Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 71 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hate the fact that Borders is closing -- shopping online for books is nowhere near as pleasant an experience as going to an actual bookstore is.
    I loved going to books stores. I usually ended up buying more than I originally intended to. Heck I still enjoy heading out to Barnes and Nobles and browsing all they have to offer.

I tend to read the same authors all the time. When one of the authors I read comes out with a new book I generally head out and buy it. I could head out to the local Boarders and pay close to $30 for the book or buy it off amazon for $20. And now with the advent of readers like kindle I can browse the bargain bin or even the free books instead of paying inflated paperback prices. Boarders would charge roughly $8 for a paperback, even more if the book had become a hit movie or a hit read. They just weren't run with the best fiscal sense especially when other mediums hit the market.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ghost Story - Jim Butcher.

I love the Dresden Files books.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Drood picked up steam about 500 pages in, and the last third or so was downright urgent. Unfortunately, the ending was pretty anticlimactic.

I had intended to start Caleb Carr's Sherlock Holmes pastiche "The Italian Secretary" next, and I still may, but it would be nice to get out of the Victorian era for a bit. This one does echo back to Mary Stuart's time, though.

A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor. I've heard it described as "the best travel book written", thus far it just feels overwrought.

For Whom the Bell Tolls. My first Hemingway ever. I like the sparseness of it, but I'm still kinda bored.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I've nearly finished "The Italian Secretary". Very disappointing, but short enough that I felt as if I should finish it anyway. The book seems very slight. Holmes just seems to be there, with Carr relying on our already knowing all about him. The Holmes of the book does nothing particularly amazing and just seems to fill a hole. I also have a question about the historicity of the way the murder of Mary's favorite Rizzio is portrayed. Everything I've read had him killed in front of her (she was seven months pregnant with James at the time) then thrown down the stairs, but Carr has him dragged away and killed on the stairs. I may be mistaken about this and will check later.

I have "The Devil in the White City" and an Oliver Sacks book on music and the brain waiting on deck, and I'm getting impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I have "The Devil in the White City"...

Read this last spring on a recommendation from my sister after we saw it in the gift shop at the Chicago Art Institute. Really liked it...
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I preferred the serial killer parts of Devil in the White City to the architecture parts, and I was even living in Chicago at the time. This made me feel dirty.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I enjoyed The Devil in the White city, however spolier alert: I was very dissapointed the two stories never really crossed over.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I enjoyed The Devil in the White city, however spolier alert: I was very dissapointed the two stories never really crossed over.

eh, i don't know. just the notion that the horrifying and the amazing were taking place during the same time and in such close proximity made it pretty fascinating reading for me..esp. with added tidbits such as mark twain being very ill while in chicago for the expo.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    eh, i don't know. just the notion that the horrifying and the amazing were taking place during the same time and in such close proximity made it pretty fascinating reading for me..esp. with added tidbits such as mark twain being very ill while in chicago for the expo.
    I agree with that part, especially the little tid bits like Franklin Lloyed Wright's father working on the White City. I just kept expecting the two tales to come together in some fashion, which they never really did. Perhaps I was setting the book up for failure in that regard. I'd still highly recommend it to anyone looking for a book to read, but that will always be in the back of my mind.

I am about a quarter of the way through Brad Thor's latest novel "Full Black". If you like Thor and Scot Harvath you will enjoy this novel.

I'm reading The Extra 2%, which is about how the new Tampa Bay Rays management turned things around.

Grunge is Dead. Loved it.

Finished 'The Devil in the White City'. I was impressed with the author's craft, particularly the way he chose details and descriptions that brought the story to life without either boring or overwhelming the reader.

Turn Off Ads?