Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 WVU Football

Re: 2010 WVU Football

Geez you can tell there are a lot of Reds fan that are WVU supporters, look at all those damn empty seats in the stadium, just like GABP that is embarassing. The only reason I didn't go yesterday was I had to work. :thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Geez you can tell there are a lot of Reds fan that are WVU supporters, look at all those damn empty seats in the stadium, just like GABP that is embarassing. The only reason I didn't go yesterday was I had to work. :thumbdown
    I was shocked by the empty seats. I grew up in WV and, even though I'm a Herd guy, attended plenty of games in Morgantown. I can't believe how poor the attendance was; it has not been like that in the past.

Especially shocking for a Maryland game. I thought that was a big rival?

If the empty seats thing's coming from the picture with the band on the field, that was pre-game. Those seats almost all filled up when the game started.

Attendance was 60,122. Seating capacity is officially 60,000.
    Last edited by tixe; 09-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Attendance was not poor at all yesterday. Typical student section exit after halftime, but every other seat was filled.

Friedgen thought there were plenty of fans there as well. There was a fun series toward the end of the first half where the crowd noise bothered Maryland to the point that a series of false start and delay of game penalties backed them up almost to the goal line.

The fans in the section I was sitting in were wild and loud, mostly in a good way.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Tixe,

I think you are referring to their first drive. That was one of the coolest experiences I've had at MF recently. The crowd absolutely would not allow the offense to get a snap off. It was incredible. I haven't heard the stadium that loud since White's run with 2 minutes left vs. UL in 2007.

It may be; my brain's scrambled. That makes sense when I think about it, with WVU scoring quickly to open the game, then holding Maryland and scoring again.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    If the empty seats thing's coming from the picture with the band on the field, that was pre-game. Those seats almost all filled up when the game started.

Attendance was 60,122. Seating capacity is officially 60,000.
    That makes sense. It kind of surprises me though, as there was a time when the joint was packed and rockin' during the band's pregame.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    as there was a time when the joint was packed and rockin' during the band's pregame.
    Well 3 major things happened that changed the atmosphere...

1. Virginia Tech is no longer on our schedule...I still love going to a Mountaineer game on Saturday in Mo-Town but trust me the atomsphere was at its finest when the Hokies were in town. I guess I just miss the old Big East, especially that Virginia Tech rivalry, that was our best rivalry hands down!

2. They don't sell beer there anymore, which I'm pretty sure they don't sell beer at ANY college football game anymore.

3. Coach Good Golly Gee Barney Fiffe Stewart wants us to clean up our image and be respectable "lads." Granted that is great for the real world but at Mountaineer Field I'm one of those fans that takes great pride in being an sob to the opposing team (especially a rival)! It adds to the luster and lore of Mountaineer Field being a hostile environment where people hate coming to, except WVU fans of course!

2. They don't sell beer there anymore, which I'm pretty sure they don't sell beer at ANY college football game anymore.
    UC sells beer at Nippert and I know from this past weekend that Bowling Green sells beer at Doyt Perry. Xavier sells beer at home hoops games. It is probably more common than you think to sell beer in a college stadium.

I agree with your other points. As a Herd fan I hate playing in Morgantown. Your fans give the Eers a tremendous homefield advantage.

Well 3 major things happened that changed the atmosphere...

3. Coach Good Golly Gee Barney Fiffe Stewart wants us to clean up our image and be respectable "lads." Granted that is great for the real world but at Mountaineer Field I'm one of those fans that takes great pride in being an sob to the opposing team (especially a rival)! It adds to the luster and lore of Mountaineer Field being a hostile environment where people hate coming to, except WVU fans of course!
    This is my main contention with WVU fans. Don't get me wrong I have met some good knowledgable fans while living in Parkersburg, and even on this board. The older fans get it, but the younger fans, especially the current students have made WVU what it is. I think the Rich Rodriguez era has given WVU fans a general sense of cockiness when the closest they have ever came to a NCAA title game was sniffed out the last week of the season by Pitt.

My girlfriends sister currently attends WVU. I went over for dinner one night and her dad brought up how WVU was rated having the rudest fans in the Big East. Her response was "At least we are number one at something!".

The Coliseum and Milan Puskar can both be intimidating venues to play without acting like a drunken redneck. Places like Ohio and Michigan Stadiums, Rupp Arena, and Cameron Indoor are intimidating places to play without the fans acting the way they do in Morgantown.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    UC sells beer at Nippert and I know from this past weekend that Bowling Green sells beer at Doyt Perry. Xavier sells beer at home hoops games. It is probably more common than you think to sell beer in a college stadium.
    In the Big East, UC, Louisville, Syracuse, UConn and USF all sell beer at the games. I assume Pitt does as well since they play at Heinz Field, but I've never been to a Pitt game. And UC's and Syracuse's stadiums are right in the heart of campus, so it's not completely an on-campus vs. off-campus stadium issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This is my main contention with WVU fans.

The Coliseum and Milan Puskar can both be intimidating venues to play without acting like a drunken redneck. Places like Ohio and Michigan Stadiums, Rupp Arena, and Cameron Indoor are intimidating places to play without the fans acting the way they do in Morgantown.
    I appreciate your kind words sir! (No sarcasm)

Again I take pride in being a rude fan on gamedays in Morgantown. Yes the Rich Rod era gave us a great sense of confidence. But I have also been a fan since the Nehlan era. 2 legit shots at National titles in a 5 season span is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Also I think you should revise your NCAA history. WVU has played in an NCAA title game, 89 Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame, and also for a share of the title in the 94 Sugar Bowl.

I appreciate your kind words sir! (No sarcasm)

Again I take pride in being a rude fan on gamedays in Morgantown. Yes the Rich Rod era gave us a great sense of confidence. But I have also been a fan since the Nehlan era. 2 legit shots at National titles in a 5 season span is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Also I think you should revise your NCAA history. WVU has played in an NCAA title game, 89 Fiesta Bowl vs. Notre Dame, and also for a share of the title in the 94 Sugar Bowl.
    Apologize for the lapse. I should mention I wasn't very old during the Nehlen years, so that era is a bit fuzzy.

It wouldn't surprise me if something ever happened at a WVU game in which the fans caused a forfeit. To be honest, it should have happened during the Pitt game last year when the fan threw a penny and hit Tom Herrion (who ironically is now the coach at Marshall) in the eye after Huggins told the fans they were being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?