Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I just bought all 8 books of Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortailty. I've read the first 7 and didn't know there was an 8th until a few months ago, so I am re-reading it from the beginning. It's a fun read.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A History of Modern Germany: The Reformation by Hajo Holborn

ADD Reading list

Breaking the Slump: Baseball in the Depression Era - Charles C. Alexander

The Longest Season - Jim Brosnan

Bums - Peter Golenbeck

U.S. History Uncensored: What Your High School Textbook Didn't Tell You - Carolyn L Baker

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

The Longest Season - Jim Brosnan
    Do you mean "The Long Season?" Got me all worked up thinking Brosnan wrote a sequel I didn't know about (besides "Pennant Race," I mean).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I Am Legend
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Do you mean "The Long Season?" Got me all worked up thinking Brosnan wrote a sequel I didn't know about (besides "Pennant Race," I mean).
    Correct, "Long" found a pristine 1st edition paperback at Powells for 5 bucks 2 weeks ago.... I swear it's been in a box for the last 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Keith Richards - Life

I'm about a third of the way through. Fantastic so far.
    I bought this for my radical rock n' roll daughter for Xmas.

But I'm going to read it before her while trying to keep it looking new.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just finished Game Six. Very good read. In some ways I thought it was better than The Machine. I liked the way Frost gave the background of each player as they entered the game. You learned much about each player that participated in that game. Which was nearly everyone on both rosters. I was a little leary because I thought this book would be a Red Sox lovefest with much pining over what could have been. It really wasn't like that at all. He gave good balanced look at the game and all the aftermath of the Series. All Reds fans should read this book.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re-reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series.

"A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. Roy give it 5 stars. I just idly pulled it off the library shelf but discovered it was a real gem.

A great dog person book but also highly recommended for anyone else. Turns out dogs get reincarnated and this dog gets reincarnated several times. Many touching life stories ensue about dogs and people, both tragic and happy.

I looked it up on Amazon and 240 of the 263 reviews gives it 5 stars. Pretty remarkable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin. Light, funny insightful and easy to read. Highly recommended if you are looking for something that fits the above description.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Recent reads:

Willie Mays, The Life, The Legend by James Hirsch.

Followed immediately by The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron by Howard Bryant

Was coincidence that I read Aaron right after Mays. The two are featured prominently in each book, and it was fascinating to see how each was portrayed as both a protagonist and antagonist. Was also good to read up on Giants history as they were marching through the playoffs & WS this year.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer: A Road Trip into the Heart of Fan Mania by Warren St. John. Solid.

Just about done with The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever by Mark Frost. Also solid.

Just recently finished the Frankenstein trilogy, by Dean Koontz. Was as good as I expected it to be, and a different twist from most previous Frankenstein works. I know at one point there was a movie in the discussion stages, based on this trilogy, but talks broke down over a disagreement about directing, screenwriting, etc? I don't remember the facts, but I hope at some point it gets back on track. I think it has the potential to be a really good flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Re-reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series.
    Haven't re-read them yet. Instead I've decided to read as much other nautical fiction that I can find. Here is what I've come across this year, but other than a few I think it's just hard to compare anything to O'brian.

Reading Stockwin's Kydd series right now. Does as good a job with the nautical terminology as O'Brian, but his stories are less imaginative. He copies the Aubrey/Maturin relationship with a similar one of his own.

Read two Marryat books Actual contemporary stuff- Marryat was a naval officer.

Read 5-6 of Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie series. These are fun- Lewry is similar to Aubrey, with all his shortcomings on display.

Read most of Hornblower, after Marryat, probably the original nautical fiction. Great stuff, although I get a little tired of Hornblower's brooding.

Alexander Kent's Bolitho Series is marginal. The nautical side is all right, but the character is just too invincible, too unerring.

Dudley Pope's Ramage is similarly uninspiring.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Just recently finished the Frankenstein trilogy, by Dean Koontz. Was as good as I expected it to be, and a different twist from most previous Frankenstein works. I know at one point there was a movie in the discussion stages, based on this trilogy, but talks broke down over a disagreement about directing, screenwriting, etc? I don't remember the facts, but I hope at some point it gets back on track. I think it has the potential to be a really good flick.
    There was a movie made of the first book I believe, but there was some controversy and I think Koontz demanded his name be taken out of any credits.

Ah yes, from ImDB on Frankenstein (2004):

"The concept for this telefilm was originally developed by Dean R. Koontz and collaborator Kevin Anderson, and intended as a television series. When USA Networks joined the project as production company and distributor, Koontz signed on as screenwriter and executive producer. Martin Scorsese also signed on as executive producer, and a cast (most of whom were in the final product) was assembled. Following creative disputes between USA and Koontz, both Koontz and Scorsese left the project (Scorsese was later convinced to return). Koontz and Anderson later developed the concept into a series of novels (as "Dean Koontz' Frankenstein"), but Koontz allowed USA to use the names of his characters as long as they altered the plot and removed his name from all consideration."

I agree that the story, done faithfully to the books, could make either an excellent mini series or even series. Koontz has a way of putting controversial things in his books in ways that make you curious enough to really read up on them. Like the genetic manipulation in Frankenstein, or the bioethics movement brought up in One Door Away From Heaven. He's not heavy handed with it, but he does make you wonder enough if some of this stuff is really going on to do more reading.

Turn Off Ads?