I think Bruce is near his floor in OPS for the year (meaning I think he will finish much higher). These things cycle. Bruce is super cold right now, and Stubbs is about as hot as he gets.

Just wish Fowler didn't rob Bruce of that home run. I wonder what that could have done for his confidence.

Bruce's OBP is up from .303 last year to .329 this year. His doubles are up too.

His homers are way down, from 22 to 10 (similar number of at bats, due to last year's injury). His SLG is down from .470 to .431.

So Bruce is getting on base some more, but at the expense of power.

I'm really not worried about either one of them. Put them in the lineup (pretty much) every day, enjoy watching the other team's doubles go to die in the outfield, and tell them to relax, no one is going to take their jobs. Keep coaching them, of course, but be glad you have these two excellent athletes on the team.

These two guys are going to be importants parts of a nice stretch of several years where the Reds are a team to beat in the NL.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

If Bruce doesn't overhaul his swing I doubt very much he hits that "Larry Walker" ceiling..

Since mid April his swing has became the longest on the team and he hasn't adjusted at all.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Bruce has been abhorrent at the plate this year. He's one of my favorite Reds of all time already; and it's really upsetting to me to watch his lack of adjustments and regression as a big league hitter and young player at the plate.

I don't have statistics to back this up, I'm going with what I see on a nightly basis; I think he is honestly a guy who doubts his own abilities to a severe degree. I've heard this from people who are close to Jay, that he sometimes in his head wonders if he belongs and such a lot more then most guys who are at the big league level. Please take that information for what it's worth; that said I do think there is some truth to it as I have watched him since I was told that in May of last season.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bruce's OBP is up from .303 last year to .329 this year. His doubles are up too.

His homers are way down, from 22 to 10 (similar number of at bats, due to last year's injury). His SLG is down from .470 to .431.

So Bruce is getting on base some more, but at the expense of power.
    At the same time.... and this is what makes Bruce so confusing to me; is he is literally so close.

You look at all those doubles he has and that is usually evidence of a player whose power numbers are about to jump with a slight adjustment. Just like the other night against Colorado and Dexter Fowler took a home run away; I've seen Jay hit about 12 balls that could have easily been home runs that would up on the base of the wall, taken away, or off the wall.

The guy really is snake-bitten in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    At the same time.... and this is what makes Bruce so confusing to me; is he is literally so close.

You look at all those doubles he has and that is usually evidence of a player whose power numbers are about to jump with a slight adjustment. Just like the other night against Colorado and Dexter Fowler took a home run away; I've seen Jay hit about 12 balls that could have easily been home runs that would up on the base of the wall, taken away, or off the wall.

The guy really is snake-bitten in that regard.
    Then maybe he hasn't been quite as "abhorrent" as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Then maybe he hasn't been quite as "abhorrent" as you think.
    At least for July (ever since the swing that beat Roy Halladay) he has been exactly that. And close only counts in horse shoes.

Many outside of our hardcore fan base will look at the numbers at the end of the year and if he's at 16 home runs and 50 RBI, it won't matter how many 'almost' home runs he hit. I'm sure you know what I'm saying.

At least for July (ever since the swing that beat Roy Halladay) he has been exactly that. And close only counts in horse shoes.

Many outside of our hardcore fan base will look at the numbers at the end of the year and if he's at 16 home runs and 50 RBI, it won't matter how many 'almost' home runs he hit. I'm sure you know what I'm saying.
    That's fine with me. I care about production, not perception. HR (in isolation) and RBI don't tell us much about how a batter performed over the course of a season. There's a lot more to production that the stuff that's on the back of a 1986 Donruss card.

If Bruce ends the year with a .400 OBP and a .450 SLG to go along with those 16 HR and 50 RBI, I'd be ecstatic. I'd also be pretty happy with .350 and .450 year. That's pretty good, especially considering his age and defensive ability.

Bruce slumps just like every other hitter in the history of baseball.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And the opinion of those fans will affect what?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He's just unlucky.

Bruce, thy name is Schleprock.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And the opinion of those fans will affect what?
    The measurement of vitriol aimed at a player for not being what they already anoited him to be?

Turn Off Ads?