Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2010 WVU Football

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: 2010 WVU Football

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Very nice, enjoy the game. Your g/f is a keeper, I can tell .
    Even better, 50 yard line eight rows back.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Very nice, enjoy the game. Your g/f is a keeper, I can tell .
    Thats funny, it reminds me of how I knew my wife was a keeper. I was a dating a psycho-hose-beast that I wanted to dump and then my wife came along and found the perfect way to steal my heart. She said "I heard you were a Reds fan and I'll drive us to Cincinnati, pay for the hotel room, and take you to 2 Reds games!" I had to ask who is your favorite team, in baseball it was the Reds, in college football it was WVU, and her favorite style of music was 80s rock, I said you are my dream woman and I will marry you, and I did!

Heard a very interesting rumor that Pitt could be looking at Rodriguez if the "Michigan Man" is dumped in Ann Arbor if they fire Wanndstedt.

That would be a guaranteed sell-out and probably overall destruction of Milan-Puskar stadium.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Horrible year for WVU, co-Big East Champs with 2 other teams, more important 3rd year in a row on the outside looking in to the BCS, this sucks.

Fire Bill Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Horrible year for WVU, co-Big East Champs with 2 other teams, more important 3rd year in a row on the outside looking in to the BCS, this sucks.

Fire Bill Stewart.
    To be completely honest, with the quality of the Big East this year, better UConn gets embarrassed in a BCS bowl game than WVU.

Thoughts on WVU after getting to watch them live and in person:

1. I can see why fans are critical of Jeff Mullen and the offensive playcalling. The final score was 35-14 but could have and should have been more. You can't blame the offensive coordinator for the mistakes made in the red zone but some of the calls were pretty questionable.

2. Geno Smith is the type of QB who is going to make you say "Wow that was a really great play" or "Wow that was really dumb". At the same time, refer back to point 1 and realize that Geno is a sophomore and hopefully will only get better.

3. Noel Devine is not the player he was when he first came to WVU. He has lost that initial explosiveness that has carried them in the past and they will need it come the bowl game.

4. Tavon is lightning in a bottle and would be even better utilized next season when Noel is gone.

5. Serious question that I thought during the game: WVU has a lot of talent coming from Florida and that pipeline is pretty well known. I realize Doc Holliday had a lot to do with that, but still, how would you go about recruiting players (especially five star recruits) from the sunshine state away from home to play in Morgantown with bitter weather and the quality of the Florida schools being a factor?

6. Rutgers probably isn't the best example, but outside of WVU, defense really isn't a trademark for the Big East. With how undersized a lot of WVU's players are, the specialty is to set up blocking and set up for big gains and create as much space for Sanders/Austin/Devine to run as possible. If a team in the Big East ever adapts and starts to implement a defense that focuses on laying vicious hits, WVU is going to run into some problems.

Overall, it was a good experience from where I was sitting.

Pretty spot on WV.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    To be completely honest, with the quality of the Big East this year, better UConn gets embarrassed in a BCS bowl game than WVU.
    I think WV's defense is good enough that they won't get "embarrassed" in a BCS bowl game. Add in the fact that the Orange would have taken WV over Stanford, and I think it is safe to conclude that WV could absolutely beat VT. Not saying they would, but they certainly have at minimum a 40% chance of winning that game.

1. I can see why fans are critical of Jeff Mullen and the offensive playcalling. The final score was 35-14 but could have and should have been more. You can't blame the offensive coordinator for the mistakes made in the red zone but some of the calls were pretty questionable.
    I can get behind a scenario where Stewart stays, but I can't support bringing Mullen back. #2 defense in the country, and we lose 2 Big East games in this awful conference? Unforgiveable. Makes me sick to my stomach. Every team can pretty much say this, but WVU lost 3 games by a total of 14 points. In the games they lost, they gave up 20, 19, and 16 points. Ugh.

2. Geno Smith is the type of QB who is going to make you say "Wow that was a really great play" or "Wow that was really dumb". At the same time, refer back to point 1 and realize that Geno is a sophomore and hopefully will only get better.
    Throws a beautiful deep ball, is pretty accurate, rarely tries to squeeze balls in. All plusses. His pocket presence is pretty poor in my opinion. Takes way too many bad sacks on plays where he actually has decent protection. Needs to learn to move around a bit while still looking downfield.

3. Noel Devine is not the player he was when he first came to WVU. He has lost that initial explosiveness that has carried them in the past and they will need it come the bowl game.
    Truly a sad sight to see. Guy has done everything right for 4 years, and gets hurt on a late hit in Baton Rouge. It's to the point where I'd rather see Alston carry the ball than Devine. Guy just does not have his jump cut anymore. Still a top 5 running back all time at WVU. Just never lived up to his amazingly high potential.

4. Tavon is lightning in a bottle and would be even better utilized next season when Noel is gone.
    I want this guy at RB still. He's so good with the ball in his hands. He should be first team all Big East this year, IMO, and offensive MVP for WVU. He's the guy that makes the offense go.

