Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2010 WVU Football

Re: 2010 WVU Football

I've defended Stew before as a good man, but not so sure I can I do that now. This is just..... Wow.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10350/1111266-100.stm

According to the same source, Stewart did not break the news to Mullen and Johnson, even though Holgorsen, during their meeting in Houston, told Stewart and Luck that, under no circumstances, would he keep Mullen or Johnson on staff.

Johnson only found out he would be terminated at the end of this season --- which ends following a Dec. 28 bowl game --- after he took the initiative to call Luck, who is his former teammate at West Virginia, on Wednesday.

In the interim, between the time Stewart first found out that Johnson was going to be let go, Johnson passed up two coaching opportunities that were extended to him --- one as a Division II head coach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I've defended Stew before as a good man, but not so sure I can I do that now. This is just..... Wow.

I have zero sympathy for the goofy old bastard, he nearly ruined our program, luckily (pun intended!) someone fixed the leak before the ship sank!

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Not really questioning the article, but there is so much going around right now its hard to tell what to really believe.

I just saw a thread on BGN that made me laugh. "I have forgiven Rich Rodriguez because he has treated us no worse than WVU has treated Bill Stewart".
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not really questioning the article, but there is so much going around right now its hard to tell what to really believe.

I just saw a thread on BGN that made me laugh. "I have forgiven Rich Rodriguez because he has treated us no worse than WVU has treated Bill Stewart".
    Saw that one too. No one has ever accused WVU fans of being smart. Ever.

Saw that one too. No one has ever accused WVU fans of being smart. Ever.
    MSNBC had a pretty scathing article about Oliver Luck's handling of this. I can't say I disagree with any of it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-of-lucks-bus/

At a press conference held early Thursday afternoon, athletic director Oliver Luck met with the media to further explain the direction the WVU football program has taken. As it pertained to Stewart, Luck started out by praising the coach…

“Let me thank Bill Stewart for what he is doing for West Virginia University, for the football program. He took over during a very challenging time back in 2007, and acted as the consummate professional, calmed the waters and has done a marvelous job leading our team. I think because of his professionalism, I have all the confidence in the world that our transition year will work very smoothly. I look forward to having two great coordinators, Coach Dana Holgorsen and Coach Jeff Casteel, led by a great West Virginian and a great person, Coach Bill Stewart. I’m very much excited about the 2011 season and beyond because I think we will have one exciting brand of football here at Mountaineer filed beginning in 2011.”

…before burying him underneath the axles of a Greyhound.

“I didn’t believe we had an opportunity to win a national championship with the direction of the program [under Stewart]. At the end of the day, results matter. And we weren’t getting the results. I want our Mountaineer program and expect us to compete at the highest levels.

“Our season ticket base has declined from Stewart’s first year to the present time. We’ve had only two crowds since 2004 under 50,000 and both of those took place in the last couple of years. That to me is an indication that our fans aren’t satisfied with the product, and that factors in as well.”

Yikes.

I absolutely respect Luck being forthright and brutally honest, and there is certainly more than a kernel or two of truth to the assessment, but there had to be a more tactful way to frame that part of the discussion. A West Virginia native, the folksy and likable Stewart has given his heart and soul to the football program over the past ten years; he certainly deserves better treatment as he’s being unceremoniously pushed out the door.
    I hope for Oliver Luck's sake that Holgorsen works out, because he has likely staked his entire career on this hire with the way he has handled Stewart.

On a side note, some of the same WVU fans I know wanted no part of Gus Malzahn because of what is going on with Cam Newton (on that much we agree). I would be somewhat leary of Holgorsen's background though, given who he has worked for (Mike Leach, Hal Mumme).

I see two extremes, Holgorsen returning WVU to greatness, or having them on probation by the end of the decade.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Report: Bill Stewart helped recruit Dana Holgorsen to WVU
    One of the most bizarre coaching changes of the 2010 season has taken another interesting twist.

Contrary to the original belief that West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck blindsided coach Bill Stewart with the news that Stewart would be done coaching the Mountaineers after 2011, it’s now been confirmed that not only did Stewart know of his release for a month, but that he helped recruit his successor, Oklahoma State OC Dana Holgorsen.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...gorsen-to-wvu/

West Virginia made its bed and now they're lying in it.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make emotional hires. After RR dumped WVU, WVU should've waited a few days to collect themselves, and then sit down and think about hiring someone new. I remember vividly telling WVU fans that they'd really regret the hiring of Mr. Stewart. Great, WVU won a BCS bowl game. Big deal. And now your fanbase and administration are so emotionally scarred by the loss of RR, that you feel vindicated to hire an 80-year-old man as your coach?

