Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    After spending the majority of the last few years on a strictly non-fiction diet, I was given a copy of "A Game of Thrones" -- which is apparently being made into an HBO miniseries -- by a friend.

I'm 100 pages in, and every character that's been introudced is more depressing than the last.
    I finished reading that a month or so ago, in anticipation of the HBO series. I came away very pleased. By the end, there were 3-4 characters that I viewed as my "favorite" and not really sure where the 2nd book will go. I'll probably wait until after the HBO series to start it, but I'm looking forward to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Me too. In a alternative universe, American Teenagers flock to this account of adolescence and ignore Hogwarts.

For those that are into graphic novels, I highly recommend A Sickness in the Family by Denise Mina. The book tells the story of the dysfunctional Usher family, a nice little nod to Poe. It is a short but thrilling read.

Drek. Seriously. Sometimes you just need junk food for the mind, and right now it's the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris for me.

I also have the graphic novel series of the Stand and the new King book lying here, but haven't started them yet.

Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes
    Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems
    Organic Chemistry and Structure
    Fundamentals of Physics
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes
    Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems
    Organic Chemistry and Structure
    Fundamentals of Physics
    Oh, yikes... Pre-Med?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Oh, yikes... Pre-Med?
    Chemical Engineering

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Chemical Engineering
    Oh, cool... where are you doing your degree at?

Always good to know of another engineer on the board. I'm an EE myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Oh, cool... where are you doing your degree at?

Always good to know of another engineer on the board. I'm an EE myself.
    I'm at OSU

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

I'm currently reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit). It's a gripping saga of a one-time Olympic runner whose B24 crashes during World War II and how he survived that and the Japanese POW camps he was in. I'm about halfway through and it's very gripping.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Reading Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer & Dick Schaap, a great behind-the-scenes look at the Packers and the NFL in 1967. I'm not even a Packers fan but I'm really enjoying it. One of those books I've been meaning to read for years.

Also just finished Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst, since it was recommended right here on RedsZone. Very entertaining.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Tomrrow I begin Broken April by Ismail Kadare. It'll be my first book originally written in Albanian.

I have been reading the Steig Larrson trilogy recently. Finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and have about 150 pages left with The Girl Who Played With Fire. They are fantastic reads and I have a hard time putting down the novel. The two unfortunate things about them is that they were originally written in Swedish and the towns are completely foreign. And the second unfortunate thing is Larrson originally had a series of 10 books but died with only 3 finished and one in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have been reading the Steig Larrson trilogy recently. Finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and have about 150 pages left with The Girl Who Played With Fire. They are fantastic reads and I have a hard time putting down the novel. The two unfortunate things about them is that they were originally written in Swedish and the towns are completely foreign. And the second unfortunate thing is Larrson originally had a series of 10 books but died with only 3 finished and one in the works.
    Yup, great reads. I read the first 2 books last summer down on Sanibel Island with my feet in the Gulf and read them morning noon and night. Bought the 3rd book after we got home. Great fun.

I highly recommend the 3 Swedish-made movies of the same titles as well. Noomi Pace is absolutely spot-on and extraordinary as Lisbeth Salander. Kinda spooky as a matter of fact.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Legends Never Die

If you guys would like a quick, witty, and funny book to read. I just finished reading a book by comedian Patton Oswalt called Zombie; Spaceship; Wasteland. It was very well written and talks about his life and how he came to viewing the world in the way he does. I strongly suggest reading this book if you have ever seen any of his work even as Spence in the King of Queens.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Turn Off Ads?