Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Just finished Peter Carey's Parrot and Olivier, a fictional take on DeToqueville's Democracy in America. Carey's a gifted writer (two Bookers, no surprise there) and his parallels with the waywardness of contemporary democracy serve as interesting commentary.

Next up: William Trevor's The Story of Lucy Gault and William Vollman's brick Europe Central.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Just finished "Radical" by David Platt. I highly recommend it to fellow Christian believers. Very convicting, and and energizing, stuff.
    My dad loved that book as well. That's one I'm going to read soon.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have a 1st edition of that, plan on reading it.. it's the Ball Four of football, the basketball version is Life on the Run by Bill Bradley and Hockey has The Game by Ken Dryden
    Just finished reading this after I saw you mention it here. It didn't have the humor of Ball Four but was very interesting nonetheless. Bradley's writing is very introspective and analytical, and he gives good insight into what it was like to be a pro athlete in New York. There are also some interesting stories to compare and contrast what it was like for his black teammates.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

In the past week or so I've finished; "1984", "The Great Gatsby" & "The Stranger". I had read them all before a few years ago and I thought they were all better 2nd time around. I'd say 1984 & TGG are a bit better than The Stranger but all were great reads.

Changes. The latest in the Dresden Files series.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Finished "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. Excellent read once you get use to the odd jargon.

"I viddied a nice devotchka with real horrorshow groodies" lol.

Just finished The Chris Farley Show. Verry interesting read.

2/3 through 'Bob Dylan in America' by Sean Wilentz. Excellent book. I've always avoided Dylan bio's, but this one focuses on the influence of culture and history on the development of Dylan's music. Not sure I will hear Dylan the same way again.

And this finally cleared up what I've never understood about 'Tangled up in Blue'--multiple POV's!!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Currently reading "The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism" by Timothy Keller. It is a challenging read, as he discusses some very heady philosophical topics, but it is definitely worth it for great nuggets spread throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    And this finally cleared up what I've never understood about 'Tangled up in Blue'--multiple POV's!!
    Correct, very Joycian in nature.

Ron Rosenbaum wrote in Slate that Dylan had told him he wrote the song after spending a weekend immersed in Joni Mitchell's Blue.

The album (Blood on the Tracks) is awesome

Finished "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. Excellent read, I couldn't put this one down.

'33 Questions About American History You're Not Suppose to Ask" by Dr. Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Correct, very Joycian in nature.

Ron Rosenbaum wrote in Slate that Dylan had told him he wrote the song after spending a weekend immersed in Joni Mitchell's Blue.
    I've heard that. This book claims Dylan came up with the title after his art teacher, working through a dry spell by painting a blue still life of a vase, said, "I'm tangled up in blue."

Not that Dylan would ever adjust a story...

Has anyone read Real Love by Greg Baer? I'm getting it tomorrow.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

After watching The Pacific, I decided to pick up With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. I'm just getting ready to start it.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?