Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Moves - Reds & Cards

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Potential Moves - Reds & Cards

It sure looks like this is going to be a fight to the finish between these two teams....we're obviously evenly matched.

The difference could very well come down to the moves the two teams make.

Not that it means much, but the Cards are "rumored" to be involved with many more high-leverage players than the Reds.

Our starting pitching looks good now...actually, very good with Volquez back in the fold. We have more starters than slots. The Cards are getting two starters back soon and they're not pitching badly as is. However, they are rumored to be heavily involved with both Dan Haren and Jake Westbrook. I would cringe if they acquired Haren, but wouldn't blink an eye if they grabbed Westbrook. However, Westbrook would be a great fit for the Reds if we needed a starter - sinkerballers do well at GABP.

We need bullpen help, as do they. Sorry, but Masset, Ondrasek, Bray and Herrera do not give me much confidence. We're both looking at Isringhausen, but a rational person would have to give them the edge as he pitched there before. We have several prospects we could move for a middle reliever. I hope we make a move there. BTW - I know many Reds fans are running Micah Owings up the flagpole because of last night's outing. It's simply not possible to be sharp when you only pitch every two weeks. Get the guy some frequent activity and you'll see a marked improvement.

Positional needs....Cards don't really have many, especially with the emergence of Jay and Craig. Perhaps a power-hitting OF, but that would be it, IMO. As for the Reds, I'd like to see us grab a good utility-style IF that could supplant Cairo. Rolen is who Rolen is - he will be injured eventually and I don't like the idea of Janish/Cairo at 3rd while he recovers. Many will say we need a better SS but I am higher on Cabrera than most. I don't see a need there, especially with Janish already on the roster. Can't see an upgrade coming at C with Hernandigan and Corky. I could see us making a move to acquire a stud OF with Stubbs being a centerpiece in the deal. Defensively, we have an awesome OF but offensively, it is simply league-average. Don't think a move is coming there but would not be shocked.

There it is...my summation, anyway. I think the Cards will make a major move - possibly for Haren - and I think we'll probably grab a bullpen arm and otherwise stand pat. Considering we're already a 1/2 game behind them, that's not encouraging. However, they're playing out of their minds right now and the other shoe has to be close to dropping.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Re: Potential Moves - Reds & Cards

I don't think either team makes a move because we have the easiest schedule, and they have the second easiest schedule remaining this year. If either of us were to make a move it wouldn't be to make the playoffs, but to advance in the playoffs. In that case, I think that neither team has a "need" that can be fixed via trade this year. Unless they wanted to trade for Oswald. They can have him, he makes too much money. Our bullpen will be fixed in house, if not now, in September. What we need is for this offense to continue putting up great numbers, Rolen, BP, Votto, and Gomes stay healthy, and our young starters to continue to mature. We will contend for more than just year, don't blow the farm on a relief pitcher when we have viable options in house.

Now I was all about trading for Lee, but that was a significant upgrade that did not break the bank. Lets ride this storm, see what Izzy, and Springer do, and maybe, just maybe, make the playoffs, and advance.

I see both teams standing pat because of the poor division, the dominance that both these teams hold over this division, and the huge amount of games remaining against this division. As long as we continue to dominate the teams we are supposed to, and compete against the better teams.

In other words, Both the Reds and Cards make the playoffs.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Stats courtesy of Lance's blog...

On Apri 20 Nick Masset retired one batter and allowed four earned runs vs LA.
    He ERA after that game climbed to 14.14 (8 games, 7.2 innings, 11 earned run)
    Since April 20 his ERA is 3.03........40 games, 35.2 innings, 12 earned runs
    Since May 3 his ERA is 2.56...35 games, 31.2 innings, 9 earned runs
    Since June 16 his ERA is 0.61....14 games, 14.2 innings, 1 earned run
    He allowed 11 earned runs in his first 8 appearances (14.14)
    He has allowed 12 earned runs in his last 40 appearances (3.03)

Cairo:
    Since May 19: 33 games played in with 19 starts in next 57 games
    31 for 89 .348/.404/.506/.910 with 3 HR, 19 RBI

I'm not really worried about the production from either of those guys. And the rest of the bullpen, outside of last night, has been really good over the past 1.5 months. Our team ERA over the past month is one of the tops in the majors. The area where the Reds struggle is offensive production from the outfield. Bruce, Stubbs, and Gomes are inconsitent. However, Bruce and Stubbs are not going to be traded (and I certainly don't want them to be). Unless Jocketty has an opportunity he can't turn down, like a trade for Haren and Drew, I think the Reds should for the most part stay where they are. With the remaining schedule, they should at least win the Wild Card with the team as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Stats courtesy of Lance's blog...

