Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Just finished reading the The Hidden Oasis, don't do that yourselves.

And now I'm beginning The Confession by Grisham.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. I have read two of his previous books and they were excellent. So far I'm enjoying this one as well.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Finished up two books over the weekend. Hogan by Curtis Sampson which was a bio on the great golfer. Interesting read, nothing earth shattering, but it spells out all the troubles the man overcame, as well as dealing with his pyschy a bit. Good read overall, about 250 pages, that can be picked up and put down at whatever pace you like w/o missing too much. As a side note, if your looking for a book to improve your golf game from hacker to somewhat respectable, I'd recommend Hogan's 5 fundamentals of golf.

Also finished up Game of Thrones, thanks the rec of several redszone poster after I saw HBO was picking it the movie adapation (I guess that would be extended series adaption) this April. I enjoyed it very much, gives you several characters to root for, though you're not sure which ones you'll ultimately side with, even as the book comes to an end. I figure I'll be reading the 2nd book in the series sometime after I watch the HBO series.

The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven: How a Ragtag Group of Fans Took the Fall for Major League Baseball

http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Coc.../dp/1569762880

Interesting read so far as I was too young to appreciate the situation at the time.

Plowing my way through Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. The book is like 3 novels in one and I just can't find the time to put a major dent into it. I have been reading it for about a month and still have 300 pages to go.

Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise.../dp/0743277023

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Plowing my way through Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. The book is like 3 novels in one and I just can't find the time to put a major dent into it. I have been reading it for about a month and still have 300 pages to go.
    Just got that as a gift. It looked like a mamouth, is it worth the time investment if I have some others on the shelf?

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Just got that as a gift. It looked like a mamouth, is it worth the time investment if I have some others on the shelf?
    IIRC, its was nice respite from Jack Ryan's ascendency to world emperor and about Clark and Chavez and black ops. I read it back in the day before Clancy jumped the shark. This book has been out for quite a while, hasn't it?

It's worth it if your a Clancy fan. He is still in pretty good technothriller form in this book. Not "Red Storm Rising" or "Sum of All Fears", but still pretty good.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    The only other Clancy books I have read are Teeth of the Tiger and Hunt for the Red October. I don't think Rainbow Six gets nearly as technical as October but I don't think it is as good as Tiger.

Here is my one big complaint with Rainbow. It truly is 3 novels wrapped into one. Clancy does a good job of describing the back stories but they come at all parts of the novel. I mean I am 500 pages into the novel and a new back story starts to develop. But I will say this. I just got done reading an action scene that was 40 or so pages long and I couldn't put down the book. It am starting to get closer and closer to the end and it keeps getting more interesting, I just wish it could have been done in 600 pages instead of almost 900. I would recommend reading it as long as you realize its going to take you a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The only other Clancy books I have read are Teeth of the Tiger and Hunt for the Red October. I don't think Rainbow Six gets nearly as technical as October but I don't think it is as good as Tiger.

Here is my one big complaint with Rainbow. It truly is 3 novels wrapped into one. Clancy does a good job of describing the back stories but they come at all parts of the novel. I mean I am 500 pages into the novel and a new back story starts to develop. But I will say this. I just got done reading an action scene that was 40 or so pages long and I couldn't put down the book. It am starting to get closer and closer to the end and it keeps getting more interesting, I just wish it could have been done in 600 pages instead of almost 900. I would recommend reading it as long as you realize its going to take you a while.
    What you described to me is classic Tom Clancy. It seems like everybook takes about 350-500 pages to 'get into', but once the background has been laid, the story really takes off and he takes you on an exceptional ride. I've often wished the first parts weren't such a struggle to get thru, but I think its part of what makes the last 400-600 pages so great.

FWIW, "Without Remorse" is by far my favorite Clancy book, one of my favorite fictional books ever. There's long been discussion of an impending movie, but its hit multiple snags along the way and I have my doubts it will ever get put into full production. However, if someone thought it a good gamble to start the John Clark series hoping that character could do for the movie studios what Jack Ryan did, it would be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    IIRC, its was nice respite from Jack Ryan's ascendency to world emperor and about Clark and Chavez and black ops. I read it back in the day before Clancy jumped the shark. This book has been out for quite a while, hasn't it?

It's worth it if your a Clancy fan. He is still in pretty good technothriller form in this book. Not "Red Storm Rising" or "Sum of All Fears", but still pretty good.
    I read several Clancy novels years ago but I became burned out on his work by the time I finished Debt of Honor. I started Executive Orders but never finished it. I have two or three other Clancy novels that I received as gifts that I have never started to read. His first novel, The Hunt For Red October, remains my favorite. I did like Red Storm Rising for the insights into how a war between NATO and the Soviet forces could have been fought.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post

FWIW, "Without Remorse" is by far my favorite Clancy book, one of my favorite fictional books ever.
    Totally agree. John Kelly is a fascinating character.

I read Bleak House was. There is a novel, detective Mr. Bucket. Clearly, Mr. Doo literature in the 18th century the first dectective figures. I do dectective story, of course, the real concern, Bleak House there are more than just a mystery.
    Last edited by mitchaldavis; 01-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchaldavis View Post
    I read Bleak House was. There is a novel, detective Mr. Bucket. Clearly, Mr. Doo literature in the 18th century the first dectective figures. I do not dectective story, of course, the real concern, Bleak House there are more than just a mystery.
    Huh? A few words short of a thought there.

School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?