Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

For some reason, I have always gravitated to the classics when I'm not reading my books for college. I'm reading 1984 by Orwell from time to time. I picked up Dantes Inferno the other day so I might start in on that early next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm reading Bill Madden's biography of George Steinbrenner. The thing I find most amazing is the amount of GMs that the Reds and Yankees shared in the 80s and early 90s.
    Where we gonna go?

I'm reading NeXt In Line by Scott Gaede. It chronicles Chris Mack's first year as Xavier's head coach. I'm not very far in but it is enjoyable so far. Highly recommended for my fellow Musketeers and college hoops junkies.

Island of Lost Maps, the story of a map thief.

Harvey's primary narrative (which originated as an article for Outside magazine) concerns the exploits of Gilbert Bland, a man who on the surface, according to Harvey, did indeed seem bland but who stole approximately $500,000 in antique maps from poorly secured rare-book libraries. Bland was apprehended in 1995 at Baltimore's Peabody Library; he was ultimately charged in several jurisdictions after numerous universities discovered extensive losses, but he plea-bargained for a light sentence. Harvey painstakingly reconstructs the map thief's various identities for Bland, a "chameleon," had abandoned a number of spouses and children and had engaged in questionable business ventures. Thus is Harvey launched into a larger meditation on the lure of "terra incognita," both literal and metaphoric, whether of Bland's enigmatic life or of undiscovered continents. Harvey uses the Bland case to explore both cartographic history and the dangers of obsession.
    -- Publishers Weekly
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Island of Lost Maps, the story of a map thief.

There's a web site (and potential book) devoted to the theft of baseball documents. It's pretty interesting.

http://haulsofshame.com/index.php

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I picked up Dantes Inferno the other day so I might start in on that early next year.
    Hell of a read.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Whole Earth Discipline by the eternally rad Stewart Brand

Just got around to picking up a copy of "The Machine" by Joe Posnanski.

I am glad that I waited--I found it in hardback for $7.99 on the bargain table at Joseph Beth Booksellers.

I have some pretty long flights coming up in a few weeks, so I am sitting on this one until then.

I just finished "Shantaram" by David Gregory Roberts. Phenomenal book. 930+ pages but well worth the long read.

About to start reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy.

A friend has convinced me that I must read the entire Eragon series by buying me the set for Christmas. No more avoiding it by saying they're checked out at the library.... lol!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Just read "Against Medical Advice" by James Patterson and Hal Friedman. It's the true story of Hal's son Cory and his fight with Tourrette's Syndrome, OCD and Anxiety Disorder. It is both uncomfortable and uplifting. Also, a quick easy read.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

"Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I started reading The Last Train to Hiroshima without knowing the controversy surrounding it. A few things seemed a little too amazing to be true; it turns out there is a very good reason for that. I would highly recommend it as an anti-war work of art, not so much as a piece of solid historical research.

Geoff Thompson Watch my back...the autobiography of a jack of various trades (punk, menial worker, nightclub bouncer, Martial Arts fighter) who is currently a martial arts, teacher, writer and instructor has been into martial arts since 30 years..

Turn Off Ads?