5. Serious question that I thought during the game: WVU has a lot of talent coming from Florida and that pipeline is pretty well known. I realize Doc Holliday had a lot to do with that, but still, how would you go about recruiting players (especially five star recruits) from the sunshine state away from home to play in Morgantown with bitter weather and the quality of the Florida schools being a factor?
    WVU has never really pulled the 5 stars from Fl (aside from Noel Devine), or from anywhere for that matter. They've done well with the 3 stars, and occasional 4 stars (Geno). I have no idea how Holliday leaving will impact that.

6. Rutgers probably isn't the best example, but outside of WVU, defense really isn't a trademark for the Big East. With how undersized a lot of WVU's players are, the specialty is to set up blocking and set up for big gains and create as much space for Sanders/Austin/Devine to run as possible. If a team in the Big East ever adapts and starts to implement a defense that focuses on laying vicious hits, WVU is going to run into some problems.
    Not sure I understand this one, but WVU is in trouble if they don't start recruiting O-linemen better.

Overall, it was a good experience from where I was sitting.
    Marry her

Not sure I understand this one, but WVU is in trouble if they don't start recruiting O-linemen better.
    It's not a knock on WV, just moreso the Big East in general. Of all the teams in the Big East, WVU is really the only team I have seen with a measurable defense. Nobody else really comes close.

Point being, WVU is extremely undersized, especially at tailback. The gameplan is to create as much space as possible and hope that Austin, Devine, Sanders, etc. can get loose and create. If teams from the Big East ever adapt and brings in players who can deliver vicious NFL caliber hits, I could see fumbles and even injuries piling up. That's why former WVU players most recently haven't translated well over in the pro's, specifically White and Slaton.

Other thoughts, don't know how he projects, but I would be happy if the Bengals used a mid round pick on JT Thomas. He seems like somebody who could translate over very well to a NFL defense.

On a side note, Kentucky is playing Pitt in the BBVA Compass Bowl and any WVU support would be welcome. I can't say im looking forward to the game though, as UK hasn't stopped the run all year and Pitt has two quality backs that can run the ball. Randall Cobb vs Jon Baldwin will be fun to watch though.

Let the Rich Rod to Pitt rumors begin:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5896191

Another name I'll throw into the mix who should be considered is Marvin Lewis. Was an assistant at Pitt and is also from the area. I don't think Bengals fans would mind.
    Last edited by WVRed; 12-07-2010 at 09:55 PM.

I can't see Pitt boosters getting behind a Rodriguez hiring. If that happened, my head might explode. I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Pitt more than I do.

The Saban to WVU rumors are running rampant on the interwebs right now. I believe about .01% of it, but some people that are somewhat in the know are running wild with excitement right now.

I can't see Pitt boosters getting behind a Rodriguez hiring. If that happened, my head might explode. I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Pitt more than I do.

The Saban to WVU rumors are running rampant on the interwebs right now. I believe about .01% of it, but some people that are somewhat in the know are running wild with excitement right now.
    I've heard other names besides Rodriguez, but he is probably the most interesting. Milan Puskar Stadium might burn to the ground next November if that happened. I'd love to see Marvin Lewis at Pitt though, just to see what he could do.

Saw the Saban rumors and can't really believe it either. Jeff Mullen should go but Stewart has probably bought himself another year. I wouldn't count on Saban being as loyal as Bob Huggins though. Just seems like Saban isn't happy unless hes constantly moving to a different location and I could see the NFL becoming appealing again.

No way is Saban going back to the NFL. He ended that fascination flaking out like he did.

Alabama is the absolute top of the food chain in college football. No way he would leave for WVU, besides which Bama would meet or exceed any offer WVU could make.

I actually see Saban staying at Alabama for a long time. There is no bigger/better job in college football and the NFL is not enamored with him any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    No way is Saban going back to the NFL. He ended that fascination flaking out like he did.

Alabama is the absolute top of the food chain in college football. No way he would leave for WVU, besides which Bama would meet or exceed any offer WVU could make.

I actually see Saban staying at Alabama for a long time. There is no bigger/better job in college football and the NFL is not enamored with him any longer.
    The only even somewhat realistic reason Saban would go to WVU is that he is from WV. Other than that, I agree, there is no reason to leave Bama, ever.

Point is Saban is a job hopper. HB summed up why WVU would be an option for Saban, but I don't see it happening either.

The only way I could see Saban leaving is if he can't deal with the pressure of winning every single year. Tide football is the equivalent of Kentucky basketball in terms of fan support and expectations. Alabama was pretty much a lock for the national championship again but lost three games this season. Think Saban isn't feeling some heat from that?

Do WV fans care more about hoops or football? I'm guessing football?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Do WV fans care more about hoops or football? I'm guessing football?
    Football for sure. However, I'm much more enthusiastic about our future in basketball under Huggins than I am football with Stewart.

Turn Off Ads?