Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Have been on a Michael Connelly kick. If I find his books on sale for my kindle I snatch them up. Finished The Concrete Blonde and have moved on to The Last Coyote.
    Most of Connelly's books are available to borrow through libraries on your kindle, just a heads up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My wife bought me a Nook a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't bought anything. I'm usually in the middle of five novels and one non-fiction book at a time, but I haven't found a single book recently I even want to read, let alonf purchase.

I've been bookless since finishing Book Five of A Song of Ice and Fire, and have no idea what to read next.

Heck, I haven't wanted to read any tie in fiction, like Star Wars or Trek, and I usually read two or three of those a month.

This makes me sad, its the longest book drought I've had in 20 years. Just nothing I'm interested in right now.

Just finished Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn. If anyone else has read this book I'd like to hear your take on it.

"The Ambition" by Lee Strobel
    &
    "Gospel" by JD Greear

I tend to read 2 books at once. Weird, I know.

Just about to finish up Awareness by Anthony De Mello

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Just finished "I am the messenger" by Markus Zusak

"young adult book" someone passed along to my wife. Started out, OK, could have had more detail, but the further I got in the book the more I enjoyed. Just kept getting better and better; loved the ending. Could have been a little more detail/development, but in the end I think it worked well as is.

Started "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Rielly. So far, some interesting things I didn't know about JFK's life, not sure what to expect.
    Just about finished with "Killing Kennedy" and have to say that I really enjoyed it. Bill O'Rielly changed my outlook on Kennedy. Having been born a decade + after Kennedy's death (sorry for the spoiler) I was of the belief that he was overrated as a president, however the book paints a picture of what made the man so popular while also touching on his low points like the Bay of Pigs. I used to think he/america was lucky that Kuscheve (sp?) didn't have the backbone to escalate the cuban missle crisis, but the book paints a picture of Kennedy holding strong and essentially calling Russia's bluff.

Great quick read.

Last edited by camisadelgolf; 02-13-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Just finished Francona. Better than I thought considering I grow so tired of reading sox and yankees books. Liked the insight to the front office more so than Franconas story.

Now reading Piazza book Longshot. Pretty good so far. Love reading books on how baseball players got to where they are and his story is pretty unique.

I'm reading the Passage of Power by Robert Caro (the 4th of now 5 planned books on LBJ). It covers 1958-1963. I can't speak highly enough of Caro's books.
    Where we gonna go?

Junk. Dreck. Junk Food for the Mind. Whatever you want to call it. I've not been in the mood for heavy, educational "good literature" stuff right now, so I've been reading Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series.

I started "Overdosed America" but moved it to the bathroom b/c it seems like it will be very boring and tedious. It's been on my "in queue" shelf for quite awhile though, so I really feel like I should finish it.

I'm also a little over a hundred pages into "Life". The Keith Richards memoir. Buckle up...

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Have you read The Book Thief? It's extraordinary, probably one of my favorite books of all time. It was also marketed as YA here in the States, but not in Zusak's native Australia.
    My wife brought it home for me last week, about 90 pages thru it. Pretty easy read, and so far, enjoyable. Really enjoyed the "jessie owens incident" or whatever that was titled. I know his parents grew up in Germany, so i wonder how much was imported from the stories of his families living there at the time (I'll assume his parents were too young to live thru WW2, but his grandparents certainly would have gone thru it, perhaps older uncles/aunts, cousins, etc...

I'm reading Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. It is a first person account of someone who infiltrated the world of the soccer hooliganism in the late 1980's. It is a tremendous read. I won't spoil his conclusions, but they are unsettling.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm reading the Passage of Power by Robert Caro (the 4th of now 5 planned books on LBJ). It covers 1958-1963. I can't speak highly enough of Caro's books.
    I've never made it through The Power Broker because I always get distracted, but it's on my list to actually finish this year. We'll see if that actually happens.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Re-reading an old favorite, Death is a Lonely Business by my all time favorite Ray Bradbury.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?