Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bench down the stretch

The bench down the stretch

Bench is a little light on experience. Sure, there's Cairo. But the rest of the bench is relatively inexperienced.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the Reds replace Nix, or possibly even Heisey, with an experienced bench player.

Matthews Jr. is a possibility. Or someone in a trade.

The Izzy/Springer moves indicates to me that Walt wants some more vets for the stretch drive. The bench is an obvious spot for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The bench down the stretch

But Dusty will start them because he only likes vets!!!11!!!!1!!!!111!!!

/SD
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bench is a little light on experience. Sure, there's Cairo. But the rest of the bench is relatively inexperienced.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the Reds replace Nix, or possibly even Heisey, with an experienced bench player.

Matthews Jr. is a possibility. Or someone in a trade.

The Izzy/Springer moves indicates to me that Walt wants some more vets for the stretch drive. The bench is an obvious spot for it.
    I proposed in the July trades thread that Luke Scott would be a swell target...here is what I wrote in that post (forgive me for quoting it verbatim):

A very modest trade target idea:

Luke Scott (OF/1b for the Orioles)

The ex-Astro lefty hitter would be a HUGE upgrade to Nix and a back-up option to Joey at 1b (he's logged 10 games at 1b for the O's this year).

Coming into tonite's game Scott's 2010:

.273/.346/.515 for an .862

His platoon splits are actually pretty even this year, altho he does, not unexpectedly, hit righties a bit better.

This team would be markedly better with him on it, and I can't imagine it would take all that much to get him from Baltimore.

Just a thought.
    Add in another double and single for Scott today. He would be a HUGE upgrade on Nix, give them a back-up option for Joey, and give them a legit bat to spell Bruce and Gomes on a regular basis.

His OPS was .898 coming into today's game. His stat page from baseballreference.com:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cottlu01.shtml
    Last edited by membengal; 07-21-2010 at 04:59 PM.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Ty Wigginton would be a smart addition. Can play 1st, 3rd, 2nd & LF in a pinch although prefer he mainly only play 1st and 3rd. He'd be an upgrade to Cairo in the short term as a starter while Rolen is on the DL and improves the bench in the long term. Maybe we could also pick up Luke Scott in the process.

Micah Owings, Danny Dorn & Jose Castro/Kris Negron is a fair package. 3 guys not really in the Reds cards. Maybe throw in Matt Maloney if they pay some of those guys salary.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-21-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

What about Mike Sweeney.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    What about Mike Sweeney.
    What century is this?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    What century is this?
    He's 36, with .802 OPS and would cost nothing. If we're looking for a guy to come of the bench, hit one out or at least work a walk, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Micah Owings, Danny Dorn & Jose Castro/Kris Negron is a fair package. 3 guys not really in the Reds cards. Maybe throw in Matt Maloney if they pay some of those guys salary.
    Maloney might have some value to Baltimore who is having a hard time finding 5 guys to pitch in their rotation without allowing 6 runs a night right now.

Maloney, Del Rosario and Dorn for Wiggington and Cash.

Reds need to make space at AAA for Perez this is a win win situation.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The bench is what, 2 IF, 2 OF, C? Janish is solid. Heisey is solid. Cairo, to my surprise, has been decent, but considering Janish is the plus defender, I wouldn't mind upgrading his bat. Nix is who we thought he is. A guy who plays solid defense and hits doubles, but that's it. There are worse things for a bench guy to be.

I don't read the Springer/Izzy moves as indicating Walt want vets. I think he just wants to add some talent and isn't willing to pay the prices teams are demanding for rental talent.

While I'd be happy swapping Nix out for somebody who can do more, but I'm not sure what Matthews adds. Nix is probably a better defender than him at this point and possibly a better hitter considering that Matthews OPS hasn't cleared .700 in 3 years.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    He's 36, with .802 OPS and would cost nothing. If we're looking for a guy to come of the bench, hit one out or at least work a walk, why not?
    He's about four years younger than I thought. His injuries over the last several years aged him in my mind.

He would certainly be attainable, but he'd only be a back-up 1b. Who gets kicked off the roster to make room for someone as positionally challenged as Sweeney?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ty Wigginton would be a smart addition. Can play 1st, 3rd, 2nd & LF in a pinch although prefer he mainly only play 1st and 3rd. He'd be an upgrade to Cairo in the short term as a starter while Rolen is on the DL and improves the bench in the long term. Maybe we could also pick up Luke Scott in the process.

Wiggy plays those positions in name only. He's a very poor fielder. I'd take him over Cairo, but I'm not sure he's an upgrade work trading talent for.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

And he's not having near the year with bat that his teammate Luke Scott is. Scott makes a far better target to upgrade Nix than bringing in Wigginton for the IF. Wigginton's OPS is .757 to Scott's .898 coming into today...

Wiggy's page on baseballreference:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...iggity01.shtml

I love the Luke Scott idea.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

.298/.348/.421/.770

Miguel Cairo is not the problem.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If Nix goes, the replacement needs to hit lefty, like Scott. You can't have an all right handed bench.

I think Cairo is going nowhere. I don't love his defense at third, but he can hit and has hit. I don't understand the complaints about his hitting.

I disagree that Walt isn't looking for veterans. I think he clearly is, otherwise he wouldn't be digging for guys like Izzy and Springer.

It's even possible that Heisey could go down to AAA and return in September, with a veteran coming in.

Turn Off Ads?