On Apri 20 Nick Masset retired one batter and allowed four earned runs vs LA.
    He ERA after that game climbed to 14.14 (8 games, 7.2 innings, 11 earned run)
    Since April 20 his ERA is 3.03........40 games, 35.2 innings, 12 earned runs
    Since May 3 his ERA is 2.56...35 games, 31.2 innings, 9 earned runs
    Since June 16 his ERA is 0.61....14 games, 14.2 innings, 1 earned run
    He allowed 11 earned runs in his first 8 appearances (14.14)
    He has allowed 12 earned runs in his last 40 appearances (3.03)

Cairo:
    Since May 19: 33 games played in with 19 starts in next 57 games
    31 for 89 .348/.404/.506/.910 with 3 HR, 19 RBI

I'm not really worried about the production from either of those guys. And the rest of the bullpen, outside of last night, has been really good over the past 1.5 months. Our team ERA over the past month is one of the tops in the majors. The area where the Reds struggle is offensive production from the outfield. Bruce, Stubbs, and Gomes are inconsitent. However, Bruce and Stubbs are not going to be traded (and I certainly don't want them to be). Unless Jocketty has an opportunity he can't turn down, like a trade for Haren and Drew, I think the Reds should for the most part stay where they are. With the remaining schedule, they should at least win the Wild Card with the team as is.
    Why does everyone love Stephen Drew so much? Had he been drafted in the 14th round, no one would give a crap about him.

I don't love Stephen Drew, but he would be a huge upgrade over Cabrera. his OPS is .750, and he plays good defense. I wouldn't overpay for him, but if a deal materializes, I would be thrilled to see him starting over Cabrera.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    We need bullpen help, as do they. Sorry, but Masset, Ondrasek, Bray and Herrera do not give me much confidence. .
    I would agree with Masset and Herrera is back in AAA, but Ondrasek has been down right "nasty" since his recall from AAA and I see big things for him the rest of the season. As for Bray, my only concern is health, because the boy when healthy can plain out bring it.

Why does everyone love Stephen Drew so much? Had he been drafted in the 14th round, no one would give a crap about him.

He's younger and better then what we have and the position of SS offer very little in trade possibilities...

Id give a crap because hes been pretty good his whole career.

All I know is that more players mean more double switches and double switches are the BOMB!!!

Why are you unsure about Masset? He's been real good since April. Since May 3 his ERA is 2.56...35 games, 31.2 innings, 9 earned runs. That's very good. He's been just as good as Ondrusek recently

Nick Masset has given up one run in his last 14 appearances. An ERA of 0.61. At the moment Nick Masset is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Nick Masset has given up one run in his last 14 appearances. An ERA of 0.61. At the moment Nick Masset is not the problem.
    Are you quite sure he won't be again? Do you not agree that we need bully help?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I would agree with Masset and Herrera is back in AAA, but Ondrasek has been down right "nasty" since his recall from AAA and I see big things for him the rest of the season. As for Bray, my only concern is health, because the boy when healthy can plain out bring it.
    I know Danny Ray is in Triple A (that rhymes), but my worry is that he will be the next fix if Ondrasek or Bray implode. DRH has been figured out by the league and is no longer a viable option.

I know Danny Ray is in Triple A (that rhymes), but my worry is that he will be the next fix if Ondrasek or Bray implode. DRH has been figured out by the league and is no longer a viable option.
    How are you sure of that?

What about the Reds looking into getting Miguel T. from the O's as a backup at 3rd while Rolen is on the DL and a backup infielder...

Turn Off Ads?