Emotional hires at IU with Bill Lynch and Miami (Fl) Larry Coker both turned those programs upside down or in opposite directions they were going. Both never should have been made and neither should WVU hiring Stewart.

Looks like the WVU-Maryland series could take an interesting turn. Ralph Friedgen is on his way out (about three years too late) and Maryland is supposedly looking to hire Mike Leach, mentor to Dana Holgorsen.

Im not a fan at all of WVU, but I do like Stew. He is being a lot nicer man about the situation than I would be about it. 9-3 and they are running off their coach. He is in a tough situation, because if they fire him with reason, they dont owe him the 2 million from his contract.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    Im not a fan at all of WVU, but I do like Stew. He is being a lot nicer man about the situation than I would be about it. 9-3 and they are running off their coach. He is in a tough situation, because if they fire him with reason, they dont owe him the 2 million from his contract.
    Not that I made a difference or that my voice matters but verbally I would like to take a 0.1 percent inclusion in the people that ran off Stewart, agreed he is a very fine man, but he isn't going to take us where we want to go, the BCS Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    West Virginia made its bed and now they're lying in it.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make emotional hires. After RR dumped WVU, WVU should've waited a few days to collect themselves, and then sit down and think about hiring someone new. I remember vividly telling WVU fans that they'd really regret the hiring of Mr. Stewart. Great, WVU won a BCS bowl game. Big deal. And now your fanbase and administration are so emotionally scarred by the loss of RR, that you feel vindicated to hire an 80-year-old man as your coach?

Emotional hires at IU with Bill Lynch and Miami (Fl) Larry Coker both turned those programs upside down or in opposite directions they were going. Both never should have been made and neither should WVU hiring Stewart.
    I don't disagree with a word you said, but I would like to add that at the time, there really weren't many attractive options available for WVU to consider.

Those who were being mentioned for the job:

Terry Bowden: Look up the word "emotional hire" in the dictionary and this one is right underneath Bill Stewart, given the obsession over Bobby Bowden.

Jimbo Fisher: Probably the best choice of the ones being mentioned, but would have never left succeeding Bobby Bowden in lieu of going to Morgantown.

Butch Jones: Former Rodriguez assistant who has wrecked the Brian Kelly train in Cincinnati. If you read the UC football thread, there are a lot of people who aren't happy with Jones right now.

Doc Holliday: Eventually hired by WVU in the same role he held at Florida, then burned bridges on the way out heading to Marshall.

Looking at this list, could you argue that any of the coaches listed would have been better than WVU hiring Stewart? I don't blame WVU for doing it, as it did assure continuity and complete self-destruction of the team, but they should have looked to replace Stewart last season.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't disagree with a word you said, but I would like to add that at the time, there really weren't many attractive options available for WVU to consider.

Those who were being mentioned for the job:

Terry Bowden: Look up the word "emotional hire" in the dictionary and this one is right underneath Bill Stewart, given the obsession over Bobby Bowden.

Jimbo Fisher: Probably the best choice of the ones being mentioned, but would have never left succeeding Bobby Bowden in lieu of going to Morgantown.

Butch Jones: Former Rodriguez assistant who has wrecked the Brian Kelly train in Cincinnati. If you read the UC football thread, there are a lot of people who aren't happy with Jones right now.

Doc Holliday: Eventually hired by WVU in the same role he held at Florida, then burned bridges on the way out heading to Marshall.

Looking at this list, could you argue that any of the coaches listed would have been better than WVU hiring Stewart? I don't blame WVU for doing it, as it did assure continuity and complete self-destruction of the team, but they should have looked to replace Stewart last season.

Also mentioned was Skip Holtz. Which is who I was hoping would get the job. He wasnt ready for the head job when he took over for his dad at So. Carolina, he consistantly built top caliber CUSA teams with everyone's 2nd tier recruits and believe he will take USF consistantly to a top 15 caliber team that will not wilt in the cold.

Plus it would been funny first time daddy came to watch and someone mentioned 88.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

NC State up 10-7 at half. Looks like its been more of a passing game between Geno and Russell Wilson early on.

23-7 NC State with less than five minutes remaining.

WVU has turned the ball over four times, the last was a Jock Sanders muffed punt return that set up a NC State TD that has pretty much ended the game.

I'll be shocked if Stewart is the head coach next season. I look for him to resign given everything. You can tell that the players just aren't into the game tonight.

Pathetic performance. Thank God the Jeff Mullen era is over.

Turn Off Ads?