Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Re-reading an old favorite, Death is a Lonely Business by my all time favorite Ray Bradbury.
    I've heard of him.

I've held on to my copy of "Death is a Lonely business" even though it's a cheap paperback ad half of the pages have flown away.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just started read through number four of The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien.

It's like visiting old friends.

I'm reading Will in the World by Stephen Greenblatt. So much of what we know of Shakespeare's life is speculative, and Greenblatt does a great job of trying to cull together a picture of his life from his work, not his limited biographical resources. He constantly sets it off with reminders that it's still a lot of guesswork, but it's fascinating and a great exercise in critical analysis. And more entertaining than I'm making it sound.

Side note, this is the first book I've ever picked up and read that I honestly can't remember whether i've read it before. I should have treated my brain better when I was younger.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Just started read through number four of The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien.

I thought about going back through them, but instead embarked on a quest to read every age of sail book in my library. After a year or so, I found nothing that tops O'Brian.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I don't re-read books very often, but I found myself in a library reading the first few chapters of Ender's Game the other day, and afterward bought the kindle book.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Reading Richard Ford's "The Sportswriter" and "Independence Day".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just picked up the audiobook of Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I've been looking forward to reading it for some time.
    I just finished "Kavalier and Clay" and thought it was excellent. Just started another Chabon book, "Wonder Boys." I liked the movie so I'm looking forward to the book.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Just finished two very good books. The recent book, Calvin Coolidge by Amity Shlaes is an excellent read. Well written and very informative.

The second book is a true life mystery from 1912. A Case For Solomon is a really good read about a boy that went missing from his family in Louisiana for eight months. When the boy was finally found and returned to his family another woman from another state entirely claimed he was her child as well. A real life mystery that is an eye opener at the end.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

I've read them three times so far, and I've got a couple of them on audio as well. I started reading those when he was still alive writing them and had to wait for the last 3 or 4 to come out.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Og Mandino Worlds Greatest Salesman Very short and a great read so far. Should finish it tonight and move on to A Better Way to Live by same author.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Finally getting around to reading Game Of Thrones.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

1356 by Bernard Cornwell.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

'The Politician', by Andrew Young.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    1356 by Bernard Cornwell.
    I love Cornwell. I've read most of his books. Last one was Death of Kings.

Turn Off Ads?