Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Richard Bachman was Stephen King's evil twin.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Speaking of Bachman. Did anyone ever read Rage?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I did a lot of years ago. I heard King say once that he's sorry he wrote it, since at least on school shooter claimed it as an inspiration.

Personally I blame The Boomtown Rats (not really.)
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I did a lot of years ago. I heard King say once that he's sorry he wrote it, since at least on school shooter claimed it as an inspiration.
    I'm sorta /kind of surprised this never got made into a movie . Now granted i can understand why it hasn't now what with all the school shootings since columbine it would seem probably insensitive i suppose . But i've always thought that it would've made a good movie .

That's a hard one to find now. You can find original copies of the Bachman books, but King refuses to allow that one to be reprinted now.

From the Wikipedia page about Rage:

In a footnote to the preface of Blaze (dated 30 January 2007) King wrote of Rage: "Now out of print, and a good thing."

In a keynote address King delivered to the Vermont Library Conference, he explored the complex sociological and cultural issues surrounding this novel and its apparent link to school shootings, which he placed within the broader context of America's fixation on violence.

"The Carneal incident was enough for me. I asked my publisher to take the damned thing out of print. They concurred." King went on to describe his view on this subject, which acknowledged the role that cultural or artistic products such as Rage play in influencing individuals, particularly troubled youths, while also declaring that artists and writers can not be denied the aesthetic opportunity to draw upon their own culture—which is suffused with violence, according to King—in their work.

7. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    I'm sorta /kind of surprised this never got made into a movie . Now granted i can understand why it hasn't now what with all the school shootings since columbine it would seem probably insensitive i suppose . But i've always thought that it would've made a good movie .
    I always thought The Long Walk would make a heck of a good movie in the right hands. But now they'd say they were copying Hunger Games!

9. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-10-2013),marcshoe (11-10-2013)

Senor Votto

I finished Misery by Stephen King over the weekend. Might be my favorite King book other than The Shining.

I started reading A Time To Kill. I have started it probably about 3 times but never really got past the first couple of chapters before I was onto something else. Grisham has long been one of my favorites but I was young during his early years. (The Firm, Pelican Brief, Client) His new book is a sequel to A Time to Kill so I figured I would give it another try.

I finished Gone Girl yesterday. That is one messed up book. I've heard people say they hated the ending, but the ending flows naturally from the second half of the book, and the same wrongness saturates the whole thing. I mean wrongness in the best sense of the word. Fantastic, original book. About the only false note is that the male lead isn't followed by the police from the time his wife disappears.

David Fincher's filming this, with Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, and Neil Patrick Harris. (minor spoiler coming) I've never seen Pike in anything and hope that she is sufficiently off kilter.

New audiobook: Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Think Coraline for adults(there is so much in common it has to be intentional.) Dark and magical.

Team of Rivals.

And I'm quite surprised it has nothing to do with Walt Jocketty bringing on Ex-Cardinals to the Reds.
    Where we gonna go?

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    New audiobook: Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Think Coraline for adults(there is so much in common it has to be intentional.) Dark and magical.
    I was actually just looking to buy that one. How is it?

I was actually just looking to buy that one. How is it?
    I finished it yesterday and liked it very much. It has a feel to it that's more similar to Gaiman's short stories than his novels. The narrator is an adult remembering forgotten events from when he was seven, and we see adult implications of a child's point of view. He says this explicitly a few times and implies it all through the story.

Gaiman's my favorite living writer, fwiw.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I just finished reading a few of the Hardy Boys books. Not quite a stimulating as I remembered them being.

Just finished Nick Webb's excellent biography of Douglas Adams, "Wish You Were Here." The world lost a great creative mind and wit when Adams left us 12 years ago at the too-young age of 49.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?