Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

^^^^ 11/22/63

One of my favorite King novels ever. Fascinating story.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm re-reading The Natural. I read it once a long time ago, so I thought I'd pick it up again. So much better than the movie.

at the moment I read a german chess book

the last english books I read were "God is Not Great" written by Hitchens and "The God Delusion" written by Dawkins

both pretty good books, but sometimes the language was hard to understand for someone who isnīt a native speaker

I'm reading "Moonwalking with Einstein" and it's absolutely fascinating.

Moonwalking with Einstein follows Joshua Foer's compelling journey as a participant in the U.S. Memory Championship. As a science journalist covering the competition, Foer became captivated by the secrets of the competitors, like how the current world memory champion, Ben Pridmore, could memorize the exact order of 1,528 digits in an hour. He met with individuals whose memories are truly unique—from one man whose memory only extends back to his most recent thought, to another who can memorize complex mathematical formulas without knowing any math. Brains remember visual imagery but have a harder time with other information, like lists, and so with the help of experts, Foer learned how to transform the kinds of memories he forgot into the kind his brain remembered naturally. The techniques he mastered made it easier to remember information, and Foer's story demonstrates that the tricks of the masters are accessible to anyone.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143120530
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Finished several books over the summer.

Ken Follett's second book in the Century Trilogy, Winter of the World.

He's amazing at weaving a complex story with non-fictional literary characters and fictional literary characters. Pillars of the Earth is still my favorite novel of Follett's.

Read the first Jack Reacher book, nothing that interesting, but it was an easy and fast read. Same for Brad Thor's Athena Project.. Might be the weakest Thor book I've read so far.

Best summer reading this year was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Absolutely amazing non-fictional account of Louie Zamperini's WWII battles, captivity, freedom, and redemption. My wife is a history teacher, and she loved it too.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Best summer reading this year was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Absolutely amazing non-fictional account of Louie Zamperini's WWII battles, captivity, freedom, and redemption. My wife is a history teacher, and she loved it too.
    One of my all-time favorite books. If it were a novel, it would be too outlandish to believe. Incredibly, Zamperini is STILL alive and kicking at age 96.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Air-Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller. I love Miller, especially in the age of efficiency. He's wonderful at summoning the power of mystery. Acerbic and anti-bourgeois in the best way possible.

Suddenly, a Knock on the Door by Etgar Keret. Strange and thought-provoking in a way that few of his contemporaries can match.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    One of my all-time favorite books. If it were a novel, it would be too outlandish to believe. Incredibly, Zamperini is STILL alive and kicking at age 96.
    As I was reading it, I had to keep asking myself if Louie made it out alive or someone else had relayed the stories. Just an incredible man. I saw a recent update about movie plans for the book, and I hope they don't ruin it.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapt...n-gains-actors

Tim Cowlishaw's Drunk on Sports arrived yesterday. I've only read the forward and intro so far but it looks to be pretty good.

Motley Crue: The Dirt was also in that shipment so I'll start it soon as well.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Read the first Jack Reacher book, nothing that interesting, but it was an easy and fast read. Same for Brad Thor's Athena Project.. Might be the weakest Thor book I've read so far.

I have recently began reading the Jack Reacher books. They are all quick and easy reads.

[I]The Athena Project[I] is Thor's weakest effort. He originally was going to start a series around that book but it appears he has abandoned that idea, deciding to incorporate some of his characters in the Harvath novels.

I am currently reading Daniel Silva's [I]The English Girl[I]. Silva is one of my favorite authors and so far the book is off to a good start.

Senor Votto

Has anyone read Ender's Game?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Several times, the last being in May. One of my favorites.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Great book.

Bonehunters, book six of the Malazan series by Steven Erikson. If you enjoy fantasy (a la George RR Martin), you'd enjoy this series. A little less edgy than Martin but much better characters. I almost quit reading it after book one (Garden of the Moon) because I was so confused but I'm glad I stuck with it. It might not be my favorite fantasy series but it might be the best and most rewarding that I've read.

Last time I read a George RR Martin book he killed three main characters on the dedication page.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

foxfire123 (09-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?