Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Can I Keep My Jersey?: 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond by Paul Shirley

This guy's not your average professional basketball player. Very entertaining.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

About 1/3 of the way through Game of Thrones, great book. Very well written.

I'm about halfway through Double Headers: A Major League History by Charlie Bevis. It has some pretty interesting tidbits concerning the history of double headers but I'm not sure I'd put it in a "must read" kind of category. Still, if you are interested in the more esoteric side of baseball history I'd give it a shot.

Just finished Anna Karenina. Just started Game of Thrones (watched and enjoyed the HBO series)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Can I Keep My Jersey?: 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond by Paul Shirley

This guy's not your average professional basketball player. Very entertaining.
    I loved that book!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Started "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver. Excellent so far.

But then I made the mistake of accompanying the spousal unit to the library and picked up the latest Dale Brown book (Executive Intent) and Dan Brown book (The Lost Symbol). Mindless summer reads but sometimes I need that over serious reading. I'll probably polish them off in a fw days and get back to the Kingsolver book.
    Only took me a year to get back to the Kingsolver book. Read it on the beach with feet in the Gulf.

Highly recommended. Great story, well-written, and gorgeous prose.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Book 5 of the Malazan Empire series.

Just finished Jeff Shaara's The Final Storm, about the pacific war. Only a few days before V-J day.

'Uglies' by Scott Westerfeld

'Under the Overpass' by Mike Yankoski

'The Elegant Universe' (still) by Brian Greene (I put it down for a while)

A Joseph Ellis book about (surprise) the founding of the US. Can't remember the title. edit-'American Creation'. I couldn't get into it when I first bought it, but right now am loving its philosophical bent.
    Last edited by tixe; 08-06-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: The wonders of google.

I hit the Borders close-out pretty hard. Bunch of new books on my shelf now. I'm starting out with "Drood" by Dan Simmons. Interesting conceit, but the readability suffers some from Collins trying to mimic Wilkie Collins' writing voice. And I say that having read quite a bit of Wikie Collins--Victorian era through early 1900's horror/mystery is my favorite mini-genre. I can't imagine trying to write in that voice, though.

Looking forward to, among others, "The Devil in the White City" an Oliver Sacks book about music and the brain, the story of the county in Mississippi that seceded from the Confederacy, a book that connects The Trail of Tears to the Civil War, a bunch of short stories about the end of the world. And many more.
    Last edited by tixe; 09-06-2011 at 05:33 PM.

La Dolce Vita

"truth and beauty" ann patchett..

highly recommend brady udall's "the lonely polygamist" and barbara kingsolver's "the lacuna".
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I hit the Borders close-out pretty hard. Bunch of new books on my shelf now. I'm starting out with "Drood" by Dan Simmons. Interesting conceit, but the readability suffers some from Collins trying to mimic Wilkie Collins' writing voice. And I say that having read quite a bit of Wikie Collins--Victorian era through early 1900's horror/mystery is my favorite mini-genre. I can't imagine trying to write in that voice, though.
    I went there as well a couple of weeks ago. I stocked up with a couple of financial books, a couple of Ben Mezrich books, cleaned them out of Michael Connely, and got Brad Thor's new one "Full Black" as well as Daniel Silva's new one "Portrait of a Spy".

It was sad to see Borders go out of business but it was pretty evident as to why. Even though they were having a closeout sale it still was only a little bit cheaper than what I could have gotten books from amazon for. Heck some of the books were probably a tad more expensive.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Dollar Sign on the Muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went there as well a couple of weeks ago. I stocked up with a couple of financial books, a couple of Ben Mezrich books, cleaned them out of Michael Connely, and got Brad Thor's new one "Full Black" as well as Daniel Silva's new one "Portrait of a Spy".

It was sad to see Borders go out of business but it was pretty evident as to why. Even though they were having a closeout sale it still was only a little bit cheaper than what I could have gotten books from amazon for. Heck some of the books were probably a tad more expensive.
    The discounts have increased since. I ended up averaging about $5 a book.

The tall ladders are still too expensive, though--$600.00.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Hate the fact that Borders is closing -- shopping online for books is nowhere near as pleasant an experience as going to an actual bookstore is.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?