Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 WVU Football

Re: 2010 WVU Football Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I say its optimistic because Stewart is still the coach.

If WVU sticks to the ground game and let Noel Devine and Tavon Austin carry them, 10 wins is possible. If Stewart decides to spread the wealth and get away from the gameplan (Gator Bowl), WVU could lose a couple more than they should.
    Stew has said that he's going to back to a more conservative offense this year. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm hoping it means lots of running the football.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason that I worry about Geno is that he isn't as mobile as Jarrett was. Just think of all of the times that Brown escaped trouble in the pocket and made a play with his legs. I understand that Geno is somewhat mobile as well, but I get the feeling from Stewart's comments early in fall camp that Geno will not be Brown running the football.

The offensive line will have to perform much, much better this year to secure a 10-win season.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

and now there's evidence that WVU wore light pads in practices earlier than allowed, both this year and last.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    and now there's evidence that WVU wore light pads in practices earlier than allowed, both this year and last.
    What is this Mickey Mouse stuff, what is it about the NCAA getting on to school's athletic programs for PRACTING??? Heaven Forbid.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-03-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: masked profanity

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    What is this Mickey Mouse stuff, what is it about the NCAA getting on to school's athletic programs for PRACTING??? Heaven Forbid.
    YouTube - Allen Iverson talks about PRACTICE.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-03-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Article regarding the WVU-Marshall series continuing:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5477716

I wish there was a central place in the state that the game could be held and accomodate the fans from both schools instead of constantly fighting over venue.

At the same time though, I am hoping the series does not get renewed. I'd rather WVU and Marshall meet in the St Petersburg Bowl (wouldn't surprise me if that happened sometime) and for Marshall to win. Then when WVU calls wanting to renew the series, tell them "Thanks but no thanks".
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Since WVU will not agree to a home-and-home series with Marshall I would prefer for the series to end. As the article pointed out, WVU has had home-and-home arrangements with East Carolina, which is in the same conference as Marshall.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 08-20-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Since WVU will not agree to a home-and-home series with Marshall I would prefer for the series to end. As the article pointed out, WVU has had home-and-home arrangements with East carolina, which is in the same conference as Marshall.
    This. Any legitimacy to the "smaller conference" argument about 1-1 goes out the window when you play a team from Marshall's own division.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    This. Any legitimacy to the "smaller conference" argument about 1-1 goes out the window when you play a team from Marshall's own division.
    East Carolina and WVU have been playing for 20+ years. Marshall and WVU have not. East Carolina just invested into a big renovation and expansion in their football program that puts (in terms of seating) near Mountaineer Field. Joan C. Edwards stadium holds 37k. Comparing Marshall and ECU in terms of financial gain is a joke.

WVU and ECU has played 17 times since 1985. 10 times in Morgantown, 6 times in North Carolina. That would be 10 to 5 if you dont count 1986 as being the return trip for the games in 1981-1982. Which means you guessed it for 25 years WVU and ECU have been playing 2 for 1s.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    East Carolina and WVU have been playing for 20+ years. Marshall and WVU have not. East Carolina just invested into a big renovation and expansion in their football program that puts (in terms of seating) near Mountaineer Field. Joan C. Edwards stadium holds 37k. Comparing Marshall and ECU in terms of financial gain is a joke.

WVU and ECU has played 17 times since 1985. 10 times in Morgantown, 6 times in North Carolina. That would be 10 to 5 if you dont count 1986 as being the return trip for the games in 1981-1982. Which means you guessed it for 25 years WVU and ECU have been playing 2 for 1s.
    And suddenly I remember why I don't try to debate WVU fans. The Dave Poe school of thinking reigns supreme among the Eers fan base.

Problem is, ECU and Marshall are two different teams. Since the GMAC bowl game, ECU has taken off and become the class of C-USA while Marshall never really adapted.

At least Marshall has beaten ECU once.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Problem is, ECU and Marshall are two different teams. Since the GMAC bowl game, ECU has taken off and become the class of C-USA while Marshall never really adapted.

At least Marshall has beaten ECU once.
    Marshall was set back badly by probation. People really underestimated the impact those lost scholarships would have. And then, we hired Mark Snyder.

Things are changing quickly in Huntington. The past several days have seen some changes Herd fans have been clamoring for, all at the direction of AD Mike Hamrick: no more Country Roads, the removal of the "Band Lady" as announcer, a new Marco costume, the adoption of kelly green by the entire athletic department and much more. The stadium renovations of this summer will surprise a lot of WVU fans who haven't seen Huntington since the last WVU-MU game there.

And suddenly I remember why I don't try to debate WVU fans. The Dave Poe school of thinking reigns supreme among the Eers fan base.
    Distance:
    Marshall: 206 miles 3:15
    Greenville: 480 miles 8 hours

There is a HUGE base of alumni in Charolotte area for WVU. They use this game as a means to reach that base. Anyone from Huntington can travel up to Morgantown for any game they choose.

Marshall has no room for any sort of expansion in the current stadium and no where to add on to it because of the design of it. Its stuck in a division IAA sized stadium playing IA football.

East Carolina played for years on 2 for 1 games with WVU. Now they have shown they are spending the money neccessary to upgrade so they could have a position to get 1 for 1 with WVU. East Carolina is constantly on the short list of possibilities if the football schools ever get the balls to expand. Just because the two schools are in the same conference means nothing when you look at the other issues with scheduling.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-20-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Marshall was set back badly by probation. People really underestimated the impact those lost scholarships would have. And then, we hired Mark Snyder.

Things are changing quickly in Huntington. The past several days have seen some changes Herd fans have been clamoring for, all at the direction of AD Mike Hamrick: no more Country Roads, the removal of the "Band Lady" as announcer, a new Marco costume, the adoption of kelly green by the entire athletic department and much more. The stadium renovations of this summer will surprise a lot of WVU fans who haven't seen Huntington since the last WVU-MU game there.
    I'm guessing the Dave Poe you are referring to is the one from the Parkersburg News & Sentinel.

No matter what improvements Marshall makes, it isn't going to matter. Until Marshall wins (and likely even after that), WVU is going to perceive Marshall the same way that many of WVU's supposed "rivals" view them, secondary.

2009 CUSA Attendance numbers
    No. School Avg. Attendance
    1. East Carolina 41,742
    2. UCF 38,078

3. Southern Miss 30,696
    4. UTEP 29,010
    5. Memphis 25,795
    6. Houston 25,242
    7. Tulane 25,147
    8. Tulsa 22,502
    9. Marshall 22,236
    10. SMU 21,348
    11. UAB 17,987
    12. Rice 13,552

41k would be a new highest attendance for Marshall at their current stadium.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?